Thread: Help DESPERATELY needed

Question Help DESPERATELY needed

I know I know… this question has been asked to death. But desperately need help as I am something of a tech idiot.

I have been using a analogue SLR for 3 years already but feel seriously constrained by the lack of lenses (big surprise! I dun have money to buy them)and my film developing cost. Am thinking of going digital, yet cannot bear to part with the $$$$$ involved in getting a DSLR. Plus the small problem that I am a tech idiot… (as highlighted above). So think the solution would be to get a good prosumer cam to get a feel of it first.

Am hoping you guys can give me some recommendations… please? Hee.

Actually, the main concerns I have would be able to play around with all the manual functions ala my faithful SLR (with a wider range of choices, of course) yet small enough for it to be not as cumbersome. I'm a simple person to please. Don't think I need very good quality. As long as can shoot above 3.2MP should be enough for me..

Was looking at a minolta dimage 7i or the dimage z1. what do you guys think? Would really appreciate any opinions you guys might have…. Or give me some recommendations.my budget is around $500. new and second hand (in good condition la) cams are fine by me.

Thanks for looking through this long winded post!

Quote Originally Posted by Jet1
    I know I know… this question has been asked to death. But desperately need help as I am something of a tech idiot.

I have been using a analogue SLR for 3 years already but feel seriously constrained by the lack of lenses (big surprise! I dun have money to buy them)and my film developing cost. Am thinking of going digital, yet cannot bear to part with the $$$$$ involved in getting a DSLR. Plus the small problem that I am a tech idiot… (as highlighted above). So think the solution would be to get a good prosumer cam to get a feel of it first.

Actually, the main concerns I have would be able to play around with all the manual functions ala my faithful SLR (with a wider range of choices, of course) yet small enough for it to be not as cumbersome. I'm a simple person to please. Don't think I need very good quality. As long as can shoot above 3.2MP should be enough for me..

Was looking at a minolta dimage 7i or the dimage z1. what do you guys think? Would really appreciate any opinions you guys might have…. Or give me some recommendations.my budget is around $500. new and second hand (in good condition la) cams are fine by me.

Hi Jet1,

I'd just gotten a second hand Dimage 7, from a friendly seller, at about the budget you'd stated. Me, being a SLR shooter (shoot with a Dynax 5) was really surprised at the ease of change in settings, thanks to a design with similar control as the SLR. There are plenty of limitations to the Dimage 7 though, as compared to a SLR, like slow (I mean real slow!) AF speed, slow writing speed (especially at RAW or uncompressed formats), and a LCD viewfinder (which does not provide a clear view as the optical ones!). However, it is much better than the other digital camera that I'd just sold recently, Panasonic FZ1 (with 12x optical zoom and image stabiliser, boasted by a Leica lens), since it allows manual focus (which you would know is essential for some photographic situations!), have zoom setting in terms of equivalent "mm" rather than by "x", and allow manual control (i.e. set aperture size and shutter speed). And the best feature I like about this prosumer camera, is the ability to do autobracketing, as well as doing time-lapse photography!

Hmm... maybe I'm praising a little too much about this camera now. Anyway, a lot of other prosumer camera do have all the stated functions. It might be nice to take into consideration of size of the camera too.

As for the Z1, I think it's better to skip it if you wanted to play around with controls. Even though Z1 may be a ultra-zoom camera, the settings of the camera isn't really that friendly. I have a feeling that if you were to get it, you would outgrow it very very rapidly!

Anyway, this is just some of my honest opinion!

Hi,

i think u shld get a pro consumer digi cam like Nikon 5700, Sony 717 or those minolta models u mentioned. But I think your budget might be too low even for a 2nd hand. u can try the buy/sell forum

I have been using a analogue SLR for 3 years already but feel seriously constrained by the lack of lenses (big surprise! I dun have money to buy them)and my film developing cost. Am thinking of going digital, yet cannot bear to part with the $$$$$ involved in getting a DSLR.
    Shoot less, think before you press the trigger, shoot slides, or shoot negs and just get index prints. Shoot cheap consumer film like Fuji superia 200 or 400 ($8.30 and 8.60 for 3 rolls at Cathay). Shoot cheap slide film like Kodak EBX ($6+/roll). You will save a lot.

You have tight budget, so don't waste. Stick to your SLR and shoot with positive film, better images compared to anything around 3.2 or 4MP.

