Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 40th anniversary of earth day 2010, 22nd april

  1. #1
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default 40th anniversary of earth day 2010, 22nd april

    hi guys

    any idea if there is going to be "celebration" in singapore on 22nd april? went to National Park Site but they point event to USA
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: 40th anniversary of earth day 2010, 22nd april

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    hi guys

    any idea if there is going to be "celebration" in singapore on 22nd april? went to National Park Site but they point event to USA
    wah, Superman older than Earth...

    i think Singapore 5 year older than Earth! amazing discovery!
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3

    Default Re: 40th anniversary of earth day 2010, 22nd april

    Personally I think propagating the so-called earth day is rather counter-intuitive. Just imagine how many resources, printing ads, etc. of carbon footprint has increase over this earth day thingy? Who benefits the most you guess? Advertising companies, rock bands, etc. Not the earth!

    They want us to in unison, shut off our lights. But the marketing effort and cost alone already wasted more than our brief period of "lights off".

    They told us we can "save the earth" if we turn off the lights when not in use, and all those superficial efforts. I say if we could all ride bicycles for a start and slow down in our cost of lifestyles and put away all our pride, we might prolong the the earth lifespan a little more. How are we suppose to save the earth if our mere existence keeps harming it??

    All these efforts from earth day thingy I guess is all symbolic. Perhaps with all these marketing attention gained they can even derive some profits by selling some earth day T-shirts, mugs, or other knit-knacks. Of course, all in the name of saving the earth.

    PS: I couldn't sleep at this hour, so these are my muse...
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. ~Yousuf Karsh.
    http://www.flickr.com/dslrman

  4. #4

    Default Re: 40th anniversary of earth day 2010, 22nd april

    DSLRMan - I agree with you......Earth Day, could be like Mother's Day, Father's Day, Children's Day....etc... get your t-shirt and support the campaign. I mean carbon trading is based on........nothing! Money from nothing. It is fantastic!

    Perhaps really this is a distraction from the issues of consuming our natural resources like there is no tomorrow. We are a throw away society. We buy more rubbish than products in our shopping than stuff we can use/reuse. Our bins are always full every day! Sure Singapore burns it's rubbish to reduce it but the amount of ash that we're moving is able to create islands!

    People want to do Earth Day to be proactive in looking after this planet and this is good. It reminds "developed nations" that it is their responsibility to start consuming wisely. Get people talking about what they can do. Perhaps we can have a Reduce Rubbish Week. A week where we look at how we consume our resources and start re-evaluating what we really need.....start living sustainably.
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 18th April 2010 at 04:30 AM.
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

  5. #5

    Default Re: 40th anniversary of earth day 2010, 22nd april

    Eh, this is not what I meant

    No, I don't support earth day. Its just a marketing propaganda. The earth don't benefit but marketing agencies, printing ad firms and rock bands do, as mentioned.

    Marketers needs consumerism for business sustainability. So logically marketers are responsible of fulling of rubbish bins.

    I think the real driving force to "save the earth" should be the government (read the keyword "force"). The government should enforce building less factories, promotes less consumerism lifestyle, restrict car ownerships based on utilitarian purposes rather than as a luxury item.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    DSLRMan - I agree with you......Earth Day, could be like Mother's Day, Father's Day, Children's Day....etc... get your t-shirt and support the campaign. I mean carbon trading is based on........nothing! Money from nothing. It is fantastic!

    Perhaps really this is a distraction from the issues of consuming our natural resources like there is no tomorrow. We are a throw away society. We buy more rubbish than products in our shopping than stuff we can use/reuse. Our bins are always full every day! Sure Singapore burns it's rubbish to reduce it but the amount of ash that we're moving is able to create islands!

    People want to do Earth Day to be proactive in looking after this planet and this is good. It reminds "developed nations" that it is their responsibility to start consuming wisely. Get people talking about what they can do. Perhaps we can have a Reduce Rubbish Week. A week where we look at how we consume our resources and start re-evaluating what we really need.....start living sustainably.
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. ~Yousuf Karsh.
    http://www.flickr.com/dslrman

  6. #6

    Default Re: 40th anniversary of earth day 2010, 22nd april

    I know - I was being facetious. I agree with you. It has become a marketing tool to make money. But it also highlights that people want to do something. Govts can put in rules and regulations but also we the people have power to get it moving along......
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: 40th anniversary of earth day 2010, 22nd april

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    I know - I was being facetious. I agree with you. It has become a marketing tool to make money. But it also highlights that people want to do something. Govts can put in rules and regulations but also we the people have power to get it moving along......
    i donno about other govts, but our govt will only do so if there is $$$ into it

  8. #8

    Default Re: 40th anniversary of earth day 2010, 22nd april

    Then, I guess I am too candour to a fault

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    I know - I was being facetious. I agree with you. It has become a marketing tool to make money. But it also highlights that people want to do something. Govts can put in rules and regulations but also we the people have power to get it moving along......
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. ~Yousuf Karsh.
    http://www.flickr.com/dslrman

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •