Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Developing pic

  1. #1

    Red face Developing pic

    Bros out there,
    Wat kind of picture format u guys normally take?Is it better to convert the Jpeg pics to Tiff for development? I am a newbie in this. Please enlighten mi. Thanks a million

  2. #2

    Default

    When you say "development", I suppose you mean sending to the labs for printing?

    If so, i find that a minimally compressed Jpeg is ok for normal small sized prints (ie cannot see any jpeg artifacts), but for 8R or larger prints, you may find that the Tiff format is slightly better.

  3. #3

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by kng
    When you say "development", I suppose you mean sending to the labs for printing?

    If so, i find that a minimally compressed Jpeg is ok for normal small sized prints (ie cannot see any jpeg artifacts), but for 8R or larger prints, you may find that the Tiff format is slightly better.
    Thanks Kng
    Hehe i mean sending for lab printing lor.

  4. #4

    Default

    TIFF is better than JPEG because of the compression method

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Away From Keyboard
    Posts
    1,176

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by juste_millieu
    TIFF is better than JPEG because of the compression method
    Better as in what sense?
    Assuming all pictures I took
    1) will not be printed,
    2) view only normal 17" monitor,
    3) minor adjustments for colour and sharpness compensations
    4) resizing to be posted to the web

    What is the more advisable size and compressions for maximum use of my 256 Mb XD card?

  6. #6

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo
    Better as in what sense?
    Assuming all pictures I took
    1) will not be printed,
    2) view only normal 17" monitor,
    3) minor adjustments for colour and sharpness compensations
    4) resizing to be posted to the web

    What is the more advisable size and compressions for maximum use of my 256 Mb XD card?
    agreed. i will send my pic in Jpeg format for lab print.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East, Singapore
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    hey guys, sorry but have to shift this thread to ... hmm... General, Reviews, Tech Talk, since it is not exclusive to uw photography.

  8. #8
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juste_millieu
    TIFF is better than JPEG because of the compression method
    This is a common misconception as far as lab printing (up to S8R or even 10R) is concerned. JPG, high quality (PS = 8 or 9 out of 12) is more than sufficient. And you will not be able to discern any artifacts out of it.

    Likewise for number of pixels - a subject which has probably been done to death countless times in this forum. 3Mp is easily enough.

    Generic sizing/pixel count is that a 2Mp (1600x1200) image in JPG is good enough for 4R, even 5R prints. Of course, you should make sure that your photo(s) are reasonably well-taken, no handshake, no artifacts, properly exposed, etc. That makes most of the shots you find in CS galleries good enough.

    As for TIFF formats, you'll only need consider that when you want to send them for inkjet (banners of larger than A3 size) or other large format prints.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Jpegs are sufficient, just save the quality at maximum. It should be sufficient. Tiffs are just unecessarily large for normal printing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •