Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Google Chrome - not a good experience

Default Re: Google Chrome - not a good experience

IE9 coming.
    Intrigued by these browsers' claims of fast...faster..fastest...
    I don't find IE8 slow. When it is operating, it gets me to the URL sites fast enough.
    Do I stand by my PC with a stop watch in hand and time how long the browser takes to load?
    No.
    Got better things to do.
    So what if XXX or YYY browser loads 0.13 sec faster?
    Or even 10 secs faster?
    Does it matter?
    Stability - no frequent crashes, functionality, good interface and useful add-ons are more important.

Do people get ecstatic and unglued when their browser loads slightly "faster" than another ZZZ browser?

Get a life.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 1st May 2010 at 04:07 PM.

Chrome is awesome! Been using it since the beta version and nvr looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    IE9 coming.
    Intrigued by these browsers' claims of fast...faster..fastest...
    I don't find IE8 slow. When it is operating, it gets me to the URL sites fast enough.
    Do I stand by my PC with a stop watch in hand and time how long the browser takes to load?
    No.
    Got better things to do.
    So what if XXX or YYY browser loads 0.13 sec faster?
    Or even 10 secs faster?
    Does it matter?
    Stability - no frequent crashes, functionality, good interface and useful add-ons are more important.

Do people get ecstatic and unglued when their browser loads slightly "faster" than another ZZZ browser?

Get a life.
    IE 8, like IE 7, etc. is a security risk. You open your computer to almost anyone, if you're not careful. ActiveX, which provides a way for add-ons to work, is a huge security leak that IE and other software uses. I hope you don't do any sort of banking or online purchases with it.

Google Chrome is early in its life and isn't anywhere near finished. If you had used IE 0.4, you would have been unhappy with it, also. Firefox and Opera are better, safer browsers.

trust me...

MOZILLA FIREFOX is still the best...
    for those using FIREFOX...

try type on address bar.. clubsnap kopitiam
    not just a double as search bar, it also auto direct u to the page..

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    IE 8, like IE 7, etc. is a security risk. You open your computer to almost anyone, if you're not careful. ActiveX, which provides a way for add-ons to work, is a huge security leak that IE and other software uses. I hope you don't do any sort of banking or online purchases with it.
    You are right about the dangers of online banking.
    Definitely no Internet banking for me. Not sure about on-line purchase. Have not tried. Maybe Pay-Pal is a good defence?
    No matter how "secure" any browser or online banking service claims to be. It does not matter what browser you use. No matter how many new gadgets like SMS dongles that send you a pass code.

There are a lot of brilliant crooks out there.
    Whatever the banks can think of, they have a way to break it.
    Especially using Social Engineering techniques to make you leak the secrets to them.

By the way, if you do get ripped off using Internet banking and your entire life savings account gets wiped out - the bank is not going to save you. They will get a big group of lawyers to say its your problem. Read the fine print of what you agreed to when opening the Internet banking account.

Of course, brilliant crooks already ripped off the masses by creating mini-bonds and similar toxic financial instruments. If you willingly sign on the hardcopy bank document. Too bad.
    Crooks will get increasingly creative in thinking how to rip you off.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 2nd May 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    You are right about the dangers of online banking.
    Definitely no Internet banking for me. Not sure about on-line purchase. Have not tried. Maybe Pay-Pal is a good defence?
    No matter how "secure" any browser or online banking service claims to be. It does not matter what browser you use. No matter how many new gadgets like SMS dongles that send you a pass code.

There are a lot of brilliant crooks out there.
    Whatever the banks can think of, they have a way to break it.
    Especially using Social Engineering techniques to make you leak the secrets to them.

By the way, if you do get ripped off using Internet banking and your entire life savings account gets wiped out - the bank is not going to save you. They will get a big group of lawyers to say its your problem. Read the fine print of what you agreed to when opening the Internet banking account.

Of course, brilliant crooks already ripped off the masses by creating mini-bonds and similar toxic financial instruments. If you willingly sign on the hardcopy bank document. Too bad.
    Crooks will get increasingly creative in thinking how to rip you off.
    Yes, it does matter which browser you use. As I said, Firefox and Opera are reasonably safe. The others are not. PayPal doesn't help. In fact, they and eBay, their parent company, had their systems breached. It's always wise to check reputations before you buy. Research is the best tool anyone has.

As far as social engineering goes, it doesn't take a genius to be aware and awake and to ask questions. If it's too good to be true, it's not true. If someone from your bank sends an e-mail (or calls your phone) asking for your account details, they're not from your bank. The bank has your account details.

i have been using chrome for several months, much faster than IE.

for me,

Chrome:
    - fast (but day to day, not really that big a diff)
    - address bar not as effective as FF3
    - full screen browsing not as good as FF3 or IE8 because no mouse-over tabs reveal
    - stable on my system
    - not colour managed

FF3:
    - the best functioning address bar
    - good full screen browsing with mouse-over tabs reveal
    - colour managed (mostly)
    - has been acting crankily of late, especially when other programs are using up a lot or RAM...

IE8:
    - good full screen browsing with mouse-over tabs reveal
    - one of my emails is an Exchange-based web access email that seems to work properly only on IE8...
    - not colour managed

so at the moment, using mainly Chrome, but would prefer to go back to FF3 if they fix the memory issue...

guys, get your facts right. people dont use activex vulnerability to seal your sensitive informaion(bank account, password and etcc....) they use phishing.

internet banking use java usually, there is nothing to do with ActiveX.

bye.
    Objection !!!

is that why my Kaspersky warns against Java as "very dangerous"?

aiyah....Internet banking is like choosing to run across a busy road with heavy speeding traffic, when you have an underground tunnel & an Overhead pedestrian bridge nearby.

It is risk you do not need to take; but which you somehow want to take because you think the victim will be someone else, but it will not happen to you.

It is a needless risk.

OK, change topic, back to the speed comparisons.

have you looked closely at the charts with exaggerated scale?
    hm...was that done to make some product look good.
    ha..ha... the units of measure are in ms

ms means milliseconds.
    That is 1/1000th of a second.

Look, in real life. You twiddle your thumbs for a while and you have used up 6,000 milliseconds.

Does it really matter that one browser is several milliseconds slower than another. ....in what? dealing with javascript? what's that?

Have to forgive some benchmarkers. They got bills to pay, mortgages to service, car loans and family to support.

This was an attempt to test with real websites, maybe to make the test more honest.
    http://www.codexon.com/posts/a-real-...pera-safari-ie

Conclusion

Average Loading Times (in ms) milliseconds

Opera 204
    Safari 205.2
    Chrome 205.5
    Firefox 416
    Internet Explorer 556.8
    Last edited by ricohflex; 3rd May 2010 at 09:59 PM.

"Chrome continues surge as IE drops below 60% market share"

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...rket-share.ars

Canon 7D with 15-85mm

Now I know what happened. Previously must have downloaded an altered version Chrome where someone put in toxic code. Gave me a lot of trouble.

Recently got hold of a clean copy of Chrome. Version 13.0.782.220 Up to date as at 8 Sep 2011. Been using it for a while. Pretty good.

Yeah..

I have been using Chrome since 08. Pretty cool browser IMO.

more responsive than other browsers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123