Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 111

Thread: DSLR Reccomendations

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Thomas More's Vision
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by joycegian View Post
    Do you guys think the White K-X will get "yellow" over a period of time?
    And I was afraid that when it got scratched, it will have a black scratch.
    As in like the White is a coat White, so when scratached, the paint will go off.
    It doesn't matter. Hope you get what I mean.

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by joycegian View Post
    Do you guys think the White K-X will get "yellow" over a period of time?
    And I was afraid that when it got scratched, it will have a black scratch.
    As in like the White is a coat White, so when scratached, the paint will go off.
    All white coloured objects will degrade over time, be it car, Imac or cameras. Buy the colour you like. It doesn't really matter because the colour will definitely last longer than our normal usage. cheers!

  3. #43

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by joycegian View Post
    Do you guys think the White K-X will get "yellow" over a period of time?
    And I was afraid that when it got scratched, it will have a black scratch.
    As in like the White is a coat White, so when scratached, the paint will go off.
    so worried, buy black lor.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Pentax however creates some of the best primes in the world such as the 31,43,77mm ltd which can give the oh so creamy bokeh

  5. #45

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by joycegian View Post
    Do you guys think the White K-X will get "yellow" over a period of time?
    And I was afraid that when it got scratched, it will have a black scratch.
    As in like the White is a coat White, so when scratached, the paint will go off.
    Red much better for girls :


  6. #46

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    Red much better for girls :

    initially wanted to get the Navy blue for myself but settled for a black myself after looking at the navy blue set not very appealing compared to the one shown on the website.

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    I gotta know a gal using Kx on a tour recently. Well she was happy with her red Kx. She was just complaining that the bokeh from her kit is not "ooommph" enough. Her plan to get one more higher app lens is motivating her to bbb. She was nice and jealous of my Tammy 18-270. But told her it depends wat she wanna shoot and get.

    Thus my 2 cents:

    Assuming your decision on Kx is solid, I would think getting the body only with a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 will be good. I am not saying the kit lens is no good.
    Since mentioned that you will not dabble too much into the hobby.
    But still nice pictures matters a lot to you.
    I will suggest the above. It will still be manageable at your budget level.
    With this setup you will be playing with it for a very long time.

    About the colors, I think SG has only white, black, red and blue.
    I saw in Japan the full set of colors. Purple and lime green was truely "wow"
    Anyway I am sure you will like the Kx system with watever setup.

  8. #48

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    If willing to pay more for more well known brand (i.e. more likely to be recognized by people who know little about photography), get Canon (but if you are not going to be that serious, why don't just get the 1000D?)

    If colour (white or red) really makes your day...and budget is tighter..get the Kx.

    For creamy bokeh (background blur), you have no choice but to get an additional lens with at least F2.8 or lower...if you want sharper and cheaper ....get a prime lens e.g 50F1.8. If you need zoom...get 17-50F2.8 Tamron. Anything else will exceed your 1-2k budget.
    A580| A300|18-55|55-200|18-250|50F1.8|30F2.8 Macro|35 F1.8|

  9. #49

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by chanalb View Post
    If willing to pay more for more well known brand (i.e. more likely to be recognized by people who know little about photography), get Canon (but if you are not going to be that serious, why don't just get the 1000D?)

    If colour (white or red) really makes your day...and budget is tighter..get the Kx.

    For creamy bokeh (background blur), you have no choice but to get an additional lens with at least F2.8 or lower...if you want sharper and cheaper ....get a prime lens e.g 50F1.8. If you need zoom...get 17-50F2.8 Tamron. Anything else will exceed your 1-2k budget.
    Actually if ppl don't know about cameras, a striking color will catch their attention
    Why pay more for a much lower spec 1000D?
    If money no issue and brand conscious, get at least a 500D, 550D or A550.

    Here is what to tell ppl if they don't know about Pentax
    http://www.photoxels.com/history_pentax.html

  10. #50

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by begintoend View Post
    I gotta know a gal using Kx on a tour recently. Well she was happy with her red Kx. She was just complaining that the bokeh from her kit is not "ooommph" enough. Her plan to get one more higher app lens is motivating her to bbb. She was nice and jealous of my Tammy 18-270. But told her it depends wat she wanna shoot and get.

    Thus my 2 cents:

    Assuming your decision on Kx is solid, I would think getting the body only with a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 will be good. I am not saying the kit lens is no good.
    Since mentioned that you will not dabble too much into the hobby.
    But still nice pictures matters a lot to you.
    I will suggest the above. It will still be manageable at your budget level.
    With this setup you will be playing with it for a very long time.

    About the colors, I think SG has only white, black, red and blue.
    I saw in Japan the full set of colors. Purple and lime green was truely "wow"
    Anyway I am sure you will like the Kx system with watever setup.
    But I don't think they sell the Body with colour choice rights?
    Only the Standard Kit set is sold with colour choice rights?

    Yes, I was thinking of getting the Standard Kit, and a 50mm f1.8 lens (2nd hand).
    Saw a few of these lens, some very cheap, 100+, some very expensive. don't known what is the difference. LOLS.

  11. #51

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by joycegian View Post
    But I don't think they sell the Body with colour choice rights?
    Only the Standard Kit set is sold with colour choice rights?

    Yes, I was thinking of getting the Standard Kit, and a 50mm f1.8 lens (2nd hand).
    Saw a few of these lens, some very cheap, 100+, some very expensive. don't known what is the difference. LOLS.
    There is no 50/1.8 for Pentax.
    Options are :
    1. FA50/1.4 (~$500 new)
    2. A50/2 (~$80-100 2nd hand in BnS)
    3. A50/1.7 (~$120-$180 2nd hand in BnS)
    4. A50/1.4
    5. A50/1.2 (~$???)
    6. M50/2 (~$70-$80)
    7. M50/1.7 (~$100-$150 2nd hand in BnS)
    8. M50/1.4
    9. K50/1.4

    #1 you buy new
    #2,3,6,7 are easily available in BnS.

  12. #52

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    There is no 50/1.8 for Pentax.
    Options are :
    1. FA50/1.4 (~$500 new)
    2. A50/2 (~$80-100 2nd hand in BnS)
    3. A50/1.7 (~$120-$180 2nd hand in BnS)
    4. A50/1.4
    5. A50/1.2 (~$???)
    6. M50/2 (~$70-$80)
    7. M50/1.7 (~$100-$150 2nd hand in BnS)
    8. M50/1.4
    9. K50/1.4

    #1 you buy new
    #2,3,6,7 are easily available in BnS.
    Sorry, I think what I meant was 50mm/f1.7

    Pardon me, But whats the alphabet meaning infront of all the distance range?
    F, A, M, K... etc?

  13. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by joycegian View Post
    Sorry, I think what I meant was 50mm/f1.7

    Pardon me, But whats the alphabet meaning infront of all the distance range?
    F, A, M, K... etc?
    Google is your best friend: http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

  14. #54

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by kaixiang View Post
    Good Stuff!
    Thanks!

  15. #55

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by joycegian View Post
    Sorry, I think what I meant was 50mm/f1.7

    Pardon me, But whats the alphabet meaning infront of all the distance range?
    F, A, M, K... etc?
    I wanted to type, but too lazy
    Looks like a nice guy help to answer the question already.

    Here is some more poison :
    DA Pancakes lenses that can make the Kx real nice and compact :







    Quote Originally Posted by kaixiang View Post
    Thx man!

  16. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Here is some more poison :
    DA Pancakes lenses that can make the Kx real nice and compact :




    Yours? I have no idea what focal lengths they are, but nice collection!

  17. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshades View Post
    ...
    The reason why people choose canon is because of Ken Watanabe

    ...
    I will choose Olympus because of Miyazaki Aoi then.

    Isn't the E-PL1 pretty too?


    The only "bad" thing is that the smaller sensor may prove hard to get the blur backgrounds that you want. Personally, I like the idea of the K-x, but some of the colours are just..

  18. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    I will choose Olympus because of Miyazaki Aoi then.


    My Nikon is err... Ashton Kutcher

  19. #59

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Its quite obvious that the TS is obviously after one particular thing...shallow DOF photography. Secondary seems to me looks, then price. A bit like me when i started, except i didnt care about looks

    IMO of the options listed, something like a 500D/550D combined with a cheap 50mm f/1.8 is the best way to start. It meets all her objectives, esp the shallow depth of field part, which will be tough on a smaller sensor camera, all at very affordable cost.

    If you spring for a good condition secondhand 500d + 50mm f/1.8 you can easily get everything for less than 1K. If she gets bored, she can sell the lot and lose minimal $$$

    Once she has outgrown the 'shallow DOF no matter what' phase like all of us DSLR owners eventually do, she can use Canon's amazingly diverse range of lenses, keep the same body and go for some killer zooms or primes to take her hobby further.

    IMO if she is anything like me, she will not outgrow the 500D (or better yet, 550D) anytime soon

    Maybe she will even fall in love with shallow DOF and end up getting a 1D + 85mm f/1.2

    P.S not trying to start a brand war...everything i said can easily apply to Nikon too...it just that she mentioned 550D in her first post
    Last edited by blackreplica; 19th April 2010 at 02:05 AM.

  20. #60
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: DSLR Reccomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by kaixiang View Post


    My Nikon is err... Ashton Kutcher
    I thought Nikon is Kimura Takuya?





    Last edited by daredevil123; 19th April 2010 at 02:28 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •