Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

  1. #1
    Member king2penn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    833

    Default Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    Anyone know what cameras/DSLRs they use in CSI (Las Vegas, NYC, Miami)?
    I've noticed that in some episodes for CSI:LV, they've used mainly Canon cameras.

    Thoughts? Comments? Observations? Screenshots?

    Regards,
    Steven

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    CSI Las Vegas mainly uses Nikon.

    why does it matter? You think they're "more pro" just because they pop up on TV? That all depends on who pays the most money.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    The people who used these DSLRs for filmmaking in Hollywood are professional DPs who knows what is cinematic language, the real deals, unlike a whole buncha amateurs in this forum who only take stills. They are sequences and there are continuity issues to take care of, not just nice bokeh.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisyeong View Post
    The people who used these DSLRs for filmmaking in Hollywood are professional DPs who knows what is cinematic language, the real deals, unlike a whole buncha amateurs in this forum who only take stills. They are sequences and there are continuity issues to take care of, not just nice bokeh.
    It's certain amateurs who read this forum and don't understand the question asked that crack me up. Yes, I'm talking about you.

    The question was not about whether or not a DSLR is used to shoot an episode, but rather what DSLR is featured in the episode.

    FYI, most of the real pros use Sony high-definition video cameras. Those are the "real deal". There's only one TV episode to date that was shot with a DSLR, and that's the last episode of House MD. Video on DSLR cameras is still too new and too finnicky with annoying limitations for it to be used extensively in cinematic filmmaking.

    So please do some research, read the question correctly before you answer.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 22nd April 2010 at 02:13 AM.
    Alpha

  5. #5

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    just saw the 'reporters' wearing Nikon D300s strap in yesterday red white tcs drama.
    Canon.550D|EF-S 18-55mm| EF-S 55-250mm| EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6| EF 50mm 1:1.8|Di866

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    Quote Originally Posted by king2penn View Post
    Anyone know what cameras/DSLRs they use in CSI (Las Vegas, NYC, Miami)?
    I've noticed that in some episodes for CSI:LV, they've used mainly Canon cameras.

    Thoughts? Comments? Observations? Screenshots?

    Regards,
    Steven
    I follow almost all episodes of CSI, AFAIK, I see Nikon, from D3 to lowend models.

    but serious, who cares.....
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    oh yes, bad guys always use Canon, in Miami, if you are so interested on what camera uses.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #8

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies


  9. #9
    Member lightchaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    It may be advertisement in disguise.

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    remember the photog using big big white lens to stalk the members of Miami CSI team?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    Quote Originally Posted by lightchaser View Post
    It may be advertisement in disguise.
    this is not a secret in movie or tv industry.

    all the brand names appear on screen will need to pay, else will mask off the brand, logo, slogan or whatever.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  12. #12

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    remember the photog using big big white lens to stalk the members of Miami CSI team?
    Only the most ku-ku stalker use big white whale.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    this is not a secret in movie or tv industry.

    all the brand names appear on screen will need to pay, else will mask off the brand, logo, slogan or whatever.
    Aiyoh ... who can forget James Bond movies, omega and Sony back in the 80s when so blatant advertising was not so common (or no budget)?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    It's certain amateurs who read this forum and don't understand the question asked that crack me up. Yes, I'm talking about you.

    The question was not about whether or not a DSLR is used to shoot an episode, but rather what DSLR is featured in the episode.

    FYI, most of the real pros use Sony high-definition video cameras. Those are the "real deal". There's only one TV episode to date that was shot with a DSLR, and that's the last episode of House MD. Video on DSLR cameras is still too new and too finnicky with annoying limitations for it to be used extensively in cinematic filmmaking.

    So please do some research, read the question correctly before you answer.

    I think theres an article in Digital Life yesterday that talks about a local drama that will be filmed purely on Canon 7D , found that rather interesting though heh .
    Alpha and Omega

  14. #14
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Only the most ku-ku stalker use big white whale.
    DM i think the most pro fellas will stalk with their horses , man ..

    Quote Originally Posted by furyhawk View Post
    just saw the 'reporters' wearing Nikon D300s strap in yesterday red white tcs drama.
    tcs ask their own crew to bring whatever camera they own at home


    It is big advertising business for the production companies. some seasons N outbid C, and this time maybe C got the deal.
    As long as they dun start rattling off the specs of the camera they are holding during the series, i think i am cool with whatever happens to be on screen.

    ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 22nd April 2010 at 05:15 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisyeong View Post
    The people who used these DSLRs for filmmaking in Hollywood are professional DPs who knows what is cinematic language, the real deals, unlike a whole buncha amateurs in this forum who only take stills. They are sequences and there are continuity issues to take care of, not just nice bokeh.
    i dont think any of the csi miami series was shot in an era where dslr had video captures.

    you prove your point by not knowing this simple knowledge.

    btw, there is no need to go around blowing the whistle that videos are necessarily harder than stills, or the other way round. they are two very different aspects of visual arts, which you obviously fail to acknowledge. which is quite sad, when you think about it.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    remember the photog using big big white lens to stalk the members of Miami CSI team?
    i remember

    the csi miami team uses nikon for their stuff, i thought?

  17. #17
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i remember

    the csi miami team uses nikon for their stuff, i thought?
    he's talking about the episode where this suspect took pictures of the CSI team with a canon 400mm or 600mm..CSI miami team uses D3 for season 8
    eat. drink. shoot

  18. #18

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    he's talking about the episode where this suspect took pictures of the CSI team with a canon 400mm or 600mm..CSI miami team uses D3 for season 8
    yes, i said i remember..........

    and then moved on to something else.

  19. #19
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    btw, the csi miami is the most fake tv serise I even see, there is no poor people at miami, no fat and ugly people at the beach or hotel, no old and rusty car on road, so fake, more like a tourist promotion advertisement for miami then a tv serise.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  20. #20

    Default Re: Cameras In TV Shows & Movies

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    btw, the csi miami is the most fake tv serise I even see, there is no poor people at miami, no fat and ugly people at the beach or hotel, no old and rusty car on road, so fake, more like a tourist promotion advertisement for miami then a tv serise.
    that is true.

    and some of the bodies look pretty even after death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •