Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58

Thread: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

  1. #41

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    This look suspiciously like the Afgani or the Teleban style. From TV footage whenever they are happy or angry they like to point their AK-47 up and firing away

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    I know of someone who love to "machine gun" his Canon EOS 7D into empty space to show of the "high speed burst capability" and the read/write speed of his Sandisk Extreme Pro or whatever as he click continuously on the shuttle button for minutes on end. Barely 4 months into purchasing his DLSR, the shuttle count is already approaching 180,000.
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. ~Yousuf Karsh.
    http://www.flickr.com/dslrman

  2. #42

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Taking multiple shots as an insurance yes I believe people does that, even in the past. But in the past people don't have the luxury of keep firing away and to choose the best shots as the technology is not there yet.


    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    no, because with a perfectionist's mentality, those guys would take multiple shots, either bracketing the exposure, trying different angles, catching slightly different moments, or just on a whim, so that they can have a higher probability of capturing a good image... 36 exposures can already provide quite a number of captures for ONE scene... or they can have another body handy, and thus have 72...
    actually, even for large format film, to this day, they do make it a point to take multiple captures, especially as the depth of focus is so narrow they may even have to bracket focus just to make sure they capture an image that is appropriately focused...
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. ~Yousuf Karsh.
    http://www.flickr.com/dslrman

  3. #43
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dslrman View Post
    This look suspiciously like the Afgani or the Teleban style. From TV footage whenever they are happy or angry they like to point their AK-47 up and firing away
    I suspect he could be actually be exaggerating the shutter count but knowing him for so long, I wouldn't actually be surprise if he was speaking the truth either.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  4. #44

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dslrman View Post
    Taking multiple shots as an insurance yes I believe people does that, even in the past. But in the past people don't have the luxury of keep firing away and to choose the best shots as the technology is not there yet.
    multiple high speed shutter release is the only "advanced" feature in question here?... it is a feature that has been available since the '80s, with the invention of the motordrive for film cameras, and even taking the film cartridge into account, squeezing off say 36 exposures per role in one go still allows for quite a bit of shooting...

    but, like what others have mentioned, what the camera is pointed at, the exposure, the angle, the set up of the shot, these are still up to the creativity of the photographer in creating a good shot, and merely squeezing off large burst of rapid fire exposures at random is not going to replace the creative process...

    so, no, having multiple high speed shutter release hardly reduces creativity in photography...

  5. #45

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Eh, Henri Cartier-Bresson don't use high shutter speed and he is honoured like a photog god, even amongst fellow photogs. He's famous "decisive moment" philosophy says it all.

    You got the point there. But taking multiple shots and choose the best, vs taking few but decisive shots is another point to ponder perhaps? But another point is, does technology auto-everything that we choose the easy way out just to get that creative shot?


    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    multiple high speed shutter release is the only "advanced" feature in question here?... it is a feature that has been available since the '80s, with the invention of the motordrive for film cameras, and even taking the film cartridge into account, squeezing off say 36 exposures per role in one go still allows for quite a bit of shooting...

    but, like what others have mentioned, what the camera is pointed at, the exposure, the angle, the set up of the shot, these are still up to the creativity of the photographer in creating a good shot, and merely squeezing off large burst of rapid fire exposures at random is not going to replace the creative process...

    so, no, having multiple high speed shutter release hardly reduces creativity in photography...
    Last edited by Dslrman; 18th April 2010 at 11:53 PM.
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. ~Yousuf Karsh.
    http://www.flickr.com/dslrman

  6. #46

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dslrman View Post
    Eh, Henri Cartier-Bresson don't use high shutter speed and he is honoured like a photog god, even amongst fellow photogs. He's famous "decisive moment" philosophy says it all.

    You got the point there. But taking multiple shots and choose the best, vs taking few but decisive shots is another point to ponder perhaps? But another point is, does technology auto-everything that we choose the easy way out just to get that creative shot?
    regarding M. Cartier-Bresson, do not mistake his "decisive moment" philosophy to mean that every shot he took was a great shot... even when his was at his very best, not every shot he took would be a classic, award winning, legendary shot... that's not to dishonour him, but that's just not possible even for great photographers... it's just that we do not see all his not so good shots, which as a master photographer, he decided to junk in his editorial process... here's an old article I vaguely remember reading years back from someone who did see some of those shots which did not make it into the light of day, and which also addresses the issues in this thread in a way...

    and like I mentioned earlier in post #24, "technology auto-everything" is there to facilitate you in expressing your creativity... it is not there to replace it... if it helps, use it; if it doesn't just ignore it...

  7. #47
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    because i machine gun my film camera before.
    I figured that out from your earlier posting
    Also coz I've seen that happen from movie before during the film camera days (guy with DSLR, machine guy a person fall of building)

  8. #48

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Yes every photogs definitely have more throwaway photos than keepers, including the best photogs in the world. Auto-everythings in a camera features can helps speeding up the workflow no doubt. But under that may layers of abstractions you only know what is above and not the depth. Sure, I can strive to be decisive and take fewer shots of the subject matter with all my concetration zoned in and I may end getting not even a single worthy shots. On the other hand, I can also get the best Atechnologically featured cameras and firing multiple shots. My chances of getting really great keeper shots are very high with this option. But at the end of the day the former educates me better to be a better photog more than the latter because creatively speaking I need to strain myself hard to understand compostion, the geometry relations and movement anticipation, when all these need to be decided within a trigger of a shutter button, in a split second of time! Of course you can disagree to my notion.

    Different point of views but its ok to express to get different perspectives and to share.

    PS: Thanks for the link. I had a great read on this.


    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    regarding M. Cartier-Bresson, do not mistake his "decisive moment" philosophy to mean that every shot he took was a great shot... even when his was at his very best, not every shot he took would be a classic, award winning, legendary shot... that's not to dishonour him, but that's just not possible even for great photographers... it's just that we do not see all his not so good shots, which as a master photographer, he decided to junk in his editorial process... here's an old article I vaguely remember reading years back from someone who did see some of those shots which did not make it into the light of day, and which also addresses the issues in this thread in a way...

    and like I mentioned earlier in post #24, "technology auto-everything" is there to facilitate you in expressing your creativity... it is not there to replace it... if it helps, use it; if it doesn't just ignore it...
    Last edited by Dslrman; 19th April 2010 at 04:19 PM.
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. ~Yousuf Karsh.
    http://www.flickr.com/dslrman

  9. #49
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    I own one of the best camera and lens that Nikon had...but my pictures still sucks....Am I hopeless leh?
    time to change genre

  10. #50

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    time to change genre
    Or maybe he should take a class?

  11. #51

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    haha is he Autobot or Decepticon?


    Quote Originally Posted by Dslrman View Post
    That is the last thing any photog would want to see it happens.

    There are already robots that automatically play the violin, assemble cars, etc. If any smart guy going to invent a robotic camera that can hover about any direction mid-air and take 360 degree photos with different zoom ranges and most importantly, with the cost of a full frame DSLR. By then...

    PS: I tried to strain my eyes to see the brand. I thought this suppose to be a top secret project for Nikon. Who leaked this out
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Well, my camera is better than your camera. I will leave it on the table, set it on "auto" and then the camera started moving and zooming in by itself to compose and when ready, it just shoots on it's own. 99% of the time, is not bad.

    Hint: it's not a Pentax...
    HTC DHD rox 非澹泊无以明志, 非宁静无以致远 ☯ ♋ Flickr

  12. #52
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilicrab1 View Post
    haha is he Autobot or Decepticon?
    Decepticon. Just look at the brand.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dslrman View Post
    Sure, I can strive to be decisive and take fewer shots of the subject matter with all my concetration zoned in and I may end getting not even a single worthy shots. On the other hand, I can also get the best Atechnologically featured cameras and firing multiple shots. My chances of getting really great keeper shots are very high with this option.
    first of all, what would one think of as "keeper" shots... I would say that shooting random rapid fire exposures would not produce more "keepers" if by "keepers" one means artistically skillful shots... it might give more shots that are appropriately focused, appropriately exposed, etc., but not necessarily "keepers"...

    and why does a camera having "all the best technology" prevent one from shooting delibrately? the two are not mutually exclusive... it is the photographer that chooses to shoot delibrately or to snap at random with rapid fire exposures... the photographer can choose whether to allow the automation to work if it helps his/her shooting process, or ignore it if it doesn't... the automation is there to make the process of capture easier so that the photographer can focus on the artistry, to have the photographer's "concentration zoned in"...

    if photographers are shooting random high speed exposures and not caring about creativity, it is the photographer's choice, not the camera's fault... and a photographer can choose not to exercise creativity whether he/she is using an advanced camera, a simple point and shoot film camera, a phone camera, any camera in fact...

  14. #54

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    No right or wrong, also depending on what kind of subject you are shooting. If technology is the means and ends of all, then how come field cameras till now not equiped with the latest technological features like high shutter speed, etc?

    I guess its due to the consumer demands. Lets say next time the trend is towards hi-speed photography perhaps we'll see IR triggered feature in the latest digital camera. But is the going against the true spirit of photography? Yes and No, depending on how you percieve it. Its a Yes because you are just letting the trigger do the shots without you affecting it (perhaps some compositions required) (Is taking multiple shots in succession close to this?); Its a No because it is considered a creative shots normal camara system cannot do.

    Necessity is the mother of all Invention...


    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    first of all, what would one think of as "keeper" shots... I would say that shooting random rapid fire exposures would not produce more "keepers" if by "keepers" one means artistically skillful shots... it might give more shots that are appropriately focused, appropriately exposed, etc., but not necessarily "keepers"...

    and why does a camera having "all the best technology" prevent one from shooting delibrately? the two are not mutually exclusive... it is the photographer that chooses to shoot delibrately or to snap at random with rapid fire exposures... the photographer can choose whether to allow the automation to work if it helps his/her shooting process, or ignore it if it doesn't... the automation is there to make the process of capture easier so that the photographer can focus on the artistry, to have the photographer's "concentration zoned in"...

    if photographers are shooting random high speed exposures and not caring about creativity, it is the photographer's choice, not the camera's fault... and a photographer can choose not to exercise creativity whether he/she is using an advanced camera, a simple point and shoot film camera, a phone camera, any camera in fact...
    Last edited by Dslrman; 19th April 2010 at 07:04 PM.
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. ~Yousuf Karsh.
    http://www.flickr.com/dslrman

  15. #55

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dslrman View Post
    No right or wrong, also depending on what kind of subject you are shooting. If technology is the means and ends of all, then how come field cameras till now not equiped with the latest technological features like AF, etc?
    return on investment for the research and development not sufficient to cover the cost of the research and development...

    but like I said, if photographers want to shoot at random, whether he or she uses a high tech or low tech camera, they can still shoot at random... its not only in recent times with cameras with "advanced features" that people have tried to shoot high volume and without creativity and then hope to get a good shot... the cameras are not to blame...

  16. #56

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    But it sure churn out high volume of random shots since its easy accessibilty of technological features? Due to its virtual and throwaway nature of technology.


    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    return on investment for the research and development not sufficient to cover the cost of the research and development...

    but like I said, if photographers want to shoot at random, whether he or she uses a high tech or low tech camera, they can still shoot at random... its not only in recent times with cameras with "advanced features" that people have tried to shoot high volume and without creativity and then hope to get a good shot... the cameras are not to blame...
    Last edited by Dslrman; 19th April 2010 at 07:29 PM.
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. ~Yousuf Karsh.
    http://www.flickr.com/dslrman

  17. #57

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dslrman View Post
    But it sure churn out high volume of random shots since its easy accessibilty of technological features? Due to its virtual and throwaway nature of technology.
    but high volume of random shots does not mean that there will be quality shots... to get shots of artistic merit, creativity will still have to be applied...

  18. #58

    Default Re: Are those advance features in cameras slowly depriving our creativity?

    Sure, I totally agree with you on this one. Can pick and choose from all the random shots, creative is needed also

    Joking aside. Theres no right or wrong answers to it. Its just an open discussion, everybody got his POVs. Your point of view can be right, or wrong. So does everybody else.


    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    but high volume of random shots does not mean that there will be quality shots... to get shots of artistic merit, creativity will still have to be applied...
    Last edited by Dslrman; 19th April 2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. ~Yousuf Karsh.
    http://www.flickr.com/dslrman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •