Thread: Question on Royal Photograhic Society (RPS)

Default Question on Royal Photograhic Society (RPS)

This seems like a stupid question but I really don't know....so pls help me out..

Does anyone know if you intend to go for "LRPS", would you need to be a member of RPS first ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tbteng
    This seems like a stupid question but I really don't know....so pls help me out..

Does anyone know if you intend to go for "LRPS", would you need to be a member of RPS first ?
    http://www.rps.org/lrps.html
    The Licentiateship is open to all members of The Royal Photographic Society. Non-members of the Society may also apply for the Licentiateship but if they are successful, the Distinction will not be approved until after they have been elected to Membership. The Licentiateship is awarded either for competence in practical photography, or in recognition of the passing of an appropriate examination in photography by the Society.

you could send an email to
    http://www.rps.org/

for clarifications
    Last edited by sebastiansong; 2nd April 2004 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbteng

Yes, in order to make use of the distinction...

No you don't need to be a member. But if and when you get your LRPS you need to become a member. Telling him he needs to be a member to make use of the distinction doesn't at all answer his question if he needs to be a member first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    No you don't need to be a member. But if and when you get your LRPS you need to become a member. Telling him he needs to be a member to make use of the distinction doesn't at all answer his question if he needs to be a member first.
    That was based on the assumption that the applicant has passed the distinction assessment!

In the distinctions application form, it asks you if you're a member and if not, it refers you to Section 6 of the form for non-member applications. This is what it states in Section 6:

Quote Originally Posted by RPS Distinctions Application Form
    6. NON-MEMBER APPLICATIONS
    Would you like to become a member of the Society regardless of the outcome of the Panel meeting? Yes / No

I confirm that with this application for the Licentiateship, I also enclose an application for membership of the Society together with the Annual Subscription. I understand that should my Licentiateship application be successful, my membership application will automatically be processed. If it is not successful I shall have the option either of allowing my Membership application to be processed or of having the Annual Subscription refunded. I understand that my Licentiateship application fee will not be refunded.

Signature of Applicant:
    So basically, if you are not a RPS member at the time of the distinctions application, you need to apply for RPS membership together with your LRPS application but you reserve the right to cancel this membership application if you fail your LRPS assessment.
    Last edited by SzennyBoy; 2nd April 2004 at 10:37 PM.

I know all that. But the question was,

...if you intend to go for "LRPS", would you need to be a member of RPS first?

The answer is no, you don't.

I guess it all depends on what you define as "intend to go for LRPS".

If its for you going out to shoot, sort and prepare for your 10-images, then I agree with your answer - No, membership not required.

But if intending to go for the LRPS means already having your submission prepared (prints, slides or CD) and ready for posting to Bath for the actual assessment, then Yes, you either need be a member already or apply for it at the same time!

Edited to add...
    For tbteng's (and anyone else's) benefit & info...
    There is a Overseas Service Representative for RPS in Singapore, Mr Tan Lip Seng FRPS, and he can be contacted through his website. Considering that S'poreans and overseas applicants cannot physically attend the distinction workshops here in the UK, its best to consult any local RPS representatives or fellow local RPS distinction holders for assessment criteria and general advice on proposed submissions before sending it in. This saves the hassle and heartache of having panels failed because certain critical assessment criteria were overlooked (I know a few cases where this has happened!).
    Last edited by SzennyBoy; 2nd April 2004 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SzennyBoy
    I guess it all depends on what you define as "intend to go for LRPS".
    Not what I define, but the common understanding of that phrase.

If you intend to go for an award or intend to run for a position, then you are contemplating trying to obtain that award or said position. If you intend to go for an LRPS you do not need to be a member.

But if intending to go for the LRPS means already having your submission prepared (prints, slides or CD) and ready for posting to Bath for the actual assessment, then Yes, you either need be a member already or apply for it at the same time!

And how do you apply for it at the same time if you need to already be a member?

There are two options in your latter "definition". Specifically, you can [1] already be a member. Or [2] submit an application at the same time at which point you are not a member. So you need not be a member at the time of application.

You can go for an LRPS, not make it, and never be or have been a member at any stage.

If the RPS are the only people who will convince you, then here you go:

TBTeng: "Would you need to be a member of RPS first?"

RPS: "Non-members of the Society may also apply for the Licentiateship".

Or does that depend on my/their definition of non-members?

PS/= you aren't related to Bill Clinton by any chance are you?