Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: See what others can't

Quote Originally Posted by pointblankshots
    Attached is another of my ads. Those in the market should know this. Anybody familiar that I know in this forum?

http://img45.photobucket.com/albums/...ts/add_eng.jpg
    Did u shoot the ad AND conceptualise the ad? All alone? No inputs from the clients at all?

Default Different teams

The conceptualizing of the ad is done by the advertising agency, copywriting & art-direction of the ad. My responsibility will be very execution based and the sculpting of the image. Probably, also valuable inputs as to whether if the ad will work out well. Also, to overlook the post visual production.

A well planned ad will consist of a good team effort & numerous rounds of briefing. The creative team from the ad agency, myself and a team of photographer's asst, hair/make up, producer to run the coordinations. Importantly is the client's willingness to do an ad that stands out among the rest. For my team, it is important never to overlook the concept & visual guideline. After all, in a good ad, concept comes before images.

Being the photographer, the end result of how the ad appears to the public wil be solely dependant on the photographer. Also, the photographer must anticipate logistical issues if the shoot is on location, basic things like checking the weather forecast, equipment check, to even lunch breaks(as in who's getting the food(a good photographer asst will be in charge of that though).

One must know that when the unforseen happens during a shoot, the photographer's reputation will be held responsible for not getting the team together.

Default Ghibli

Hi ghibli, I would be terribly exhausted and would have quitted commercial photography if I were to undertake the whole job from conceptualizing. Photography itself is a career siong enough when it comes to an ad campaign, art directing & copywriting is another.

As much as the whole team work together, we have different inputs when the ad is in the oven.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    you saw it in the Matrix… to bend a metal spoon with your mind, you must realise: “there is no spoon.”
    haha! ok, i'll try this new concept the next time round!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

so..ie its what we.ve been unconsciously following in our hearts all along..?somethign like: "feel, dont think, believe in your self, just go.."

Gee guys, the more i read, the more i think you guys are getting confused. Photography is an understanding of many factors. What Pointblankshots is saying is more related to commercial photography. As everyone here would believe, photography is very subjective, one mens meat is another mens poison. What I find nice might just turn out to be trash to some of you. It's not merely about feelings... if you don't think about the shots, you won't be able to get the shots. Before every shots is taken, there must be a visual or a picture in your mind, telling you how the should be done and if the shots can be done. Its not merely having the feeling that this next shot will be THE shot. If there is no proper planning, you can try shooting your butts off and still can't get THE shot for what i believe. If you lack of the necessary skills or equipment to get the job done, tell me how would you be able to execute THE shot that you "feel" is good?
    Many at times in the commercial photography trade, photographers are there mainly to execute the shots and to advice clients on certain details. However, there are times where clients do not even know how the shots should be taken (mainly direct clients). A proper understanding of the clients' trade and "taste" would allow you to create a conceptual ad for them. I am sure some of you guys out there would understand and have gone thru' multiple meetings with clients just to understand what they really want.

*applauds*

Thank you pointblankshots, for standing up and speaking out.

Finally.

Wink

Hi ghibli, I would be terribly exhausted and would have quitted commercial photography if I were to undertake the whole job from conceptualizing. Photography itself is a career siong enough when it comes to an ad campaign, art directing & copywriting is another.

As much as the whole team work together, we have different inputs when the ad is in the oven.
    Thanks. I knew all that, of course, but I sensed that some ppl here don't.
    Different ppl buy their camera and take up photography for different reasons, subject to their own situations and constraints, and there is no one right way, so live and let live. Cheers!

pointblankshots: hi I think its great that you shared your own personal view of photography and esp commercial photography. thanx alot! really enlightening!

Yeah. Pretty interesting stuff. Glad I'm not in that line, though.

Default Misconception

A handful of photographers would wanna start a trade in commercial photography. Here's clearing the misconception. You must know that once in the commercial sector, you won't shoot what you want anymore, rather you shoot what your clients want. Secondly, it's no longer something you do at your free time, again your shoot schedule is at your client's disposal. Thirdly, no more monthly 'expected' salary, you'll have to be prepared to wait months before you get paid in some cases. Ultimately, no more schoolboy errors cos' you'll be penalized hard. There isn't really such thing as a reshoot in most cases.

What pointblankshots has shown us is something we the weekend shooters dream to accomplish. Some of us might not get there. Pointblankshots shows us the goal for us to aspire to. It's the journey of trying to get there that is challenging.

Although I do not take people shots which pointblankshots is very good at among other subjects, I would download some of my favorite shots of his and study them.

I thank him for opening up my eyes.

quick question: who's pointblankshots?

From the style, the only name that springs to mind is Geoff Ang.

Anyhow, no time to look thru all the posts but my take is that:it's important to have a strong concept but for me, who's very new to photography, more often than not, what happens at the shoot is totally different from what you (ok, *I*) conceptualised and in the end, I gotta react to what happens then.

And in the end, the pix dont turn out as fantastic as u imagined them to be. Anyway kudos to pointblankshot who had his concepts, went for it and made his ideas come to life.

Default Fashion Photog

Fashion is just in individual style by individual photographer. Quite an understatement by you mentioning that in Fashion, one remembers Geoff Ang. Geoff is a good photog, so is Wee Khim & Mark, so many out there who's good really. Winning an award is a recognition of good efforts, but surely not the best out there(with no offence to Geoff). This fashion topic is too versatile to conclud an individual as 'The Best'. I ain't here to proclaim yet another one of them, in fact, i'll never be, cos I'm not like them.

Every commercial photographer's got his sense of style in photography or fashion appeal. There're people who would rather enjoy shooting fashion the way one would protray it to be...

Anyway, good to know, the top guys are well known among you guys... With them around, S'pore will be up against many countries in time to come...

Redundant question about who I am, just one of the many commercial photographers who churn out ads...
    Last edited by pointblankshots; 8th April 2004 at 10:32 PM. Reason: add text

Default power man

wah..really really enlighten us...hope to see more of this kind of "GOD" here in clubsnap...really helps us alot....like your 7 jing 8 mai being opened..

your shots are very creative..something we need to look into..and not just shooting blindly when there are butts and tits infront of us..hehehhe

Fashion is just in individual style by individual photographer. Quite an understatement by you mentioning that in Fashion, one remembers Geoff Ang.
    Oops. That's not what I meant , I referred to "from the style". I meant that your style is reminiscent of Geoff Ang's style (the expressions and colours used) and not "in fashion, I can only think of Geoff Ang, hence u must be him". Hope this clears things up. And of course, how I compare both your styles are based on personal observation. No offence.

Quote Originally Posted by pureflow
    PointShootBlank style isnt like Geoff Ang's. you left out the big names like ChuanDo, Leslie Kie, why dont you mention them?
    er..coz as i said, based on my personal observation, this is the comparison i came up with?

Not pushing a point, juz dont want to be misunderstood

And relak! Comparison to me is not about how gd one is verus another, but it's like in normal conversations, where examples are just used to identify another subject. Besides, why this whole thing came up was also because I was curious about his identity

concept people, concept, its all about working your vision! open your eyes and think about what you want to do with photography! Thank You pointblanksshots! There are creative people out there!!!

Default Well

Well guys, I ain't sour about competition, in fact, I always thought that there is no competition really, as photography is individual. As jawsure has mentioned, one man's meat is another man's poison... Well, if you're really into photography, just simply work on what you do best, & good works will follow..

Hey pureflow, didn't know you're shifting... yup, coffe downstairs my studio soon... I'm shifting to river valley also, with jawsure... will tell you when it's ready...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast