Thread: Tianya filters

Default Tianya filters

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying Tianya holder + gnd for sigma 10-20mm. I have a few doubts I hope existing users can help me with
    1. If I use "Tian-Ya Square Filter Holder for wide angle lens", do I still need the ring adapter for sigma10-20?
    2. I've never used gnd before... Which color of gnd is most commonly used? I'll most probably be shooting sunsets at beaches/reservoirs. I'm guessing black gives the natural look but I hope to get some advice on this.
    Thank you!

Thumbs down Re: Tianya filters

Quote Originally Posted by wenzheng View Post
    Hi all, I'm thinking of buying Tianya holder + gnd for sigma 10-20mm. I have a few doubts I hope existing users can help me with
    1. If I use "Tian-Ya Square Filter Holder for wide angle lens", do I still need the ring adapter for sigma10-20?
    2. I've never used gnd before... Which color of gnd is most commonly used? I'll most probably be shooting sunsets at beaches/reservoirs. I'm guessing black gives the natural look but I hope to get some advice on this.
    Thank you!
    Hi,

1. Never used Tianya before, but based on prior experience with Cokin and current with Lee.
    I think a ring adaptor is a must else how are u gg to attach the holder onto ur lens? (dun think it can fit directly into ur 77mm filter thread) All Slot in GND works this way..

2. Just get those normal ones (dense and clear portion) not color grads.

HTH
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Default Re: Tianya filters

you will definitely need a adaptor ring that fits your UWA. Do note that you will need an UWA holder which will only hold one piece of filter. The regular holder that can hold 3 pieces of filters, will cause vignetting at 10mm.

Normal GND ( Grey at the top, clear at the bottom) is probably the one that you will use the most often.
    Coloured filters are ok if you know what you want to achieve. Although coloured GND effects can be reproduced using PP

my first gnd is a tianya. the grey one. night86mare advise me that there is no need to buy the color ones as the effect can be reproduced in computer.

later i bought a cokin 3 stop. i find it to be more better, as it is hard edge filter. Tianya is soft edge, and it is so obvious in the pic.

but cokin does produce color cast... or u can try hitech.. not sure how neutral are them.

Thanks for all the input!
    I asked the first question because I saw this post in another thread: "I can use it without any vignetting (well not that I can see) and without taking off my regular sized UV filter. The holder will fit directly onto the lens, not too loosely but not that tight either, meaning I didn't use the ring adapter. It won't fall off by itself unless taking a picture of the floor (I didn't try)."
    But I think I'll just buy the 77mm adapter ring anyway.