Thread: Did my SanDisk just die on me?

Default Did my SanDisk just die on me?

I was transferring 2 images from my 8GB SanDisk Ultra card via a USB card reader. Halfway through the transfer, the drive icon disappeared from my desktop (I use a Mac). I tried reconnecting the reader but it couldn't detect the card (light on the reader was on when I plugged in the USB cable, plus it can read other SD cards so that's working fine).

Then I tried reading the CF card on my dSLR but it said the card wasn't formatted. Now I knew I probably had lost my images already, which wasn't such a big deal, but when I tried to format it on my camera, the progress bar didn't move a millimeter even after half an hour.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is this the dreaded situation of a corrupted card?

NB I've only had this card for literally 2 weeks as of today.

Default Re: Did my SanDisk just die on me?

well, have you tried reading it on the computer again?

it is possible that the cf card has failed, since it is only 2 weeks old, just find vector magnetics (distro for sandisk) and ask for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well, have you tried reading it on the computer again?

it is possible that the cf card has failed, since it is only 2 weeks old, just find vector magnetics (distro for sandisk) and ask for a replacement.
    I've tried it a few times. Doesn't read at all.

I'm not sure if I can go to Vector Magnetics because this card was given free from Canon's redemption centre at Harbourfront when I bought my dSLR this month. VM's website states the procedure is to produce the sticker and original packaging, which I don't have since it's not issued by VM.

What can I do in this case?

call canon and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    call canon and ask.
    Ok I'll give them a call tomorrow. Hope they don't toss me around between them and VM..

My Sandisk Extreme 8 GB CF also died recently. I was quite worried that I could not get a replacement because I threw the box away. Anyway I tried my luck and brought the receipt and they did a replacement for me on the spot.

Hope this information can help others who also threw the box away but still has the receipt.

As for your case, I believe Canon will do something about it.
    D3 D800 RX-1 X100 E-M5 My flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Umeiko View Post
    My Sandisk Extreme 8 GB CF also died recently. I was quite worried that I could not get a replacement because I threw the box away. Anyway I tried my luck and brought the receipt and they did a replacement for me on the spot.

Hope this information can help others who also threw the box away but still has the receipt.

As for your case, I believe Canon will do something about it.
    Ah okay. I'm in the same situation as you were - receipt without box. My box didn't have the VM sticker anyway since it was distributed by Canon to me. I'm just a bit disappointed to encounter such an inconvenience, with the card failing me in a space of 2 weeks. I guess this is a signal for me to load up on cards before I go for my grad trip.

My 4 year old 2GB SD also just die. Unable to format also. Wonder if there's anything to verify the death of media device?
    Canon.550D|EF-S 18-55mm| EF-S 55-250mm| EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6| EF 50mm 1:1.8|Di866

VM replied my email, and advised me to contact the vendor that provided me with the CF card if there was no VM sticker on the packaging. In my case, that would be Canon's redemption centre, which I called this morning.

They asked me to bring my camera and suspected faulty card to their service centre to verify it is faulty, and if it is, they'll do a one-to-one swap at the redemption centre on the spot.

Thanks for your advice, night86mare.

Quote Originally Posted by furyhawk View Post
    My 4 year old 2GB SD also just die. Unable to format also. Wonder if there's anything to verify the death of media device?
    could be anything, really.

I had a 4 week old Lexar die last week, first once in years and years. Replacement procedure as pain free as it was before. Just send us the card we'll send you one back. Arrived today so 1 day turnaround.

Just to add on note on Vector Magnetics. I normally don't keep receipt and box for SD cards, so when the "lock" mechanism on my card came out and I couldn't write into the SD card anymore, I called VM up and asked how. For $10 admin fee, they changed the card for me, no questions asked. I was pretty impressed.

I thought gone case liao, have to buy another cheaper card. Now I have a brand new card!

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Just to add on note on Vector Magnetics. I normally don't keep receipt and box for SD cards, so when the "lock" mechanism on my card came out and I couldn't write into the SD card anymore, I called VM up and asked how. For $10 admin fee, they changed the card for me, no questions asked. I was pretty impressed.

I thought gone case liao, have to buy another cheaper card. Now I have a brand new card!

$10 admin fee is just pure profit for them. They probably got that bad card exchanged for free by the distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by neech7 View Post
    $10 admin fee is just pure profit for them. They probably got that bad card exchanged for free by the distributor.
    ya..but if you do not have any receipts or the box with vm stickers, they do have the right not to exchange the card.... so you either lose the whole card or $10...you decide...

Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    ya..but if you do not have any receipts or the box with vm stickers, they do have the right not to exchange the card.... so you either lose the whole card or $10...you decide...
    True. Can't argue with that. The only retailer I know of that allow exchange or refund with no fee or hassle is Costco in the US. And that's only because as a members only retailer, they keep track of everything you buy, so even without receipt, they can verify the product was purchased from them.

Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    Which was my worry.. coz the SD card I have is not cheap. So I quite gladly paid the admin fee for a new card, otherwise have to throw away card already

Of coz, if it's those generic 2GB blue cards... I won't even bother to call up.