Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to create such dramatic sky movement?

  1. #1

    Default How to create such dramatic sky movement?

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lesbian...th/4425188918/

    Hi guys, i have been using b+w nd110 and have been experimenting it with long exposures shots in the day. However i wonder how the photographer in this link, as well as some of the CSers here shot these kinda shots?

    I reckon the exposure for these shots are 5mins and above? Is it?
    5DMk2

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: How to create such dramatic sky movement?

    depends if its 1 shot 1 kill or psed.

    if 1 shot 1 kill, you need to close down aperture, put NDx or watever ND you can find.

    if for ps, quite simple, just trace out the sky portion, gausian/motion blur.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: How to create such dramatic sky movement?

    Yes. If you actually check one of the photograph's EXIF, the exposure is 601 sec which is about 10 minute, you might have to stack more NDs and use bulb mode. If, I am not wrong there is a remote control to hold the bulb mode.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: How to create such dramatic sky movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    Yes. If you actually check one of the photograph's EXIF, the exposure is 601 sec which is about 10 minute, you might have to stack more NDs and use bulb mode. If, I am not wrong there is a remote control to hold the bulb mode.
    most if not all wired trigger can lock.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: How to create such dramatic sky movement?

    aiyo... singapore hard, the wind is not strong enough for the clouds to move that much.

    if you stand at one spot, and you look at the clouds for 30 minutes, they still at the same spot, where got cloud trails.

    if the clouds are moving very fast, then even 30 seconds is enough for what is seen there.

    i don't ever recall having seen such fast moving clouds in singapore before though, i estimate for that you might need to do close to 8 minute exposure, which will introduce HAPPY HOT PIXEL DAY to your camera. and only if the clouds are moving, if they do.. singapore daytime quite rare..

  6. #6
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: How to create such dramatic sky movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lesbian...th/4425188918/

    Hi guys, i have been using b+w nd110 and have been experimenting it with long exposures shots in the day. However i wonder how the photographer in this link, as well as some of the CSers here shot these kinda shots?

    I reckon the exposure for these shots are 5mins and above? Is it?
    Well u can, if u stack more NDs(in the extreme of all stack ND 110 on top of another 110), and make sure ur batteries are fully charged, with bulb mode, wired locked trigger...etc..
    But in SG like wad bro Night86mare has pointed out.. Clouds movement arent that much.. On a rare day, u might find, but on most days, are far and few...
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to create such dramatic sky movement?

    Something like this?

    Experimenting with star trails under heavy light pollution.


    Done by stacking 100 30-sec exposures between 4-5am. Was trying out star trails and got those cloud trail streaks as a unwelcomed interference as well.

  8. #8

    Default Re: How to create such dramatic sky movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    Something like this?

    Experimenting with star trails under heavy light pollution.


    Done by stacking 100 30-sec exposures between 4-5am. Was trying out star trails and got those cloud trail streaks as a unwelcomed interference as well.
    Even with 50mins exposures it's nowhere close to the effect. Lol...CamInit, can you convert to b/w and post it again?
    5DMk2

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to create such dramatic sky movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post
    Even with 50mins exposures it's nowhere close to the effect. Lol...CamInit, can you convert to b/w and post it again?
    yeah, not surprising since I was experimenting to get the stars. Composition and all the rest not important. Clouds were a major headache. They block the stars and even worse, scatters light. Exposure is probably also off with the clouds.

    Not sure what b/w you wanna get. Using CS4 adjustment here

    Extreme ends: Red -200 and Yellow +300


    Auto


    Maybe can throw in some filter effects to heighten the feel?

    Hmm.. maybe next time I'll consider trying both star trails and cloud trails depending on the sky. I think the period just before daybreak say, 5:30am-6:30am, tends to be rather windy? That could be higher chance of doing decent cloud trails then.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •