Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Alternatives to L Bracket?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Alternatives to L Bracket?

    I'm interested in taking horizontal panoramas with the camera in portrait orientation.

    As I'm just playing with the idea of panoramas, the RRS, Kirk, Acratech solutions are too expensive for me at the moment. I do intend to switch over the Arca Swiss system in the future but I can't justify the cost right now.

    Are there any other alternatives out there, other than machining some L plate from some piece of metal? The cheap Manfrotto "elbow bracket" doesn't look convincing either...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,782

    Default Re: Alternatives to L Bracket?

    Try a second hand kirk or RRS L plate from POTN / FM forums (:
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Alternatives to L Bracket?

    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Try a second hand kirk or RRS L plate from POTN / FM forums (:
    Any other suggestions?

  4. #4
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: Alternatives to L Bracket?

    Poor man's L-Plate: Try something like this if you are good at DIY.
    http://azug.minpet.unibas.ch/~pascal/cgi-bin/loadframeset.pl?photo/brackets.html+brackets.html
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Alternatives to L Bracket?

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Poor man's L-Plate: Try something like this if you are good at DIY.
    http://azug.minpet.unibas.ch/~pascal/cgi-bin/loadframeset.pl?photo/brackets.html+brackets.html
    I came across that site while searching already. Unfortunately, my DIY skills are...

    Thanks guys for the suggestions anyways.
    Need more ideas...

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Alternatives to L Bracket?

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    I'm interested in taking horizontal panoramas with the camera in portrait orientation.

    As I'm just playing with the idea of panoramas, the RRS, Kirk, Acratech solutions are too expensive for me at the moment. I do intend to switch over the Arca Swiss system in the future but I can't justify the cost right now.

    Are there any other alternatives out there, other than machining some L plate from some piece of metal? The cheap Manfrotto "elbow bracket" doesn't look convincing either...
    you are looking for a Pano Head or just L plate? you pay for what you get, the is noting cheap, unless you go DIY route.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Alternatives to L Bracket?

    Or use a 3 way pan head instead of ballhead.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Alternatives to L Bracket?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you are looking for a Pano Head or just L plate? you pay for what you get, the is noting cheap, unless you go DIY route.
    I'm looking for just the L plate. I do understand that nothing is cheap.
    Looking for something in between the price range of the USD60+ (?) Manfrotto "elbow bracket" and the Kirk L Bracket.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Or use a 3 way pan head instead of ballhead.
    I have a panhead but it's not exactly the best (and safe) way to shoot pano in portrait orientation.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Alternatives to L Bracket?

    A good idea would be to look for 2nd hand L-plates. They are usually much cheaper as L-plates are not really highly sought after.

    Another possibility is to consider a universal L-plate from RRS. They may not fit perfectly as a customised plate but will go well with you next body. The universal plate is also cheaper.

    http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/item...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

    It is also possible to get plates that were designed for other bodies. For example you can screw on a D200 L-plate on a D700. Although it does not fit perfectly and you cannot access some openings, it should work well enough.

    While I have seen a number of DIY plates, these are all straight. I think it is not easy to DIY an L-plate. If you see the RRS video you can see that huge amount of metal is machined off a single block of metal.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Alternatives to L Bracket?

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    ...

    Another possibility is to consider a universal L-plate from RRS. They may not fit perfectly as a customised plate but will go well with you next body. The universal plate is also cheaper.

    ...
    Wow. I didn't realise that there was a universal plate. Thanks for the heads up!
    What other demerits does it have besides the fit? Hmm...
    But for the price, it looks pretty attractive.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Alternatives to L Bracket?

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    What other demerits does it have besides the fit? Hmm...
    But for the price, it looks pretty attractive.
    Customised L-plate will allow you to access all the openings easily which a universal plate might not.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •