Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: Ever face this problem with your friend?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Sometimes their just plain lazy. Most of my friends are just too lazy to do their own research and readings but they want to learn how to take good photographs too.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Exactly. that's why the picture looked like.no.other, including TS's

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    tell yoru friend is because he use sony.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    I got a friend who saw me always going out shooting and decided to try it out as a hobby. So he asked me if it is expensive. Unable to give a good answer, I replied to him that it depends on him much money and time he is able to dedicate to it. But if to polish his photograhpy skill, even a simple PNS can take some good photos. I intended to ask him try out with a manual PNS first.

    Next month he pop up with a Sony A350 or A330 with kit lens, I was like . He ask me what is need to maintain his camera, so I tell him a blower, a microfibre cloth and a dry cabinet. He started complaining photography is so expensive. I was a bit . He then went out shooting on his own. Then he compare and complain why his photo doesn't turn out like mine. So I ask him to point out one of my photo and compare. I explained that I use a faster lens for the DOF with external flash and ommibounce for the shot. He ask me how much it cost, I explained to him that it is quite costly for a fast lens and a external flash cost at least 200+ approximate. He complain about the cost of photography again.

    Next month his entu level drop alot and rarely ask anymore about photography...

    Is it my fault for misleading?
    No wonder more amateurs are turning to flying kite now.

    All you need is a few bamboo sticks and a piece of paper and a lot of wind.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    should have ask him to try Birding to know how expansive photography is.. haha

  5. #25
    Member papajanggo33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    rustic but charming hougang
    Posts
    898

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    i don't see any traits that could have mislead him via your explananation. but i do see something about your friend. pardon me, but he's just a typical chap with a 'BBB syndrome' that don't even come with the basic instinct ie; to ask 1st whether he need it or he wants it.

    it's self explanatory. from buying the cam on impulse(maybe), to wanting the IQ same as yours. i'd say he's just another statistic to contributing to the retail industry by throwing money just like that. pity the cam though...no skin gonna molest her no more
    Fun in photography is inFinity
    My Flickr

  6. #26

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Point him in the right direction. You should let him know that your better photos are because of the settings and knowledgeable usage. Emphasis on the gears you used won't help.

    Then again can't blame anyone over this, its a personal choice to spend the money

  7. #27
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    I got a friend who saw me always going out shooting and decided to try it out as a hobby. So he asked me if it is expensive. Unable to give a good answer, I replied to him that it depends on him much money and time he is able to dedicate to it. But if to polish his photograhpy skill, even a simple PNS can take some good photos. I intended to ask him try out with a manual PNS first.

    Next month he pop up with a Sony A350 or A330 with kit lens, I was like . He ask me what is need to maintain his camera, so I tell him a blower, a microfibre cloth and a dry cabinet. He started complaining photography is so expensive. I was a bit . He then went out shooting on his own. Then he compare and complain why his photo doesn't turn out like mine. So I ask him to point out one of my photo and compare. I explained that I use a faster lens for the DOF with external flash and ommibounce for the shot. He ask me how much it cost, I explained to him that it is quite costly for a fast lens and a external flash cost at least 200+ approximate. He complain about the cost of photography again.

    Next month his entu level drop alot and rarely ask anymore about photography...

    Is it my fault for misleading?
    Once a wise old man told me: "Son I want you to know this. There comes a time when you want anything, it will be too expensive for you."

    I asked him: "When do I know this?"

    He answered: " When you know it."

  8. #28
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Haiz, guess it is my fault for not giving enough details.
    Quite a close friend of mine, also consider a good friend of mine. (Sound contridicting? )
    My advice to him is to get a external flash and a good tripod for low light and start praticing first. I feel that flash helps him in understanding lighting faster and better.
    Others can wait.
    About the book, I am consider a bible to him so I don't really sees the point to the book . I reference him to the guides in the newbie forum for him to read up and get more knowledge.

    Goat: Ya sony isn't FTW, pentax also the same , Long Live CANON!!!
    Delighting you always

  9. #29

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    well, if he is a good or close friend of yours, i would be upfront with him...

    i am quite open with all my close friends, we all chide each other gently when there is something wrong that we do not agree with, and then deck it out with logic or the like, i'm sure the friendship is stronger than that ..

  10. #30
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    Haiz, guess it is my fault for not giving enough details.
    Quite a close friend of mine, also consider a good friend of mine. (Sound contridicting? )
    My advice to him is to get a external flash and a good tripod for low light and start praticing first. I feel that flash helps him in understanding lighting faster and better.
    Others can wait.
    About the book, I am consider a bible to him so I don't really sees the point to the book . I reference him to the guides in the newbie forum for him to read up and get more knowledge.

    Goat: Ya sony isn't FTW, pentax also the same , Long Live CANON!!!
    Delighting you always
    (: canon Exhilaration of Sight.

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    man, you sound like you are discouraging them instead of encouraging them.
    Photography can still be enjoyable even if we can only rely on everything auto. Not need so exclusive.
    Bobian. That's all I own with the exception of a 50mm f/1.8. I do take the time to explain things though. Having an aperture ring really helps to visualize the concept of the aperture closing down.

