Thread: Question on memory cards

Default Question on memory cards

I recently bought a Canon 50D and am looking to buy some extra memory cards for my upcoming holiday. I intend to shoot in RAW with the occasional continuous shooting to capture some wildlife if the opportunity arises.

My question then is:
    1. What speed of CF cards is recommended? I'm trying to balance price and performance, and I don't need UDMA speeds.
    2. What storage capacity per card is recommended? Is it better to have 4*4GB cards as opposed to 2*8GB cards, for example? I understand some people prefer higher quantities of smaller capacity cards so that they don't lose as much if a card gets corrupted, but what are the chances of card corruption occurring?
    3. I have 2 brand new 8GB SDHC cards from PenDrive. Is it more economical to get an adapter to use these two cards or will the compromise in write speeds from shooting RAW make it not worthwhile?

Thanks for reading this and any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Question on memory cards

Quote Originally Posted by alcohollywood View Post
    I recently bought a Canon 50D and am looking to buy some extra memory cards for my upcoming holiday. I intend to shoot in RAW with the occasional continuous shooting to capture some wildlife if the opportunity arises.

My question then is:
    1. What speed of CF cards is recommended?
    2. What storage capacity per card is recommended?

I use 30MB/s cards. Fast enough for me. I prefer one big capacity card than a few smaller capacity ones because I don't like to take cards in and out of the camera.

Using Sandisk Ultra (15MB/s) CF and Kingston SDHC (class 4).
    Both are consider slow cards, but I do not need super fast ones cos I am not shooting in burst mode.
    I have them in either 4GB or 8GB. Basically not using any capacity larger than these, just in case card corruption and lose a tons of pictures. Happened once with my previous Kingston CF , hence switched to Sandisk CF. Kingston SD is fine, no problem with it so far.
    BTW, i am using Canon 1d3, hence i got the luxury of using both CF and SD cards together.

My question then is:
    1. What speed of CF cards is recommended? I'm trying to balance price and performance, and I don't need UDMA speeds.
    2. What storage capacity per card is recommended? Is it better to have 4*4GB cards as opposed to 2*8GB cards, for example? I understand some people prefer higher quantities of smaller capacity cards so that they don't lose as much if a card gets corrupted, but what are the chances of card corruption occurring?
    3. I have 2 brand new 8GB SDHC cards from PenDrive. Is it more economical to get an adapter to use these two cards or will the compromise in write speeds from shooting RAW make it not worthwhile?

Getting an SDHC to CF adapter, I believe you would lose out on some speed. Plus now you have an extra layer for something to go wrong.

Like "neech7", I prefer larger capacity cards too. Less small things to potentially lose and less need to change cards.

Hope you have a great holiday!

Prefer the UDMA 60MB/s Sandisk CF. Reasonable pricing.

Prefer 2 x 8GB. Smaller capacity than that means ur card will fill up soon w/ current DSLRs RAW files 12-20mbs. More cards also mean more chances of dropping & misplacing them.

i take RAW on my D90 and each photo is usually, 10MB+.

at first i used the free SDHC class4 i think about 5mb/s for taking multiple shots. D90 can take up to 4 shots per second, but due to the slow card i can only take 1 shot per second. i later bought a class10 30mb/s and works like a charm. even when only doing single shot, the faster write speed will get your camera ready for the next shot. it also help to view through slides on the lcd.

Given your 50D burst rate and Raw, you should consider UDMA 60mb/s card, 4GB if you have a budget. A gentle reminder that it also helps in downloading speed.

My question then is:

hi bro,
    qn 1) a good 15mb/s card is good. not because of the transfer rate but also Sandisk has good reliability. i have had kingston elite pro's dying on me as well as corrupted compare to sandisk. the 15mb/s also helps in uploading pics to the comp.

qn2) after experiencing a traumatic experience of loosing (yes i lost) a memory card during an event, i've opted to jump to 1X8gb instead of 2X4gb so that i dont have to loose memory cards...

qn3) its safer.. safer to just use a direct CF instead of adaptor. adaptors will get loose and contacts will not be precise in the long run..

just be safe not sorry
    Nikon D7000 : Tamron 17-50VC f2.8, SB-900
    Nikon D90 : Nikon 18-105 VR, SB-600

Hi guys, thanks for all your input. I guess the general sentiment is to bypass any form of adapters and use what the manufacturer recommends.

Which is a good place to purchase genuine and reasonably priced CF cards, then? I've heard of Best Bargain, but are there any comparable alternatives?

check properly. i cant remember which shop in SLS sells it cheap.. but they're parallel import. dont have vector magnetic sticker
    so far i've only tried purchasing during shows as the price is ok
    Nikon D7000 : Tamron 17-50VC f2.8, SB-900
    Nikon D90 : Nikon 18-105 VR, SB-600

I just bought a 16GB class 4 card yesterday for $55 (AP-P), I think 15MB/s?

My D90 can do 4.5 shots per second, and I don't have any problems doing that on my old 4GB card because it caches the images.

I prefer 1 larger card, since you won't want to be changing cards in the middle of a photo shoot such as this weekends event - Formula Drift.
    When you're taking 3+ shots as each car goes buy, you don't want to get stuck in a situation when your card fills up and you miss something important during a mem card change.
    ex-Nikon owner - now only iPhone :/

A 30mb/s card should be good enough.... but a 60mb/s card if you have the buget. For shooting totally in RAW..... nothing less than 8GB..... but 16GB would be better.

Normally.... I just get one BIG card with a small card as backup. Bring a Netbook for storage every night at the Hotel/Room. So, the card need only be 'Big' enough to last one whole day of shooting.

Scuba & Father... For Life