Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: did i calibrate correctly?

Default Re: did i calibrate correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hi

i did a software calibration (i.e. tuning the contrast by myself according to test image etc..), the test images appear like what they are supposed to be.

not being satisfied, i borrow my fren's spyder 3 Elite and calibrate , without ambient light measurement.

after using spyder, i found some of my old pics appear very different. the colors are more saturated.

so i request those of you whom has done calibration to help me to check the images below.

is the reflection purple? before using spyder , it was blue. now it appear purple to me after calibration.

do u see any purple here? i remember the table and the insomnia sign are blue. but they look purple to me now.

i really wonder if there is a standard for calibration. at least for either PC or Mac. perhaps the way to check if we calibrate correctly is to use color checker from GretagMacbeth?

I view it on my Dell Laptop and Mac G5. The pic #1 looked with about 20% magenta. Pic #2 is over saturated. The blue looks like 97% magenta. If 2nd pic looks purple to you, then your monitor calibration is correct. If you see blue then the monitor is not calibrated to view the true colour.
    Last edited by hotwork77; 24th April 2010 at 05:33 PM.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

hi hotwork77

tks alot...

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    I view it on my Dell Laptop and Mac G5. The pic #1 looked with about 20% magenta. Pic #2 is over saturated. The blue looks like 97% magenta. If 2nd pic looks purple to you, then your monitor calibration is correct. If you see blue then the monitor is not calibrated to view the true colour.
    Care to elaborate how could this be correct calibration when the actual color of the tables and the signage are blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I would trust geekbrains. Sounds like he has all the high-end stuff at work.
    Haha, Dream Merchant, I'm flattered . I don't have all the high end stuff, I just get to play around with them

Hi

GATF/Agfa/Dupont/Kodak/Crossfield/Fuji/DaiNippon Screen... may i know what are these? colorchart?

i don't really get what u mean. care to elaborate ?
    oops, sorry. These are company who manufacture colour/resolution chart for difference purpose. I am not too sure about pc as I use mac, the basic calibrate is simple. And between me and friends mac we manage to have very close in colour and gradation tone.

After setting up the basic point, use your inputting device make a WB on the gray/colour chart and reproduce the chart, (camera or scanner with proper lighting correct exposure).
    use your image editing software to check the gray/colour value, if you dont have a read out within tolerance then your input device is not calibrate. But if you have a good read out and visually not in order then you adjust your monitor.

Therefor calibrated chart is important. at least We have a reference to refer and compare.

Just some simple point for you

Quote Originally Posted by geekbrains View Post
    Care to elaborate how could this be correct calibration when the actual color of the tables and the signage are blue?
    On the basic level when you calibrate your monitor using a colorimeter, the device will measure the output of your monitor namely luminance, gamma, white balance etc so that the colour of the image that I see will be an exact of what you see at your end.

Correctly calibrated monitors in this case will simply show you the actual colour value of your image and that is magenta. How can that be?

2 Reasons:
    (1) When the picture was taken, the white balance setting of the camera is incorrect. Giving a result that is blueish or reddish tint to the photos. An example is shown below:

(2) If your camera white balance setting is correct but your monitor is not calibrated then you would see something like the above left picture, you will then tend to compensate by tweaking the colour values to look like the picture on the right not knowing that you may have pushed some colours into the extreme end like the blue/magenta table example.

So when I say that when my monitor is correctly calibrated and I see magenta instead of blue, I mean that my monitor is showing correctly the colour value and that's magenta. If your monitor is not calibrated and you see blue, you will be surprised that when you get the photo printed in the lab, it will come out as magenta.

Amazing but true.

hi hotwork77,

i am a little confused here.

you mean u use PS to measure the rgb value and deduce that it should be magenta and not blue?

i forgot the colr for the sign board and table; i just noticed the color changed after i calibrated my monitor using spyder, and so i wonder if sypder did a proper job or not.

For the reflection shot, the orginal color is rather dull... so i underexpose it a lot in DPP (canon's software) as i shot it in raw... it look good to me that time, but now it look awful purple..

hi hotwork77,

you mean u use PS to measure the rgb value and deduce that it should be magenta and not blue?

i forgot the colr for the sign board and table; i just noticed the color changed after i calibrated my monitor using spyder, and so i wonder if sypder did a proper job or not.

For the reflection shot, the orginal color is rather dull... so i underexpose it a lot in DPP (canon's software) as i shot it in raw... it look good to me that time, but now it look awful purple..
    Ahh... it is clearer now, I think your issue is not about calibration accuracy but one of WB. I am using Firefox Exif Viewer and see that you shot with Flash but it did not fire, I am thinking you set the WB to Flash?

If you have captured the WB incorrectly in-camera the calibrated screen will show exactly what you captured is it not? like I posted earlier if you want accuracy it has to be included in your workflow from correct WB in-camera to calibrated screen etc..

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Ahh... it is clearer now, I think your issue is not about calibration accuracy but one of WB. I am using Firefox Exif Viewer and see that you shot with Flash but it did not fire, I am thinking you set the WB to Flash?

If you have captured the WB incorrectly in-camera the calibrated screen will show exactly what you captured is it not? like I posted earlier if you want accuracy it has to be included in your workflow from correct WB in-camera to calibrated screen etc..

../azul123

You are correct. You understand the concept which I was trying to explain in so few words without boring everybody.

hi hotwork77,

I don't use photoshop to do that. Photoshop is a simple way to get that value but it is not a complete story.

