Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Newbie question on night shots

  1. #1

    Default Newbie question on night shots

    Hi all, can i ask how to take a good night shot?
    the pic below is the shot i took yesterday, and i find
    the light on the buildings too bright and the buildings rather
    dark. Settings are shown below.
    Thanks all! (hope u dun mind the crooked pic, on a slanted bridge)

    Click here for image

    Camera Model: Canon PowerShot G2
    Firmware: Firmware Version 1.10
    Shutter speed: 4 sec
    Aperture: 3.5
    Exposure mode: Tv
    Metering mode: Evaluative
    ISO: 50
    Lens: 7.0 to 21.0 mm
    Focal length: 10.0 mm
    White balance: Auto
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Contrast: Normal

    Last edited by Eugene; 11th May 2002 at 02:51 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    In what ways would you like to improve your shot? Your photo looks relatively ok to me.....

    The lights are too bright and the buildings are dark... that's because of the huge difference of the amount of light from both sources...

    To bring out the details of the buildings, the lighted areas will be overexposed.

    if the lighted areas are just right, i will lose details of the buildings. in this case u will have a silhouette where the buildings are blacked-out and u will be able to see only the lighted areas.

    additional point is that your picture dont seem sharp... maybe u can try stopping down the lens to a smaller aperature.

  3. #3

    Default

    Just a question.

    How do I judge a picture sharpness by the aperture settings? Or is it boils down to experience? Or it's seenable on the LCD?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Try stopping down your aperture to say f5.6.

    What has a slanted bridge got to do with a crooked image??? Leveling of the horizon is one of the factors that make or break this kind of shot.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    did you use a tripod? seems that the pic is blur.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit
    Try stopping down your aperture to say f5.6.

    What has a slanted bridge got to do with a crooked image??? Leveling of the horizon is one of the factors that make or break this kind of shot.
    Thanx all for ya comments!
    hmmm....

    the leveling can't be done with my tripod... lol...
    yes i agree it's rather blur, weird thing is to prevent
    my hands from shaking it, i used the timer.




  7. #7

    Default

    Originally posted by mervlam
    In what ways would you like to improve your shot? Your photo looks relatively ok to me.....

    The lights are too bright and the buildings are dark... that's because of the huge difference of the amount of light from both sources...

    To bring out the details of the buildings, the lighted areas will be overexposed.

    if the lighted areas are just right, i will lose details of the buildings. in this case u will have a silhouette where the buildings are blacked-out and u will be able to see only the lighted areas.

    additional point is that your picture dont seem sharp... maybe u can try stopping down the lens to a smaller aperature.
    In that case, does that means i can only choose between bright lightings but overexposed... OR properly exposed with darker detailed buildings...



  8. #8
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by Eugene


    Thanx all for ya comments!
    hmmm....

    the leveling can't be done with my tripod... lol...
    yes i agree it's rather blur, weird thing is to prevent
    my hands from shaking it, i used the timer.



    I don't get it. That's what a tripod is designed to do, to help you with the leveling. Are you sure you're totally familiar with it?

  9. #9

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit


    I don't get it. That's what a tripod is designed to do, to help you with the leveling. Are you sure you're totally familiar with it?
    ehehe... silly me... just thot of adjust the legs to level the shot...
    STOOPID ME!!! Thanx for enlightening me...

    silly one...

  10. #10
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by Eugene


    ehehe... silly me... just thot of adjust the legs to level the shot...
    STOOPID ME!!! Thanx for enlightening me...

    silly one...
    Adjusting the legs will roughly get you there but not there yet. You still need to do some fine adjustments on the tripod head in order to get the horizon levelled.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    370

    Default

    erm.... i dun think it looks blur..... looks pretty good wat.

  12. #12

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit


    Adjusting the legs will roughly get you there but not there yet. You still need to do some fine adjustments on the tripod head in order to get the horizon levelled.
    Hmm... my tripod head can only be rotated counter clockwise...
    which is the oppposite direction... therefore not helping...
    so only can use the legs... ehehe...

  13. #13
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by Eugene


    Hmm... my tripod head can only be rotated counter clockwise...
    which is the oppposite direction... therefore not helping...
    so only can use the legs... ehehe...
    Ever thought of flipping the tripod 180 around or mount your camera backwards?

  14. #14

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit


    Ever thought of flipping the tripod 180 around or mount your camera backwards?
    *SLAP FOREHEAD!!!!
    lol.... yah hor.... ahaha...
    dummy me...

    SHHHhh.... dun tell others ah...

  15. #15

    Default

    Originally posted by Eugene


    In that case, does that means i can only choose between bright lightings but overexposed... OR properly exposed with darker detailed buildings...


    it is normal for night scenes to have lighted areas to be overexposed..... like the fullerton hotel in your pic... it is normal....

  16. #16
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by Eugene


    *SLAP FOREHEAD!!!!
    lol.... yah hor.... ahaha...
    dummy me...

    SHHHhh.... dun tell others ah...
    The tripod is one great tool with many combinations and possibilities.

  17. #17

    Default

    Thanx all for your comments!
    appreciate it!
    will practise more with my dc!

    Have a great week!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Originally posted by Eugene


    Thanx all for ya comments!
    hmmm....

    the leveling can't be done with my tripod... lol...
    yes i agree it's rather blur, weird thing is to prevent
    my hands from shaking it, i used the timer.



    Your pic is blur and the reason for this blurry effect is that your subject distance is only 9.3m. It should be set to infinity (in this case 66m).

  19. #19

    Default

    some tips of taking nite shot using a DC

    - use a stable tripod
    - use remote control / timer mode
    - compose a few test shots to check the exposure
    (use apeture settings like f/5.6 , f/8 and shutter speed 4-16 sec)
    - always use M mode
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  20. #20

    Default

    Originally posted by Goondu


    Your pic is blur and the reason for this blurry effect is that your subject distance is only 9.3m. It should be set to infinity (in this case 66m).
    Oh yah... that explains it...
    that means i have to use Manual focus...
    = )
    Thanx!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •