Thread: Action Nightshoot. flash sync, shutter spd qn

Exclamation Action Nightshoot. flash sync, shutter spd qn

I got plans to go take shots of the drum out parade this sat, and suddenly thought of this qn.

Parade starts 1830, runs along roads so at least got a bit street light.
    FM2 flash sync is 1/250. And assuming i use either colour neg iso800 or b&w neg iso1600. (for case scenario set any fastest film speed, pls correct if wrong.)

When the action gets too fast for the shutter speed, what choices do I have to not get blurred (screwed) pictures?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    I got plans to go take shots of the drum out parade this sat, and suddenly thought of this qn.

Parade starts 1830, runs along roads so at least got a bit street light.
    FM2 flash sync is 1/250. And assuming i use either colour neg iso800 or b&w neg iso1600. (for case scenario set any fastest film speed, pls correct if wrong.)

When the action gets too fast for the shutter speed, what choices do I have to not get blurred (screwed) pictures?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
    Besides using a higher ISO, you can also try to use faster lenses.

sorry i don't understand by faster lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    sorry i don't understand by faster lenses.
    Faster lenses are lenses with large maximum aperture (e.g f2.8, f1.8 etc). Shooting at the larger aperture allows you to use a faster shutter speed, hence 'faster lenses'.

if the situation makes u desperate for shutter speed, u can deliberately setup up to -1 stop of exposure compensation. since its low light situation, the deliberate underexposure wont hurt much

since u r usign manual body, => deliberately choose a higher shutter speed

if u r using electronic body => just set aperture priority, choose the max aperture, dail in up to -1 stop of exposure compensation. this will manifest as the body givign u a higher shutter speed to shoot with.

ic ok.

justarius: my lense only goes up to f3.8, so not a faster lenses i guess.

clive: say i use my flash which is synced at 1/250, then i can't choose a higher shutter spd? I read somewhere that it is not recommended...

oh ya sory overlooked that fact. your the fm2 it has focal plane shutter correct? yes the top sync of 1/250. technically u can purposely set any speed higher then 1/250 while using flash but then u will get one portion of the pic completely blocked by the rear curtain. it will show as a blackened portion of the pic

ouch.. ah well. i'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    Faster lenses are lenses with large maximum aperture (e.g f2.8, f1.8 etc). Shooting at the larger aperture allows you to use a faster shutter speed, hence 'faster lenses'.
    Yup that is rite. Since you are using a FM2, I'll would use the 50mm f1.4. Very fast lense and also a good focal length for me.