There're 2 types of woorkflow:
    (1) As a photographer who's workflow goes from camera to PC only, then using Photoshoshop is a cheap viable solution.
    (2) If your workflow goes from camera to PC and then to print, then you have to use a colour densitometer to make sure that everything is fully calibrated. In my workflow, the camera WB is manually set using ExpoDisc (http://www.expoimaging.com/), the Mac, PC and colour laser printer is calibrated using Spyder3Print SR (http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-pp-s3printsr.php).

Back to your question, I did not deduce that it should be magenta and not blue. If the image is rendered as magenta whereas the actual thing is blue, then the error was introduced during the picture taking i.e. the white balance was not set up correctly. The monitor merely shows you the colour you took at that point in time.

Care to post the image of your original raw file and give a link for us to download which you said was "dull". Perhaps we can take a look and give a more appropriate answer to the question.

Ah, I get what you mean..I missed this important info
    i did a software calibration (i.e. tuning the contrast by myself according to test image etc..), the test images appear like what they are supposed to be.
    This would be then the WB which wasn't correct.

We can come to a more solid conclusion if we have the unaltered RAW straight from the camera..

I don't use photoshop to do that. Photoshop is a simple way to get that value but it is not a complete story.

There're 2 types of woorkflow:
    (1) As a photographer who's workflow goes from camera to PC only, then using Photoshoshop is a cheap viable solution.
    (2) If your workflow goes from camera to PC and then to print, then you have to use a colour densitometer to make sure that everything is fully calibrated. In my workflow, the camera WB is manually set using ExpoDisc (http://www.expoimaging.com/), the Mac, PC and colour laser printer is calibrated using Spyder3Print SR (http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-pp-s3printsr.php).

Back to your question, I did not deduce that it should be magenta and not blue. If the image is rendered as magenta whereas the actual thing is blue, then the error was introduced during the picture taking i.e. the white balance was not set up correctly. The monitor merely shows you the colour you took at that point in time.

Care to post the image of your original raw file and give a link for us to download which you said was "dull". Perhaps we can take a look and give a more appropriate answer to the question.

hi

pls download the raw here : https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B9CbN...download&hl=en

i really forgot the actual color of the water. but i don't like the color, and i lower the exposure in DPP. so it cchanged to blue. now after my spyder calibration, it appear purple.

i don't think i change the WB, as most of the time i don't really care about the WB unless i find the color is really funny.. otherwise i will just rush to do curve etc..

hi

pls download the raw here : https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B9CbN...download&hl=en

i really forgot the actual color of the water. but i don't like the color, and i lower the exposure in DPP. so it cchanged to blue. now after my spyder calibration, it appear purple.

i don't think i change the WB, as most of the time i don't really care about the WB unless i find the color is really funny.. otherwise i will just rush to do curve etc..
    Urmmm...buddy...I'm getting a blank google docs page when I clicked the link.

Urmmm...buddy...I'm getting a blank google docs page when I clicked the link.

so sorry brother..

i forgot to share it out....

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9C...YzlkMmMy&hl=en

now i tried sypder once more, and my calibrated screen has a slight blue cast..

guess low quality laptop lcd does not benefit from spyder...

hi

not being satisfied, i borrow my fren's spyder 3 Elite and calibrate , without ambient light measurement.

after using spyder, i found some of my old pics appear very different. the colors are more saturated.

so i request those of you whom has done calibration to help me to check the images below.

is the reflection purple? before using spyder , it was blue. now it appear purple to me after calibration.

do u see any purple here? i remember the table and the insomnia sign are blue. but they look purple to me now.

i really wonder if there is a standard for calibration. at least for either PC or Mac. perhaps the way to check if we calibrate correctly is to use color checker from GretagMacbeth?

I have used Spyder for calibrating my macbook pro screen. And when I look at your picture the sky reflection does not look purple but very saturated blue.

I think you missed the point, it will not get your correct colours no matter how many times you recalibrate, the source was inaccurate.

../azul123

I think you missed the point, it will not get your correct colours no matter how many times you recalibrate, the source was inaccurate.

../azul123
    Exactly!

To TS, calibrating a Laptop LCD is a hit or miss (Cheap TN Panels, CCFL vs LED Backlits, LED further classified into back mounted, edge mounted, side mounted with angled reflectors, RGB LED --> This has umpteen varieties too, Viewing Angle, Ambient Light etc etc etc) and I've spoken in detail about this somewhere in CS too..

Quote Originally Posted by geekbrains View Post
    Exactly!

To TS, calibrating a Laptop LCD is a hit or miss (Cheap TN Panels, CCFL vs LED Backlits, LED further classified into back mounted, edge mounted, side mounted with angled reflectors, RGB LED --> This has umpteen varieties too, Viewing Angle, Ambient Light etc etc etc) and I've spoken in detail about this somewhere in CS too..
    so the solution is to buy better LCD monitor and then calibrate right?

../azul123
    hi

actually i have forgotten the actual color, i start this thread bcos after calibration i saw a different color, so i request help to check if i calibrate correctly...

so sorry brother..

i forgot to share it out....

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9C...YzlkMmMy&hl=en

OK...Bro...this is what I see after the processing on my comp.
    Lens: EF-S18-55mm
    ISO: 1000
    Flash: Did not fire

Last edited by hotwork77; 26th April 2010 at 11:55 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast