Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Recommendations for a good compact camera?

  1. #1

    Default Recommendations for a good compact camera?

    Hi guys,

    I'm looking to get a good, mid-range Point&Shoot compact camera for my friend as a birthday present. The budget I've set a side for this is roughly SGD400.

    Any suggestions as to what i should get?

    Cheers~ :]

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recommendations for a good compact camera?

    Hi top up some $$ to get a good camera - useful for learning and building up photo skills. $5xx can get Panasonic FZ35. checkup ebay.sg site. Excellent image quality, HD video, superzoom 18X and less bulky than SX20/HS10. good professional review and user review (steve-digicams forum).

  3. #3
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Recommendations for a good compact camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by alvintys View Post
    Hi guys,

    I'm looking to get a good, mid-range Point&Shoot compact camera for my friend as a birthday present. The budget I've set a side for this is roughly SGD400.

    Any suggestions as to what i should get?

    Cheers~ :]
    Quote Originally Posted by wycklk View Post
    Hi top up some $$ to get a good camera - useful for learning and building up photo skills. $5xx can get Panasonic FZ35. checkup ebay.sg site. Excellent image quality, HD video, superzoom 18X and less bulky than SX20/HS10. good professional review and user review (steve-digicams forum).
    TS wants a PnS,not a prosumer.Anyway TS,there are lots of cameras out there.Go down to stores like BD/Courts/HN to feel and test the cameras

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Recommendations for a good compact camera?

    f200exr if you still can find one...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Recommendations for a good compact camera?

    The Canon IXUS and Panasonic Lumix series are always well-received by consumers.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Recommendations for a good compact camera?

    Thanks for the recommendations...

    I've been quite out of touch with the P&S market, though the last time i got my own, i opted for the Panasonic Lumix. Are the Lumix series still the leading choices now? How do the Canon IXUS series, and the Sony Cybershot series fare in comparison?

    I know my questions are all rather vague and ambiguous. Apologies in advance.

    :]

  7. #7
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Recommendations for a good compact camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by alvintys View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations...

    I've been quite out of touch with the P&S market, though the last time i got my own, i opted for the Panasonic Lumix. Are the Lumix series still the leading choices now? How do the Canon IXUS series, and the Sony Cybershot series fare in comparison?

    I know my questions are all rather vague and ambiguous. Apologies in advance.

    :]
    hahaha yeah rather vague question so a bit difficult to answer.

    The Lumix, Ixus, and Cybershot ranges have quite a significant line-up of models.
    There are stand-out models within each range.

    Do list down what characteristics are important to you....
    eg. video, manual controls, touch-screen, in-built stabilisation, etc...
    Exploring! :)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Recommendations for a good compact camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by alvintys View Post
    Hi guys,

    I'm looking to get a good, mid-range Point&Shoot compact camera for my friend as a birthday present. The budget I've set a side for this is roughly SGD400.

    Any suggestions as to what i should get?

    Cheers~ :]
    you can try to find the answer yourself at this site.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
    good luck.
    PS: In USD

  9. #9

    Default Re: Recommendations for a good compact camera?

    In think Singaporeans generally like the IXUS range, followed by Lumix and Sony T-series... But that's my gut feel. No official statistics.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Recommendations for a good compact camera?

    Sony compacts can take panorama shots, which is a very unique feature. Another cam can also take pano but i forgot what brand. But sony's pano can be used even when theres moving objects, very power lol.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •