Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: ISO on D90

  1. #1

    Default ISO on D90

    On the D90 ISO setting, can I assume that
    L1.0 = ISO 50
    L0.7 = ISO 100
    L0.3 = ISO 150
    A photo is an art painted by light.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: ISO on D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    On the D90 ISO setting, can I assume that
    L1.0 = ISO 50
    L0.7 = ISO 100
    L0.3 = ISO 150
    Nope friend.. Nikon don't have ISO 50..

    Nikon chooses to declare their main ISO range, 200 to 3200 in the D90's case, and then offer one more stop on each end as an extended range that they call Lo.

    200 is the base ISO here..

    L0.3 minus 0.3 of a stop from base, and L0.7 minus 2/3 of a stop, L1.0 one ful stop

    HTH
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  3. #3

    Default Re: ISO on D90

    Here are the approximate values:

    L0.3 - ISO 160
    L0.7 - ISO 125
    L1.0 - ISO 100

  4. #4

    Default Re: ISO on D90

    Thanks for the kind clarification.
    So will it be good to shot in L1.0 (~ISO100) whenever possible? Becasue low ISO yells less noise.
    A photo is an art painted by light.

  5. #5

    Default Re: ISO on D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    Thanks for the kind clarification.
    So will it be good to shot in L1.0 (~ISO100) whenever possible? Becasue low ISO yells less noise.
    do not use L1.0 on your D90, the dynamic range at the highlight end will be reduced by about 1 stop, so the photo you get with L1.0 ISO is essentially the same as an iso 200 photo overexposed by one stop in post processing, so the lowest ever iso i will go on a D90 is iso200, that extra one stop is not going to make any significant difference anyway.

    refer to dpreview HERE for more details, scroll to "ISO sensitivity and dynamic range".

  6. #6

    Default Re: ISO on D90

    thanks for the link...will read it up.
    A photo is an art painted by light.

  7. #7
    Member papajanggo33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    rustic but charming hougang
    Posts
    898

    Default Re: ISO on D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Nope friend.. Nikon don't have ISO 50..

    Nikon chooses to declare their main ISO range, 200 to 3200 in the D90's case, and then offer one more stop on each end as an extended range that they call Lo.

    200 is the base ISO here..

    L0.3 minus 0.3 of a stop from base, and L0.7 minus 2/3 of a stop, L1.0 one ful stop

    HTH
    true. i'd prefer to stay at 200 most of the times as the lowest setting for majority of my shots. thanks for the details brian
    Fun in photography is inFinity
    My Flickr

  8. #8

    Default Re: ISO on D90

    Just stick to the base ISO for best results yeah.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: ISO on D90

    Quote Originally Posted by papajanggo33 View Post
    true. i'd prefer to stay at 200 most of the times as the lowest setting for majority of my shots. thanks for the details brian
    Yup..no prob..for best results, stick with base ISO
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  10. #10

    Default Re: ISO on D90

    But then if consider sunny 16 I will face a problem.
    Example on a sunny day with sharp edge shadow.

    M mode set to f16 1/250 iso200 as in sunny 16, if i want more DOF than have to set f16 to f2.8. That is 5 stop down, therefore, my exposure will have to up 5 steps. Problem is 1/250 up 5 steps will get 1/8000. And my little experience tells me that is it way off, because when I shoot outdoor portrait my setting range from f2.8 1/250-1/800 iso200. So how can I use 1/8000 ( not to mention my D90 dont even have 1/8000)

    Am I missing something from sunny 16 or I mis-understand some fundermental knowledge?
    A photo is an art painted by light.

  11. #11

    Default Re: ISO on D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    But then if consider sunny 16 I will face a problem.
    Example on a sunny day with sharp edge shadow.

    M mode set to f16 1/250 iso200 as in sunny 16, if i want more DOF than have to set f16 to f2.8. That is 5 stop down, therefore, my exposure will have to up 5 steps. Problem is 1/250 up 5 steps will get 1/8000. And my little experience tells me that is it way off, because when I shoot outdoor portrait my setting range from f2.8 1/250-1/800 iso200. So how can I use 1/8000 ( not to mention my D90 dont even have 1/8000)

    Am I missing something from sunny 16 or I mis-understand some fundermental knowledge?
    correction here, when u set aperture from f16 to f2.8, you will have less DOF, i.e. the area in focus will be shallower.

    i dun understand here, what is wrong with using 1/8000(let's assume D90 have it)? and why is there a fixed setting range(f2.8 1/250-1/800 iso200)? unless you are using flash, the shutter speed of 1/200 and 1/8000 doesn't really matter for portrait shoot, unless your subject is moving faster than 1/200 and slower than 1/8000 and you wan to capture the motion blur.

    anyway, if you really need to shoot at F2.8, and after setting your iso to base iso (200 for D90), and max your shutter speed liao (in D90 case 1/4000), you still get overexposed photo, then no choice, you have to use ND filter, how many stops ND depends on how many stops of lights you need to cut.

    in this particular case, you will need ISO 200, F2.8 and 1/8000 to get proper exposure, but D90 only have 1/4000, so you need a ND filter that can cut at least 1 stop of light, or corresponding stops of ND filter that can cut the light to get the shutter speed you want/need.

    HTH
    Last edited by miaoteh; 21st April 2010 at 08:06 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •