Thread: Developing pic

Red face Developing pic

Bros out there,
    Wat kind of picture format u guys normally take?Is it better to convert the Jpeg pics to Tiff for development? I am a newbie in this. Please enlighten mi. Thanks a million

When you say "development", I suppose you mean sending to the labs for printing?

If so, i find that a minimally compressed Jpeg is ok for normal small sized prints (ie cannot see any jpeg artifacts), but for 8R or larger prints, you may find that the Tiff format is slightly better.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kng
    When you say "development", I suppose you mean sending to the labs for printing?

If so, i find that a minimally compressed Jpeg is ok for normal small sized prints (ie cannot see any jpeg artifacts), but for 8R or larger prints, you may find that the Tiff format is slightly better.
    Thanks Kng
    Hehe i mean sending for lab printing lor.

TIFF is better than JPEG because of the compression method

Question

Quote Originally Posted by juste_millieu
    Better as in what sense?
    Assuming all pictures I took
    1) will not be printed,
    2) view only normal 17" monitor,
    3) minor adjustments for colour and sharpness compensations
    4) resizing to be posted to the web

What is the more advisable size and compressions for maximum use of my 256 Mb XD card?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo
    Better as in what sense?
    Assuming all pictures I took
    1) will not be printed,
    2) view only normal 17" monitor,
    3) minor adjustments for colour and sharpness compensations
    4) resizing to be posted to the web

What is the more advisable size and compressions for maximum use of my 256 Mb XD card?
    agreed. i will send my pic in Jpeg format for lab print.

hey guys, sorry but have to shift this thread to ... hmm... General, Reviews, Tech Talk, since it is not exclusive to uw photography.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by juste_millieu
    This is a common misconception as far as lab printing (up to S8R or even 10R) is concerned. JPG, high quality (PS = 8 or 9 out of 12) is more than sufficient. And you will not be able to discern any artifacts out of it.

Likewise for number of pixels - a subject which has probably been done to death countless times in this forum. 3Mp is easily enough.

Generic sizing/pixel count is that a 2Mp (1600x1200) image in JPG is good enough for 4R, even 5R prints. Of course, you should make sure that your photo(s) are reasonably well-taken, no handshake, no artifacts, properly exposed, etc. That makes most of the shots you find in CS galleries good enough.

As for TIFF formats, you'll only need consider that when you want to send them for inkjet (banners of larger than A3 size) or other large format prints.

Jpegs are sufficient, just save the quality at maximum. It should be sufficient. Tiffs are just unecessarily large for normal printing.