Wow! Thanks for the enthusiastic response, people, really appreciate it. No worries. My SLR will always be my first love.
    nothing beats the feeling (and smelling,the fumes ain't addictive,are they? ) of processing and developing my own BW pics, the anticipation (and anxiety) of waiting for the positives or indexes to be developed.
    the digital cam would be more for my own leisurely shoots or something i can bring around instead of lugging the SLR along. of course. the increase in range of the manual function is always welcome. i just started some work and is putting aside a portion of my pay on photography. so for my first paycheck, i just thought i'll spend it on a good digi prosumer camera rather than on lenses... (time for this old man to catch up with the IT age ) will build up my lens empire on my future paycheck.
    $500 is my ideal spending la. but if i can get a much better product for $100/$200 more, i'll definitely go for it.
    Cheers all!

Wow! Thanks for the enthusiastic response, people, really appreciate it. No worries. My SLR will always be my first love.
    nothing beats the feeling (and smelling,the fumes ain't addictive,are they? ) of processing and developing my own BW pics, the anticipation (and anxiety) of waiting for the positives or indexes to be developed.
    the digital cam would be more for my own leisurely shoots or something i can bring around instead of lugging the SLR along. of course. the increase in range of the manual function is always welcome. i just started some work and is putting aside a portion of my pay on photography. so for my first paycheck, i just thought i'll spend it on a good digi prosumer camera rather than on lenses... (time for this old man to catch up with the IT age ) will build up my lens empire on my future paycheck.
    $500 is my ideal spending la. but if i can get a much better product for $100/$200 more, i'll definitely go for it.
    Cheers all!
    If you are really interested in the Dimage 7hi, I think someone is selling it at $750 on the buy/sell forum http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=68009

Also, someone selling Dimage 7i at $650 as well at http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...ghlight=dimage

Hope these info help!

save money first then get the dslr

haha. i dun think i'll ever be getting a dslr. know that there is a very high chance i'll forsake my baby if i do that.

did some thinking last night and felt that i should get one that is smaller than my current slr. as in MUCH smaller so i can't bring it around.

anyone got any recommendations for a small yet relatively function-full digi cam? pro consumer i think.... thanks again so much!

oh yeah, cheat. thanks for the heads up with regards to the 7i. am keeping tracks on it. it is high on my want list, i assure u.

keep me updated on your new 7, yeah?

Cheers!

oh yeah, cheat. thanks for the heads up with regards to the 7i. am keeping tracks on it. it is high on my want list, i assure u.

keep me updated on your new 7, yeah?

Cheers!
    I took this with the second-hand Dimage 7 (it's not new!) yesterday. Think I'll post up some IR photo when I reach home tonight!

Anyway, for compact camera, you would have to compromise on a lot of functionalities. Go to dpreview to compare and look at models such as Canon Ixus 400, Minolta Xt, Sony T1 and see what kind of features you would need... Btw, I'd nearly bought the Xt, if not for the fact that I'm quite uncomfortable with the notion of fixed focal distance.

one of my friends offered me a olympus c730 with accessories for $500…. Should I take it up?i dun know if it is good though,...

one of my friends offered me a olympus c730 with accessories for $500…. Should I take it up?i dun know if it is good though,...
    I think it's advisable if you go and try the camera out first, and see whether it is to your liking. I personally think that c750 is a better cam than c730, and a second-hand c750 would usually be around the range of $500-600+. But, it's really up to you.

Try it out, and see whether you like the controls or not!

i saw someone selling fuji s5000 in the forum...

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments! anyway, have posted a buy ad on the buy/sell forum. can check it out if you guys are interested.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=68595

cheers pple!

Hey people,
    Thanks for your enthusiastic responses! Just got an olympus camera + tripod, charger, batts, extra cf cards and filter.
    Special shoutout to adam (thecheat). Haha. Din get the 7i in the end. Too big la. Haha.hope u have fun with your 7i!show me some pics le. Your other link din work
    Moderator, if u'd be so kind as to close this thread.

Cheers!

Hey people,
    Thanks for your enthusiastic responses! Just got an olympus camera + tripod, charger, batts, extra cf cards and filter.
    Special shoutout to adam (thecheat). Haha. Din get the 7i in the end. Too big la. Haha.hope u have fun with your 7i!show me some pics le. Your other link din work
    Moderator, if u'd be so kind as to close this thread.

Cheers!
    The photoblog fell short on me... so sad...

Anyway, I'd posted my IR pictures in the forum at http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=68741. Seeking for any kinds of comments...

What is an analogue SLR?

heh.. presuming analogue is the film kind.
    cause opposite of digital is analogue *my own theory * no?

to thecheat...
    oops.. posted on wrong thread... here it is again
    "
    oh! thanks. haha.
    anyway, saw your photos. quite nice but the bottom 3 looks quite outta focus... intentional? or maybe your filter not clean. hee. but otherwise really cool look. very serene... maybe cause got no pple in them

"