  12. #32
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Ya, I got a few MF lens, somehow I collect quite a number of 50mm manual lens for no particular reason, no leica though as it is too expensive for my budget.
    Maybe I bring out one of my favourite takumar or CZ to show him the diff about F-stop and aperture since he has been asking me this topic for so long and he cannot accept the layman term of "F-stop lower = more light, aperture size don't bother first"

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    The last time I tried teaching a friend these things, I actually made him write down notes on paper. Later we discuss it over msn and I searched flickr for sample photos of how things work. I think he got pretty into it and he will probably buy his own camera when he gets a job.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    So he asked me if it is expensive.
    He started complaining photography is so expensive. He ask me how much it cost, He complain about the cost of photography again.
    rarely ask anymore about photography...
    (edit) Your friend is fixated on $. This is his fascination. He is not keen on this hobby. This type of person will calculate everything in terms of $. Your friendship with him will surely be calculated in $ terms. And also want instant gratification. It is a take+take..."I want" "I want" attitude. Drop this type of friend. Tell him how much a Leica Noctilux costs if he thinks his Sony A350 is expensive. Maybe he has found a new photo guru and you are now no longer "useful" to him and therefore he rarely ask (you) anymore about the hobby. (edit)
    Last edited by ricohflex; 17th April 2010 at 07:37 AM.

  15. #35
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Cool Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Your friend is fixated on $. This is his fascination. He is not keen on this hobby. This type of person will calculate everything in terms of $. Your friendship with him will surely be calculated in $ terms. Even his family members will be costed and calculated whether worth spending his time with them. And also want instant gratification. It is a take+take..."I want" "I want" attitude. Drop this type of friend. Useless character. Worthless fool. Tell him how much a Leica Noctilux costs if he thinks his Sony A350 is expensive.
    Nah, he isn't that bad. He just likes to whine a bit and have a bad habit of following the market/ crowd. Anyway how much does a Noctilux cost? I never bother checking something so out of my budget.

  16. #36
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    I got a friend who saw me always going out shooting and decided to try it out as a hobby. So he asked me if it is expensive. Unable to give a good answer, I replied to him that it depends on him much money and time he is able to dedicate to it. But if to polish his photograhpy skill, even a simple PNS can take some good photos. I intended to ask him try out with a manual PNS first.

    Next month he pop up with a Sony A350 or A330 with kit lens, I was like . He ask me what is need to maintain his camera, so I tell him a blower, a microfibre cloth and a dry cabinet. He started complaining photography is so expensive. I was a bit . He then went out shooting on his own. Then he compare and complain why his photo doesn't turn out like mine. So I ask him to point out one of my photo and compare. I explained that I use a faster lens for the DOF with external flash and ommibounce for the shot. He ask me how much it cost, I explained to him that it is quite costly for a fast lens and a external flash cost at least 200+ approximate. He complain about the cost of photography again.

    Next month his entu level drop alot and rarely ask anymore about photography...

    Is it my fault for misleading?
    Some of them are not hardworking or persistent enough to last in this hobby.

    I have frens who went the other way as yours did... he was initially using a prosumer camera and then upgraded after being shown nicer photos from DSLRs...

    From there on, it was upgrade, upgrade..

    and I'm still poisoning him.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  17. #37
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    Nah, he isn't that bad. He just likes to whine a bit and have a bad habit of following the market/ crowd. Anyway how much does a Noctilux cost? I never bother checking something so out of my budget.
    USD$11000 plus minus....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    No wonder more amateurs are turning to flying kite now.

    All you need is a few bamboo sticks and a piece of paper and a lot of wind.
    There is always avenue to spend money.

    For example the best kite flying enthusiasts claim that you must have special imported bamboo sticks only grown on the eastward facing slope of the mythical Jun Bo mountainside, carefully handpicked and trimmed by the Xie Xie panda tribe. Given the great difficulty in obtaining this material and the rarity, the asking price of 1200 per square cm is not altogether unreasonable.

    The paper thankfully is less expensive, at 60 a square cm it's far more reasonable.

    But don't even get me started about the wind.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    There is always avenue to spend money.


    But don't even get me started about the wind.
    Oh, maybe the kite string is a carbon fibre-silk-titanium mix that costs $$$ per metre. Mortgage your house to buy this and first delivery is expected in 2020 because there is a waiting list of casino whales and wall street moghuls who fly kites.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 17th April 2010 at 12:38 PM.

  20. #40
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Ever face this problem with your friend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    There is always avenue to spend money.

    For example the best kite flying enthusiasts claim that you must have special imported bamboo sticks only grown on the eastward facing slope of the mythical Jun Bo mountainside, carefully handpicked and trimmed by the Xie Xie panda tribe. Given the great difficulty in obtaining this material and the rarity, the asking price of 1200 per square cm is not altogether unreasonable.

    The paper thankfully is less expensive, at 60 a square cm it's far more reasonable.

    But don't even get me started about the wind.
    Those are the high-tech kites flown by the children of wealthy landlords and high officials.

    We the children of rice farmers play with kites made from backyard bamboo and rice papers.

    But the kites of the rich children are a beauty to behold. They are made of gold and silver-coated papers shimmering in the sunlight at great height.

    Our poor kites are normally flown at half of their height. Not because of our lack of kite-flying ability. But because of our lack of longer strings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •