Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: qns abt night photography

Default Re: qns abt night photography

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    I agree on the tripod part.

For the sake of discussion, how should the histogram be interpreted, if only the lights of the firefly are the main highlights, means it will be bunched to the left?
    i need to learn about this too... knows nothing abt histogram for now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kaixiang View Post
    Agreed

Especially if you are going with family and friends who are not photography geeks. I took like 1-2 photo and kept the camera in the bag mostly.

By the way f/2.8, 1/50 and ISO 1600 is not enough. That's the kind of setting to use for a home interior at night with the lights on. Fireflies are much dimmer than that.
    then leave the shutter speed longer and catch light trails .

or get a bloody 5dmk2 and shoot at iso 12800

saw this on internet, written in Chinese tho.

http://www.wretch.cc/blog/louischone/21225709

basically need high iso, large aperture, time of shooting is also very important, and some photos are done by stacking multiple photos.

Welcome to CS. Get use to blunt advises. They do have truth in it.

After looking at the sample shots, I think the timing you take the shot, and tripod for your camera are critical factors.

Your sample shots should be taken shortly after sunset time (not total darkness), so the fireflies' light trails aren't too long.

Lastly, turn off your flash and don't forget to share your shots!
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ektang View Post
    i need to learn about this too... knows nothing abt histogram for now.
    Yah... me too need to learn about histogram.. so far I only survive by turning on the "highlights warning" feature.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    Welcome to CS. Get use to blunt advises. They do have truth in it.

After looking at the sample shots, I think the timing you take the shot, and tripod for your camera are critical factors.

Your sample shots should be taken shortly after sunset time (not total darkness), so the fireflies' light trails aren't too long.

Lastly, turn off your flash and don't forget to share your shots!
    I'm not offended, don't worry. Perhaps I didn't start off with a longer introduction too.

Thanks for all the advice, I will post the pics at Clubsnap FB, if I can manage to get decent ones. :-)

For tripod, may I ask if the DIGIEYE brand is gd? Did a search but didn't find much info here. Am thinking to get the TR-37 at ~$30. My friend is using a Sony prosumer and needs to get one too.

Quote Originally Posted by ektang View Post
    I'm not offended, don't worry. Perhaps I didn't start off with a longer introduction too.

Thanks for all the advice, I will post the pics at Clubsnap FB, if I can manage to get decent ones. :-)

For tripod, may I ask if the DIGIEYE brand is gd? Did a search but didn't find much info here. Am thinking to get the TR-37 at ~$30. My friend is using a Sony prosumer and needs to get one too.
    u can also upload the photos to the clubsnap gallery here, then you can start a thread and link your photos from there, refer to the stickies in newbies corner, "Forum-related FAQs and other useful info for newbies".

and for selection of tripod, refer to the guide here
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016

Quote Originally Posted by miaoteh View Post
    u can also upload the photos to the clubsnap gallery here, then you can start a thread and link your photos from there, refer to the stickies in newbies corner, "Forum-related FAQs and other useful info for newbies".

and for selection of tripod, refer to the guide here
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016
    Thanks, I know about the gallery.

For tripod, my camera is not a SLR or as heavy. I think a <$50 simple tripod should be good enough. Saw few DIGIEYE on sale, so wanted to hear some views abt this brand if possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12