Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    210

    Default Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    Hello everyone!

    As you may already be knowing through my previous thread, I bought my 1st DSLR which is a Canon 550D.

    Yesterday while shooing with my friends, one of my friends accidentally touched my lens and now I've a finger print on the lens. How do I remove the finger print?

    I'm damn paranoid about my DSLR and I'm thinking about taking it to the Canon Service Centre tomorrow, Harbourfront is quite near from where I live. Will they clean my lens free of charge? Or will they charge me?
    Canon EOS 550D. 18-55mm. 50mm f/1.8 II.

  2. #2
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    just buy a lens pen if not use a micro fibre clothe to wipe.

  3. #3
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    To prevent prints or anything touching the lens glass, get a UV filter. At least, the filter can be cleaned and at worst, change a new one.

    HTH.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  4. #4
    Member Cheap-cheap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Scrap Yard
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    Accidents do happen....just use a lens pen. Works magic.
    Hey think of it as an identification mark!! :-D
    better toput a thumb print there too as it is more distinct....

  5. #5

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    Get a lens pen and clean it yourself. Fingerprints or smudges happen to the front element or filter (if there is one) so often, takes only seconds to clean it.

  6. #6
    Member bobgosling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bedok Road, Singapore
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    As Dingaroo said, get a UV filter and leave it permanently fitted ( and don't skimp on the cost , buy a B&W one, not a cheaper version ). B&W filters have a particularly resilient coating and will last a long time. If you ever managed to scratch the front you just need to buy a new filter instead of a new lens.

    I'm surprised you didn't get a cleaning kit as part of the deal when you purchased your camera. Use a soft, lint-free cloth and some lens cleaning fluid and do it in a dust-free environment with good lighting so you can see what you're doing. Bathrooms are good. Honestly, it's not a big deal.
    Canon 550D + Sigma 17-70 + Canon 70-300 + Canon 50/1.8 + Nissin Di866 + Benro A1691T

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    just a micro fibre cloth can wipe away.

    unless have oil stain, use Isopropyl Alcohol IPA (70%) or water with cotton to wipe away.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    This may be ill advice, but I sometimes just use some part of my t-shirt to clean, but only when the t-shirt is fresh, as in, not after a whole day's walk. =P And especially so for cheaper lenses where a B+W filter may cost as much as, or more than the lens itself. Haha!
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  9. #9
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    lens pen or a micro fibre cloth normally do the trick
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  10. #10

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    omg...u have damaged your lens. u can sell it to me cause it is not usable anymore...

  11. #11
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    Quote Originally Posted by bobgosling View Post
    As Dingaroo said, get a UV filter and leave it permanently fitted ( and don't skimp on the cost , buy a B&W one, not a cheaper version ). B&W filters have a particularly resilient coating and will last a long time. If you ever managed to scratch the front you just need to buy a new filter instead of a new lens.

    I'm surprised you didn't get a cleaning kit as part of the deal when you purchased your camera. Use a soft, lint-free cloth and some lens cleaning fluid and do it in a dust-free environment with good lighting so you can see what you're doing. Bathrooms are good. Honestly, it's not a big deal.
    a B&W filter costs as much as an 18-55 kit lens I think! Or at least a large percentage of it!

    Would you put a $400 screen protector on a 32" LCD tv that costs $699?

    And... no matter how expensive the filter is, it still sometimes causes flare or ghosting, in which case it's better to remove the UV filter before shooting.
    Exploring! :)

  12. #12

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens


  13. #13

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    I'm using the Phottix HMC Slim UV filter 72mm which cost me $24. Its of a decent quality and mid-range build. Try getting it.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    Just clean it with a micro-fiber cloth and get a filter for future protection.

    Its no big deal.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    Quote Originally Posted by wizz747 View Post
    Hello everyone!

    As you may already be knowing through my previous thread, I bought my 1st DSLR which is a Canon 550D.

    Yesterday while shooing with my friends, one of my friends accidentally touched my lens and now I've a finger print on the lens. How do I remove the finger print?

    I'm damn paranoid about my DSLR and I'm thinking about taking it to the Canon Service Centre tomorrow, Harbourfront is quite near from where I live. Will they clean my lens free of charge? Or will they charge me?
    Were you pissed with your friend?
    I have expensive camera and big lenses but don't know how to use..... Sound familar???

  16. #16
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    Quote Originally Posted by wizz747 View Post
    I'm damn paranoid about my DSLR and I'm thinking about taking it to the Canon Service Centre tomorrow, Harbourfront is quite near from where I live. Will they clean my lens free of charge? Or will they charge me?
    Stop being paranoid, unless you can afford it (literally) by buying lots of protective stuffs. Others have mentioned already UV filters or clear protectors. Read up about them, know what the potential side effects can be (hint: filter flare). If you get one then don't scrimp at the wrong end.
    Cameras are meant to be used and in the course of usage there will be accidents like yours. Use cleaning cloth (like the one used for glasses) and cleaning solutions, available in camera shops. The best way to prevent such incidents is keeping the camera at home and stop using it ...
    Of course you can bring your camera to CSC for cleaning the finger print. Have you ever seen a car driver going to car shop for removing flies from wind screen?
    EOS

  17. #17

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
    I'm using the Phottix HMC Slim UV filter 72mm which cost me $24. Its of a decent quality and mid-range build. Try getting it.
    Yup UV filter but TS shouldn't buy 72mm one. Kit lens filter thread size is not 72mm...

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    OMG, just a finger print on the front will not have much impact on the image. If its the back element then it will be different. Just clean it with a microfibre cloth. no point putting a filter on a kit lenses.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    a B&W filter costs as much as an 18-55 kit lens I think! Or at least a large percentage of it!

    Would you put a $400 screen protector on a 32" LCD tv that costs $699?

    And... no matter how expensive the filter is, it still sometimes causes flare or ghosting, in which case it's better to remove the UV filter before shooting.
    Why not? Your first few lines seem to imply that a cheaper filter should be the way to go. The 18-55 is not a optically superb lens but it works for the most users and why shouldn't they get a UV filter to protect what perhaps may be their only lens? If there is flare due to light sources, etc, then of course, they can always remove it. If they are shooting away from flare-causing light sources then using a good quality filter will not degrade the image quality.

  20. #20
    Member banana0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    jurong west
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Finger print on Canon 550D lens

    Quote Originally Posted by ywh View Post
    Why not? Your first few lines seem to imply that a cheaper filter should be the way to go. The 18-55 is not a optically superb lens but it works for the most users and why shouldn't they get a UV filter to protect what perhaps may be their only lens? If there is flare due to light sources, etc, then of course, they can always remove it. If they are shooting away from flare-causing light sources then using a good quality filter will not degrade the image quality.
    relax he just telling you that it's not worth placing a uv filter on kit lenses, except if this one's an ultrazooms(which is quite expensive)

    Pricewise why bother buying a good protection if you can buy another Lens at the same price.
    and be reminded no matter how good your uv filter is, it still add up to Image degradation .
    Last edited by banana0ne; 19th April 2010 at 07:22 PM.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •