Thread: Recommendations for a good compact camera?

Default Recommendations for a good compact camera?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a good, mid-range Point&Shoot compact camera for my friend as a birthday present. The budget I've set a side for this is roughly SGD400.

Any suggestions as to what i should get?

Cheers~ :]

Default Re: Recommendations for a good compact camera?

Hi top up some $$ to get a good camera - useful for learning and building up photo skills. $5xx can get Panasonic FZ35. checkup ebay.sg site. Excellent image quality, HD video, superzoom 18X and less bulky than SX20/HS10. good professional review and user review (steve-digicams forum).

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by alvintys View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a good, mid-range Point&Shoot compact camera for my friend as a birthday present. The budget I've set a side for this is roughly SGD400.

Quote Originally Posted by wycklk View Post
    Hi top up some $$ to get a good camera - useful for learning and building up photo skills. $5xx can get Panasonic FZ35. checkup ebay.sg site. Excellent image quality, HD video, superzoom 18X and less bulky than SX20/HS10. good professional review and user review (steve-digicams forum).
    TS wants a PnS,not a prosumer.Anyway TS,there are lots of cameras out there.Go down to stores like BD/Courts/HN to feel and test the cameras

f200exr if you still can find one...

The Canon IXUS and Panasonic Lumix series are always well-received by consumers.

Thanks for the recommendations...

I've been quite out of touch with the P&S market, though the last time i got my own, i opted for the Panasonic Lumix. Are the Lumix series still the leading choices now? How do the Canon IXUS series, and the Sony Cybershot series fare in comparison?

I know my questions are all rather vague and ambiguous. Apologies in advance.

:]

Thanks for the recommendations...

I've been quite out of touch with the P&S market, though the last time i got my own, i opted for the Panasonic Lumix. Are the Lumix series still the leading choices now? How do the Canon IXUS series, and the Sony Cybershot series fare in comparison?

I know my questions are all rather vague and ambiguous. Apologies in advance.

:]
    hahaha yeah rather vague question so a bit difficult to answer.

The Lumix, Ixus, and Cybershot ranges have quite a significant line-up of models.
    There are stand-out models within each range.

Do list down what characteristics are important to you....
    eg. video, manual controls, touch-screen, in-built stabilisation, etc...
    Exploring! :)

Hi guys,

you can try to find the answer yourself at this site.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
    good luck.
    PS: In USD

In think Singaporeans generally like the IXUS range, followed by Lumix and Sony T-series... But that's my gut feel. No official statistics.

Sony compacts can take panorama shots, which is a very unique feature. Another cam can also take pano but i forgot what brand. But sony's pano can be used even when theres moving objects, very power lol.