Thread: Which lens to use for both landscape & people with landscape

Default Which lens to use for both landscape & people with landscape

Hi I would to ask those seniors here which lens I can use to take photos with landscape & people with landscape. Is 17-50mm gd enough? What do you all recommend. Thank you

Default Re: Which lens to use for both landscape & people with landscape

Depends on the scene. Some landscape shots are even shot at 300mm. I suggest actually just going out and trying it.
    Alpha

Do you own this lens? Shoot more and get familiar with your shooting style. Yes, this lens work for landscape and portraits.

Will a 35mm prime lens seem fit?
    A photo is an art painted by light.

All lens can be used for landscape/portrait, much depends on the effect or the end result u want.. i seen ppl excel in UWA for portraits and tele for landscape.. so there's no lens in particular for this 2 purpose as most can deliver.

Though ideally when it comes to portraiture, dof matters so a wide aperture/longer focal length rendering wonder beautiful oof areas are most highly sought after..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Though ideally when it comes to portraiture, dof matters so a wide aperture/longer focal length rendering wonder beautiful oof areas are most highly sought after..
    u meant f11 etc/(but why longer focal length?) to render beautiful out of focus area?
    Canon.550D|EF-S 18-55mm| EF-S 55-250mm| EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6| EF 50mm 1:1.8|Di866

Quote Originally Posted by furyhawk View Post
    u meant f11 etc/(but why longer focal length?) to render beautiful out of focus area?
    Wide aperture lens literally means fast lens f2.8 and below (f2,f1.4,f1.2 etc) dear

Longer focal length render more natural, creamy oof areas becos increasing the focal length means decreasing the depth of field, isolating ur subject from the background. Whereas on the other hand, shooting at shorter focal length will bring more objects/subjects in the background to focus.

Tat said, there are also other considerable factors that contribute to that lovely bokeh we all desire ..

1. Minimize the distance between your cam and the subject -> X
    2. Increase the distance between your subject and the background ->Y

So the equation simply is
    Focus at ur closest focusing distance (X) and greater Y gives u better bokeh

I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

when I was still a green horn on photography, I got myself an all purpose len(18-200mm, Nikon)and I have no regret. I am still using it quite frequently and it never disappoing me.

If bokeh, low light photography & top image quality does not really matters a lot to you, then 18-200mm is really a worthy choice for a jack of all trade lens.

Thank you all seniors. Yup I got the 17-50mm but don't think is wide enough for landscape photo with people.

Quote Originally Posted by chipdale View Post
    Thank you all seniors. Yup I got the 17-50mm but don't think is wide enough for landscape photo with people.
    -_-''' ya try 10mm... then your subject appears small like ants...

it's all about subject distance and distance between subject and background... try figure it out... i find it wide enough even with 24mm on crop sensor...