Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 402

Thread: D300s User Thread

  1. #41

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    I got mine today.

    free 2pcs Kingston SD 8Gb Class4.
    I will use that until I need faster cards.

    Also grab the 16-85VR and SB-600 from CP.
    Congrats I thought that you had changed your mind. Do you mind PM me what you got for the 16-85. Txs

    Cheers

  2. #42

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    I got mine today.

    free 2pcs Kingston SD 8Gb Class4.
    I will use that until I need faster cards.

    Also grab the 16-85VR and SB-600 from CP.
    How much u got for ur d300s body?

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    congratz, and welcome... enjoy the camera...~~!!!
    Thanks.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Treetrunk View Post
    Congrats I thought that you had changed your mind. Do you mind PM me what you got for the 16-85. Txs

    Cheers
    pm-ed.

    i've been procrastinating for a while to pick up photography.

    i dun expect to change my setup until i see the need to.

  5. #45
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    pm-ed.

    i've been procrastinating for a while to pick up photography.

    i dun expect to change my setup until i see the need to.

    Welcome to the club. With the D300s, you can now play with MF Ais lenses. The camera will meter with these old but classic lenses. And they are cheap too! Just picked up a 85mm F2 MF lens. Loving it and the 50/1.2 I already have as well.

  6. #46

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Welcome to the club. With the D300s, you can now play with MF Ais lenses. The camera will meter with these old but classic lenses. And they are cheap too! Just picked up a 85mm F2 MF lens. Loving it and the 50/1.2 I already have as well.

    Hey bro, dont mind me asking how pic quality from the 85 f2, thinking of getting it for my once in a blue moon portraits shots....
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Welcome to the club. With the D300s, you can now play with MF Ais lenses. The camera will meter with these old but classic lenses. And they are cheap too! Just picked up a 85mm F2 MF lens. Loving it and the 50/1.2 I already have as well.
    thanks,

    will try out the AI-S lens one of these days, MF needs patience

  8. #48
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    Hey bro, dont mind me asking how pic quality from the 85 f2, thinking of getting it for my once in a blue moon portraits shots....
    It is very nice wide open. It is definitely not as sharp as the AFD 85/1.4. But It exhibits a slightly dreamy feel but sharp enough. The feel of the lens is slightly different. Bokeh is quite pleasing, but may look a little harsh with highlights or metalic objects (which most large aperture lenses show also).

    Here is a test pic. Not edited except for slight adjustments in brightness, and resize. No sharpening added. Sorry I have to cover most of the face of the friend on the pic. Click to see large version.

    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th May 2010 at 04:30 PM.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It is very nice wide open. It is definitely not as sharp as the AFD 85/1.4. But It exhibits a slightly dreamy feel but sharp enough. The feel of the lens is slightly different. Bokeh is quite pleasing, but may look a little harsh with highlights or metalic objects (which most large aperture lenses show also).

    I will upload a picture soon.
    Faster leh, mai tu liao.. i wan to see aso.. *bring tml leh*
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  10. #50
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Faster leh, mai tu liao.. i wan to see aso.. *bring tml leh*
    Upload liao bro. see original post. Bokeh swee bo? And this shot is 1 shot 1 kill. Never take 2nd shot. Aim, focus, shoot. No adjustments of EV etc... Took the pic when testing the lens b4 paying.

    OK OK tmr I bring.. I hope tomorrow wun rain like today...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th May 2010 at 04:37 PM.

  11. #51

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Upload liao bro. see original post. Bokeh swee bo? OK OK tmr I bring.. I hope tomorrow wun rain like today...
    wah the bokeh is quite pleasing, natural soft look overall... tempted...

    kpo abit, tomorrow can i tag along... hehehehehe..

    thanks bro for the upload...
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

  12. #52
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    wah the bokeh is quite pleasing, natural soft look overall... tempted...

    kpo abit, tomorrow can i tag along... hehehehehe..

    thanks bro for the upload...
    Erm, you have to run that by the outing organizer. It is a newbie shoot outing, where 3-4 newbies will be paired up with some slightly more experienced shooters like Numnumball and myself. Where we will answer and guide the newbies during the shoot, all in good CS spirit. This outing has such good response that the organizer had to do a cut off. Maybe you can come the following outing. And if you are a slightly more experienced shooter, I encourage you to come and share with the newbies.

    Look for the thread in Outings, called Newbie shoot at National stadium.

    And btw, the lens is cheap too... The seller has another 105mm F/2.5 Ai for sale. That is one of the highly regarded classic lens. I did not get that because I find it quite tight mounted to a DX camera (FOV almost 160mm). If you like that kind of crop, you should go for it. That lens is very cheap as well. PM me if you are interested and I will guide you to the BnS post. Actually I am quite tempted to get the 105 as well... but have to controlllllll... argh..!!
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th May 2010 at 04:44 PM.

  13. #53

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    i see, heads up for the info...
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

  14. #54
    Member pawpaw23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Hi Daredevil, can share where can i buy the 85 f2 AiS? and also the price range? Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Welcome to the club. With the D300s, you can now play with MF Ais lenses. The camera will meter with these old but classic lenses. And they are cheap too! Just picked up a 85mm F2 MF lens. Loving it and the 50/1.2 I already have as well.
    Nikon D300s + MB-D10 | Nikon D60 | 18 - 55 mm VR | 18 - 105 mm VR | 50 mm 1.8D | SB 600

  15. #55
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw23 View Post
    Hi Daredevil, can share where can i buy the 85 f2 AiS? and also the price range? Thanks
    You have to buy it used in BnS or from 2nd hand shops or from friends who are selling the lens. 85/2 Ai (no Ais for this lens) had only a very small and short production run. I personally bought it from a great seller from BnS. Should cost around 300-350 for a good condition one. Tons of Ais lenses floating around and they are at great value. The construction and build are much better than lenses nowadays and some has optics that exceed current day lenses.

    Other Ai(s) you might want to check out:

    85mm 1.4 - I heard it is very very good, almost at par with the current 85/1.4D. Should go around 800-900 SGD depending on condition.

    50mm 1.2 - ultra large aperture. But bokeh can get a little harsh with highlights. But ultra thin DoF is achievable. Soft dreamy feel. Definitely not as sharp wide open. But once stopped down to around 1.8, it is tack sharp. Cost around 700 for a good conditioned one. You can still order it new for around 1+k.

    105mm 2.5 - One of the classics. Tack sharp wide open. As sharp as the 70-200VR, and bokeh is super smooth matching the 70-200VR. Only thing is it is a little tight for the DX format. But if you like to shoot from a slightly further distance away, or if you are on FX, this is a must have lens. Should cost around 350 for a good condition Ais version. And 300 for an Ai version.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th May 2010 at 09:05 AM.

  16. #56
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    For those of you who want to know more about MF lenses, there is this mass sales thread that sells these lenses. It is also a good guide as the TS there posted a lot of info as well as sample pictures he took using the lenses.

  17. #57
    Member pawpaw23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Thanks for the info DareDevil, hope I can find one. I sae ur photo, very nice bokeh..
    Nikon D300s + MB-D10 | Nikon D60 | 18 - 55 mm VR | 18 - 105 mm VR | 50 mm 1.8D | SB 600

  18. #58
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw23 View Post
    Thanks for the info DareDevil, hope I can find one. I sae ur photo, very nice bokeh..
    Yes it is quite creamy. The thing is many of the old Ai(s) lenses exhibit a dreamy effect when shot on DSLR. Film is a lot more forgiving than digital, and lenses that are tack sharp on film may not be that sharp on DSLR sometimes. The thing is, for portraits, I think it work out well. Too sharp also becomes an issue.

  19. #59

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    hi i am new here,nikon d300s good for street,Macros,Landscape/City-scapes and Travel ?
    thinking to buy 1...

  20. #60
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: D300s User Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NeWbLooD View Post
    hi i am new here,nikon d300s good for street,Macros,Landscape/City-scapes and Travel ?
    thinking to buy 1...
    D90 is also good for street, macros, landscape, cityscapes and travel.

    Read several posts up to see what D300s offers more than the D90.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •