Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: new to flash photography.. what flash?

  1. #1

    Default new to flash photography.. what flash?

    I'm looking to get myself into flash photography and have been looking around and kinda got attracted by the tumax range of flash.

    Cheapest start from $100 and goes to $200.

    Anyone used it before? What are your thoughts of it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by momohiki View Post
    I'm looking to get myself into flash photography and have been looking around and kinda got attracted by the tumax range of flash.

    Cheapest start from $100 and goes to $200.

    Anyone used it before? What are your thoughts of it?
    I use Tumax flash. So far so good. Good color balance & performed to my expectations
    Take the shot!

  3. #3
    Member lonarciso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    226

    Smile Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    welcome to the Club!

  4. #4
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    I saw a Tumax model on mass sale section...around 110..which I thot was rather good...but personally I have only tried Nikon and Nissin which are both very good and powerful..and also some manual strobes...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  5. #5

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    Was using a Tumax 386, powerful but seems to slightly overexpose on TTL hence using manual instead.

    Change to SB600 for the high sync speed to use during the day as tumax does not work as it sync only till 1/200 shutter speed on my D90.commander mode is fun too though have not really taken pictures with the flash yet.
    I want a White Nikon body

  6. #6

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    maybe u can consider nissin flash, its pretty famous and good. and also must cheaper then original brands plus dont forget nissin is i think easy to resell too : )

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    For budget of 200, I will recommend a Nissin Di422. If you have a budget of 400, go for a Nissin Di866. Very powerful flash.

  8. #8
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    Up the budget and get a DECENT Nikon SB-600 flash. You'll find that the colours and controls are so much better.

    No more guesswork and leess corrections.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  9. #9

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    hmm if u r keen in some really cheap and good flash, i mean really good flash which in on par with original brands in terms of specs, u may drop me a pm to discuss. no obligations.

  10. #10

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    Better to get the flash from the same company as your camera, to prevent synch issue

  11. #11

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    for 3rd party flashes, test them out first. generally they're fine like nissin etc. or drop me a pm for a full demo coz i'm using 3rd party too. i've lobang too.
    Last edited by kenny888; 27th May 2010 at 11:52 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by kenny888 View Post
    for 3rd party flashes, test them out first. generally they're fine like nissin etc. or drop me a pm for a full demo coz i'm using 3rd party too. i've lobang too.
    better not to troll the newbies threads and advertise your "lobang".... CS has a category of member called "advertiser", and they pay $$ to advertise on CS.
    What you're doing is sort of advertising, am I right?
    Exploring! :)

  13. #13
    Member sheldon22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Singapore
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by horizon_grazer View Post
    Better to get the flash from the same company as your camera, to prevent synch issue
    i agree with this



  14. #14
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    better not to troll the newbies threads and advertise your "lobang".... CS has a category of member called "advertiser", and they pay $$ to advertise on CS.
    What you're doing is sort of advertising, am I right?
    Agree with you.Kenny888,why don't we discuss about your 'lobang' during this Sat's outing?

  15. #15

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    better not to troll the newbies threads and advertise your "lobang".... CS has a category of member called "advertiser", and they pay $$ to advertise on CS.
    What you're doing is sort of advertising, am I right?
    hi, in a way kinna, but i dont literally sell them. hmm ok i let them know in pvt.

  16. #16

    Default Re: new to flash photography.. what flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Agree with you.Kenny888,why don't we discuss about your 'lobang' during this Sat's outing?
    hmmm okie u've just given me a gd idea LOL!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •