Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is gitzo Tripod really needed??

Default Re: is gitzo Tripod really needed??

Well, Benro is a good alternative if one is looking for a lighter weight (of the tripod), and does not "lust" after brand names (i.e. Gitzo, Manfrotto, etc.).

My bro's Benro is capable of what my Gitzo does (in terms of weight of gear, stability, anti-lock sleeves, etc.), but at almost 1/2 the price (I got my Gitzo Explorer in HK for around S$500)...

If you can wait till then (buying in HK), you can potentially save at least $100+, if not more, depending on the model.

Cheers
    The DIFFERENCE is not in the "Cue", it is in the SKILLS...

not sure why....but i always prefer manfrotto........manfrotto cf 055CXPRO4 with 488RC4 ballhead
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

Quote Originally Posted by fv18m View Post
    Well, Benro is a good alternative if one is looking for a lighter weight (of the tripod), and does not "lust" after brand names (i.e. Gitzo, Manfrotto, etc.).

My bro's Benro is capable of what my Gitzo does (in terms of weight of gear, stability, anti-lock sleeves, etc.), but at almost 1/2 the price (I got my Gitzo Explorer in HK for around S$500)...

If you can wait till then (buying in HK), you can potentially save at least $100+, if not more, depending on the model.

Cheers
    My Benro is heavy, find tripod too light uncomfortable

What the diff with mf 190 series and 055 series?
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

My height is 170 n I notice benro trAvel angel series CF tripod. Anyone got that ?

i dun think u need a gitzo to last 10 yrs. most brands can do that. i think you should decide by the cost you should buy for based on how often you will use it, that will be more cost effective.
    α850 | SAL2470Z | SAL135F18Z | SAL70200G | SAL50F1.4

I hardly use it. Probably one or twice a month. I just want something sturdy and good that's why I narrow down to manfrotto and gitzo

Blog Entries

when i finally got a gitzo 1541T i use it more often than my more than 10 year old manfrotto 055B
    it is small and light enough to bring along when ever i go shooting.

Thanks ortega

Just wonder if I get a gitzo tripod, can I mix and match other brand ball head or must use gitzo?

get a Markins Q3T to go with the Gitzo 1541T =)
    <<To be updated>> / Vivitar S1 70-210 f3.5

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
    get a Markins Q3T to go with the Gitzo 1541T =)
    Yeah and don't forget to add a quick release plate for the Q3T head.

Total damage shld be ard $1250 ($800 for Tripod + $375 for Head + $75 for plate), that's the latest quote from TK last week when I enquired.

If go for Manfrotto, which is abt 400g heavier n 3 cm longer but as robust and reliable, total damage is just $680 ($490 for 190CXPRO4 Tripod + $190 for 498RC2 Ballhead with plate) about half the price difference!!

So, which is more economical and makes more sense? The choice is clear, you decide for yourself.
    Last edited by crazysurfer; 1st May 2010 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VainKid View Post
    Just wonder if I get a gitzo tripod, can I mix and match other brand ball head or must use gitzo?
    Yes you can mix and match.

light no good leh.

when i carry light tripod i no feel pro.

best if got 10 kg tripod.

Just my 2 cents comments...

TS, I think you have to consider this few things. I am a newbies before and i read alot of different ppl advise, in the end i buy Manfrotto. (I use tripod quite often) After using it I know i make a wrong choice.

Things to consider (very important)
    1) Weight for your tripod - nothing more than 1.6kg, remember you still have your gear to carry, so tripod cannot be too heavy (sometime i carry it for whole day, even go oversea i bring them too - Remember if you buy a tripod and keep them at home all the time or seldom use it at all, than you will waste your $$$ to buy a good tripod)

2) Load that the tripod can carry, should choose at least 7kg & above (you will upgrade your gear slowly, example like flash, lens, battery grip, remote etc, so when you upgrade the weight go up and your tripod can't carry it, you have to buy a new tripod - waste even more $$$, remember better ballhead is heavier so the weight also included into it, all this MUST consider)

3) Suitable height for you to use only (3 section or 4 section is not important, the important things is it MUST suit your height, you might need to use the tripod for quite some time, when you take many shoots, if the height don't suit you and you need to keep bending down, you will feel tried easily, than what's the fun using tripod)

Spend abit more and get a good tripod, you don't go wrong anyway.

I will go for GITZO (That will be my next tripod).
    Go to the shop and get a feel of it and you will understand what i mean.

Have fun using it...
    A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.

why dont you ask yourself - do you really need a tripod? when do you use a tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by crazysurfer View Post
    Not a good idea to have a hook under the centre column as chances of causing the centre column to creep downwards when extended with weights hanging on it is there and together with the weight of your set-up mounted on top of the column, the force acting down on the column is a lot and this will eventually wear the column with this downward force acting on the collar lock.

extending centre column is always the last solution to use. and even with it extended, logic will tell u not to hang 10kg on the hook ya. most of the time it is the camera bag and what is inside the bag. so normally what will be that weight?

also, how u hang the weight very important. in singapore, i see many dont know how to do it properly. most only hear say hear say, hang the bag onto the tripod to have better stability, but they dont go read up the important thing, "HOW".

the clamp system can take it one lar, else something most be wrong with all the engineers designing the tripod.

for ur reading
    Basic guidelines on selection of tripod and tripod head
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016

anyway, CF or Alu or even Balsalt depends on individual. for me, i dont mind the weight and size, only concern with stability, reliability & $$. so Alu suit me just fine.

also, the way i handle me tripod, CF will not last more than 2 years, even give me top range ballhead also will not last as they are not as rugged as me manfortto big mama ballhead. note i say handle, not use.
    Last edited by denniskee; 1st May 2010 at 03:09 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Denniskee: excellent, excellent advice there. Love the link! Thanks for taking the trouble to write that long post!

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post

extending centre column is always the last solution to use. and even with it extended, logic will tell u not to hang 10kg on the hook ya. most of the time it is the camera bag and what is inside the bag. so normally what will be that weight?

also, how u hang the weight very important. in singapore, i see many dont know how to do it properly. most only hear say hear say, hang the bag onto the tripod to have better stability, but they dont go read up the important thing, "HOW".

the clamp system can take it one lar, else something most be wrong with all the engineers designing the tripod.

for ur reading
    Basic guidelines on selection of tripod and tripod head
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016

anyway, CF or Alu or even Balsalt depends on individual. for me, i dont mind the weight and size, only concern with stability, reliability & $$. so Alu suit me just fine.

also, the way i handle me tripod, CF will not last more than 2 years, even give me top range ballhead also will not last as they are not as rugged as me manfortto big mama ballhead. note i say handle, not use.
    So should I get a gitzo tripod with manfrotto ball head instead of markin as manfrotto are more rugged?

Quote Originally Posted by VainKid View Post
    So should I get a gitzo tripod with manfrotto ball head instead of markin as manfrotto are more rugged?
    alamak, i already say subjective one lar. ur requirement is different from mine. eg, so many car makers, all gets u from A to B.

its ur money, so its ur call. one man's meat another's poison.

do ur own research. u know how to surf internet, this must be piece of cake for u mah.

my big mama ballhead is manfrotto 268
    http://www.oktagon.co.id/Detail.aspx...t=899130111236

if u think that weight is good for u, go ahead.
    Last edited by denniskee; 2nd May 2010 at 02:29 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast