Thread: Awakened

Default Awakened

An experiment of strobist/minimalist approach.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

• composition
    • lighting
    • appeal

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

As to whether people can understand the roughness, ruggedness and left behind feeling of the object in the picture.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Night. Dark.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

As u open the garage door slightly, you see a glimpse of a piece of machine that had aged, used, rugged but still breathes fire deep within, longing for a ride out into the wind.

Settings:

Camera: Canon EOS 450D
    Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Focal Length: 37 mm
    ISO Speed: 100
    Focus: Manual
    Flash: Off-Camera Flash

Will appreaciate honest comments be it positive or negative.

Default Re: Awakened

Sorry, unable to grasp what you're trying to say / explain.

Am sure one of this days, you will upgrade to submit for young photographer competition, keep in mind that the judges will have no time to find out / or read what's in your picture.

Within 3 ~ 5 sec, if your picture unable to grab the judges's attn, means you're out.

try to learn, taking picture that need no write up or lengthy explanation.

it took me a while to even see what's in the picture. it isn't obvious enough.
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

i have no idea what the picture was until I googled "R6 deltabox III"

@ TS, I'm not a big bike techie but maybe you can show something like an entire engine to at least give the viewers an idea of what they are looking at and what to look for (at least in my case )
    I shoot with my D300S . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

as others have mentioned, i cant figure out the picture.

however, your idea is there. just need to fine tune it.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Sorry, unable to grasp what you're trying to say / explain.

Am sure one of this days, you will upgrade to submit for young photographer competition, keep in mind that the judges will have no time to find out / or read what's in your picture.

Within 3 ~ 5 sec, if your picture unable to grab the judges's attn, means you're out.

try to learn, taking picture that need no write up or lengthy explanation.
    Will tk note on the matter, time to experiment further.

Quote Originally Posted by krishna91 View Post
    it took me a while to even see what's in the picture. it isn't obvious enough.

Quote Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post
    i have no idea what the picture was until I googled "R6 deltabox III"

@ TS, I'm not a big bike techie but maybe you can show something like an entire engine to at least give the viewers an idea of what they are looking at and what to look for (at least in my case )
    hmmz, think both of you got a point as this is not something general and common to people thus, there is a limitation plus the concept of darkness making it much more harder to understand. thx.
    will work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    as others have mentioned, i cant figure out the picture.

however, your idea is there. just need to fine tune it.
    yup, this is my 1st PP done on this type of experiment..
    had the idea in my head for days..like what you said, need to fine tune it further.
    thx.

Before reading your explanation, I was wondering why you took a photo of a banged up R6.

Part of 'R' and the '6' are blocked or unlit and as someone mentioned, maybe showing more of the engine would have helped for viewers not familiar with bikes.

The idea has potential though. Thanks for sharing.

This is a concept picture...need some brainstorming and fine tuning.
    When it is exquisitely done... it will be a combination of ...idea, art, creativity plus technique.
    A piece of illustrative, commercial, advertising art.

Though, currently, you have just started with the idea...

not too good

I cant quite capture what the image is on the first look,

and the second look

and a third much closer study

It would be easier to learn german on my first try

I think you should show more of the subject. The lighting is too low key for my liking. Also, it will be good to include a context, such as a dim background. For example, your storyline is "as you open the garage door", but nothing in this image suggests anything remotely related to a garage. There is no setting in this picture, I feel.

I do like your storyline, though, and I think others have already given you some good feedback on how to improve it, so hope to see something exciting from you the next time around.

My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Before reading your explanation, I was wondering why you took a photo of a banged up R6.

Part of 'R' and the '6' are blocked or unlit and as someone mentioned, maybe showing more of the engine would have helped for viewers not familiar with bikes.

The idea has potential though. Thanks for sharing.
    True enough. Need to tk note of subjects should be more common/well known. If nt, people might go figuring this out.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    This is a concept picture...need some brainstorming and fine tuning.
    When it is exquisitely done... it will be a combination of ...idea, art, creativity plus technique.
    A piece of illustrative, commercial, advertising art.

Though, currently, you have just started with the idea...
    Hahaha at least i know im somewhere...over the rainbow..

Quote Originally Posted by alcohollywood View Post
    I think you should show more of the subject. The lighting is too low key for my liking. Also, it will be good to include a context, such as a dim background. For example, your storyline is "as you open the garage door", but nothing in this image suggests anything remotely related to a garage. There is no setting in this picture, I feel.

I do like your storyline, though, and I think others have already given you some good feedback on how to improve it, so hope to see something exciting from you the next time around.

My 2 cents.
    Thx bro, hope to improve on this concept as well. Got some new ideas running in the head now.. need to PP the idea in the head also..

Thx for the constructive comments. A first experiment, learnt a few tips along the way.

Interesting idea. I suggest lighting the metallic parts since that's the part that would catch light naturally. For the R6, i think the headlights really stand out. Other than the engine, you can consider lighting the wheels and/or brakes. That will probably bring the picture out better than lighting the text. You can also try back and side lighting to bring out the form of the bike.

Hope you succeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Maria32 View Post
    the lightning is too dark that I cannot figure out what the image is...but I like the explanation/concept..
    Thx fr the comments. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaixiang View Post
    Interesting idea. I suggest lighting the metallic parts since that's the part that would catch light naturally. For the R6, i think the headlights really stand out. Other than the engine, you can consider lighting the wheels and/or brakes. That will probably bring the picture out better than lighting the text. You can also try back and side lighting to bring out the form of the bike.

Hope you succeed!
    Hmmz.. u read my mind. was actually thinking of back lighting it now..haha.

i duno what is in this pic...
    but ur concept is there i guess...
    try again... keep trying.
    keep up the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie01 View Post
    i duno what is in this pic...
    but ur concept is there i guess...
    try again... keep trying.
    keep up the effort.
    Its actually a picture of a banged up R6 bike taken in a dark room with off camera flash to give the idea of light coming from an ajar door.

If this picture consist with elements like a phrase or tagline. Something like showcasing a upcoming new model of bike with proper layout. It might work as a advertisment. But as a picture itself. I find that it's a bit weak. Like what others said, people won't know what it is. My own opinion

I quite like the lighting, but perhaps there is way too much negative space, the black area, especially at the top and bottom of the photo. I think cropping it, probably in a 16:9 aspect ratio would be nicer. Looks like an product shot.

Nice idea i guess...

I cant figure out what I was supposed to be seeing after staring for about 5min

I think my screen needs calibration ???

Keep shooting
    I probably collect lenses more than I take pictures
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33270154@N03/

The highlighted area isn't bright enough and too much dark space. I could not make out what was in the image. Keeping some other parts of the subject lit may give viewers a better clue to what the "R6 Deltabox" is.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]