Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61

Thread: I'm so new.

  1. #41
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    Goodness, you all talking about lenses already. The young chap still don't know about the tripartite relationship between Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO ... let alone how to manipulate the 3 to get good bokeh (blur background effect).

    Let him get off the ground first ... no bicycle yet, how to take off training wheels?

    And he's not sit for his exams yet ... so don't worry him with all this different combination, else he'll write "Canon 550D + Tamron 17-50mm lens" for his Chemistry paper! Let him clear his papers first and show to his parents he can make it. Else he'l only get a P&S instead.

    Don't worry Jared. You still have a long ways to go ... we are all here to guide you if you need help ... and if you need seniors to help go down to ensure you don't get your "head chopped off", when you buy your gear.

    Cheers!

    (This boy won't be able to sleep tonite, salivating about all the different gear he'll be getting for his June holidays!)
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  2. #42

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    ^
    ^

    Is it 3 years warranty? At where?

    Where's the disclaimer?
    Read up where?

  3. #43

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    wow! thats a good deal, is it 3 yrs local warrenty? or 1 yr shop warrenty? haha this is damn important!

  4. #44

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    Dingaroo HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA well said! damn funni too LOL!

  5. #45

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Goodness, you all talking about lenses already. The young chap still don't know about the tripartite relationship between Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO ... let alone how to manipulate the 3 to get good bokeh (blur background effect).

    Let him get off the ground first ... no bicycle yet, how to take off training wheels?

    And he's not sit for his exams yet ... so don't worry him with all this different combination, else he'll write "Canon 550D + Tamron 17-50mm lens" for his Chemistry paper! Let him clear his papers first and show to his parents he can make it. Else he'l only get a P&S instead.

    Don't worry Jared. You still have a long ways to go ... we are all here to guide you if you need help ... and if you need seniors to help go down to ensure you don't get your "head chopped off", when you buy your gear.

    Cheers!

    (This boy won't be able to sleep tonite, salivating about all the different gear he'll be getting for his June holidays!)
    Omg. Are you human.

    Why can you read minds? :O

    What you said is totally what I'm thinking now. SPOT-ON.

    And yes, I would salivate (:

    But I scared I won't get for my June's. ):

    OH AND YOU ARE DARN FUNNY LOL.

  6. #46
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    Welcome to CS

  7. #47

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    ^
    Thanks!

  8. #48

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    Quote Originally Posted by kenny888 View Post
    wow! thats a good deal, is it 3 yrs local warrenty? or 1 yr shop warrenty? haha this is damn important!
    its 3 years warranty from tamron..Like wat happen to me last time when i use 18-200, i send it back to the shop that i bought it and they send it back to tamron for warranty..
    No photographer is as good as the simplest camera

  9. #49

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    okiee... i'm just wondering for the cheap sets as mentioned by oneluckyguy LOL!!!!!!! maybe those are export sets or somthing..

  10. #50

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    I like the Tamron 17-50, but I wouldn't use it for low light shooting. It's AF is unreliable in low light. Hunts more than other lenses and sometimes refuses to achieve focus even after hunting (or at least on my body it does this). Of course if you don't need it for low light, it's a great lens.

    I'd go for kit lens, and if you need to shoot in low light, a 35/50 prime is still the best bet.

  11. #51

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    ^

    Thanks for sharing your advice!

  12. #52

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    First off why DSLR? If I were you I'll get somthing like the Panasonic LX-3 or fven the Canon S90. Learn to use the aperture for depth of field and shutter to freeze or blur subject or background. Learn about exposure backlit and side lit situations and how to use EV compensation and fill in flash.

    But if you do get a DSLR Whatever DSLR is fine. Think and look at a brand's system and see what that system is gonna cost. Just get a standard lens - a 50mm equivalent for the sensor size of your chosen DSLR.

    You can shoot very nicely with a standard lens. Zooms tend to be distracting for newbies = they tend to play with the zoom and miss the shot. Or pick up bad habit like no walking abound to find the right angle - just zoom in and shoot.

    If you like my way of thinking do say so and I'll elaborate.

  13. #53
    Member voxies09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    the other thing that u can consider when you purchase dslr is do you have friends that has it? try to follow them, so you can share the lense my friends are all CANON.. hence i am planning to get mine too

  14. #54

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    @magicdragon,

    Kindly elaborate, I wanna listen.

    ^

    I don't have friends that have.

  15. #55

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    Welcome to CS

  16. #56
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNautilus View Post
    @magicdragon,

    Kindly elaborate, I wanna listen.

    ^

    I don't have friends that have.
    In that case, you might want to take up magicdragon's suggestion. Both are high-end Point and Shoots, and have the capabilities of low-end DSLRs. And you can basically learn something serious about good photography from these two models. The pricing for both will not hurt as much as even the low-end DSLRs! (somewhere around 600 to 700 bucks, if you know where to look).

    In the event that you loose interest in Photography (goodness gracious no), you can still end up with a really good PnS that has many cool Auto mode features that will beat most of the PnS these days.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 23rd April 2010 at 11:53 PM.

  17. #57
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNautilus View Post
    @magicdragon,

    Kindly elaborate, I wanna listen.

    ^

    I don't have friends that have.
    High-end PnS means those like Canon G10/11 S90,Panasonic LX-3 and more...

    If you wanna get a DSLR,can consider a 2nd hand Sony A100/200,KM 5D,Nikon D40/40x/50,Canon 300D/350D/400D/10D.They are all below $500(2nd hand)and can get you started into the DSLR world(If you want to get one).

    If you wanna get brand new ones,there are lots of choices:

    Pentax K-x(Most value for money)
    Sony A230/330/500/550
    Canon EOS 1000D/450D/500D/550D
    Nikon D3000/5000
    Olympus E-450

    P.S Just saw your first post and wanna tell you i'm 15yo this year too
    Last edited by cleonbus; 24th April 2010 at 07:19 AM.

  18. #58
    Member voxies09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    i read from newbie guide, there is 1 quote that is very logic for me, it sounds like "if you can not afford to buy a new dslr because no budget, at the end you will give up because apparently you will spent more money to gear up yourself"

  19. #59

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNautilus View Post
    ^
    ^

    Is it 3 years warranty? At where?

    Where's the disclaimer?
    Read up where?
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny888 View Post
    wow! thats a good deal, is it 3 yrs local warrenty? or 1 yr shop warrenty? haha this is damn important!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny888 View Post
    okiee... i'm just wondering for the cheap sets as mentioned by oneluckyguy LOL!!!!!!! maybe those are export sets or somthing..
    haha, you're right. it's an export set and 1 yr shop warranty only. they won't print the 'disclaimer' anywhere, but if there's smtg too good to be true, you shouldn't jump straight into buying it. If you ask the shop keeper, he won't bluff you also, but you must ask the right questions.
    Canon 500D 18-200mm | 50mm F/1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm VC

  20. #60

    Default Re: I'm so new.

    Regarding the P&S, I somehow think that I don't like that way.

    Because I believe that I would hold this "hobby" for long, so I'll just go for a not-bad (entry-level/intermediate) dSLR.
    And besides, if you want to buy, straight away buy a good one, so you won't "lose" any money by buying and buying.

    That's in my opinion.

    So I intend to go for 18-135mm with 550D.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •