Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Expensive cameras needed for portrait photography?

Default Re: Expensive cameras needed for portrait photography?

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    At the age of 16 many years ago, I already own a Fender Stratocaster, bought with my own money. You know how expensive these stuff are back then and only professional musicians use them.

I was an aspiring guitarists going to rock the world, except the fact that I don't know how to play it. I tried, you know, as I had tried many things in life.

Many, many years later now, I still own that great Stratocaster.

I still don't know how to play it.

Another story;

Once a Rolling Stone magazine editor/writer was interviewing a certain legendary guitarist during a sound check at one of his world tours. He started the conversation like:

"Wow that Les Paul sounds really good ehh."

The guitar hero stopped playing and asked the writer

"How does it sounds now?"

That said, IMHO, buy the best you can afford, lens priority first, then lighting equipment, then bodies.

slash?
    ╬Pachelbel in D .357cal

The below shot was taken by a Canon 450D + Kit lens. To some it may not be the prefect portraiture shot, however for me it's a shot that I am not shy to say that I have taken with an economical setup .

Could I do better it again with a FF and a L prime? Maybe, but I always believe "The equipment is only as good as it's wielder"

Last edited by Anson; 15th April 2010 at 07:15 PM.

i would have thought a good portrait lens is generally more important than the camera body itself. and if portrait photography is the only kind of thing you do, a prime lens is something you could consider.

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
    i would have thought a good portrait lens is generally more important than the camera body itself. and if portrait photography is the only kind of thing you do, a prime lens is something you could consider.
    yes..i love the 50mm f1.8. That's why i want to get a body that could focus it. Manual focusing is not hard but at the same time i don't think can focus and compose the image. Furthermore if manual focus the subject can get irritated and tired...haha...

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    The below shot was taken by a Canon 450D + Kit lens. To some it may not be the prefect portraiture shot, however for me it's a shot that I am not shy to say that I have taken with an economical setup .

Could I do better it again with a FF and a L prime? Maybe, but I always believe "The equipment is only as good as it's wielder"

wow...i'm really impressed. I'm not saying that the entry level camera with the kit is not good. As for me, i need buttons on the outside to change things like white balance, iso etc and most importantly the function of using AF lens which is the lens not having motor inside it. As i'm into portrait photography i really like 50mm f1.8D, 85mm f 1.4D...all does not have motor inside it and there are others with motor but is expensive and i rather change to a better body than my D40 so that i can benefit with the upgraded functions..

Quote Originally Posted by focusHeart View Post
    wow...i'm really impressed. I'm not saying that the entry level camera with the kit is not good. As for me, i need buttons on the outside to change things like white balance, iso etc and most importantly the function of using AF lens which is the lens not having motor inside it. As i'm into portrait photography i really like 50mm f1.8D, 85mm f 1.4D...all does not have motor inside it and there are others with motor but is expensive and i rather change to a better body than my D40 so that i can benefit with the upgraded functions..
    I am not a Nikon user, hence I would reserve my comments on the usability of your body. For me having owned and used several camera, including both Canon xxxD and xD series of camera, I would say I am easily as fast in changing my setting (WB, focusing point, aperture, shutter, etc) on the Crop and the FF.

I have also seen alot of my friends who benefit from manual lens and have taken many fantastic shots. My advise is don't get suck into the BBB virus before you have learn to fully utilized your current equipment. Then again it's your choice if you feel that your current setup is holding you back from attaining your goals, by all means.

I would say I am easily as fast in changing my setting (WB, focusing point, aperture, shutter, etc) on the Crop and the FF.
    Anson: Are you sure you can change settings at the same speed with a XXXd vs a Xd ? The Xd with the pre-customised shortcuts would always be faster IMHO. Not to say xxxD is hard, it's just unbelievable if you can do it at roughly the same speed for all settings. But speed is not of the essence typically, unless you're talking event photography. Then comes the customised setting dial. The xxxd would be a little more fumbly if you were to be changing lighting conditions occasionally.

Focus: But at the end of the day, you need to know what you need if you were to go into this area. The fact that you don't know what you need/want, says that you prolly need to read up a little more. Asking for suggestions would only give you a plethora of answers that may mean nothing to you just because you don't understand what's being said.

Consider this. A FF camera gives you about extra 1 stop DOF vs a crop. One of the reasons why people who are into portraits prefer a FF over Crop. You might consider to start working with what you have. Start shooting for your portfolio to show potential clients, and work towards being more knowledgeable in the area. Then once you know what you need, go ahead and upgrade. An artist may be able to visualise what kind of shot he/she wants, but without the understanding to work with the equipment, what use is there ? Most clients won't know the difference anyway.
    Last edited by KeeFy; 16th April 2010 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    There are many who owns cameras, from low to high level, that is point one.

Many will say equipment not that important, it is the skills and work produced, that is point two.

Real life case:

Few years ago, i am shooting a wedding, along with a videographer. The videographer using a mid entry level set, which he recently bought, and says the same thing, shooting skills and end product tells, okay, as a photographer, i know about that, i agreed.

While shooting, really just starting to shoot, the bride's father came along, with the same set that the videographer had, and smiled.

Thru out the day, lucky not dinner, he kept saying the set was the same, how much, what can be done, he also can do etc etc......

So imagine what goes in the head of the bride, groom, sisters and brothers, including the videographer himself.

Point three, think yourself.
    this is indeed a fact.. the truth is, in this world, you still end up getting judged by what u wear, what car u drive, which district u stay, what camera u use etc.

all i can say is, hold your head up high and believe in yourself.

i see...haha..i think the best i can afford now is the D90.
    then the choice is clear... just get this camera ... i don't think all customers are that shallow... you will just have to bear who those who are shallow...

it's better than spending so much money even before earning the $ back...

wow brother, i am impressed!

i am using kit kens + 500d ..

do u mind to share how u achieve this?

Definitely YES! It's an investment, it's business.
    I've worked with part-timers using very highend gear charging low prices.
    just1book, no kidding!

hahaha...i'm not trying to impress them with an expensive camera la... What i meant was i want to do serious portrait photography since i like taking portraits. Currently i using Nikon D40. I've grown out of it. So currently thinking of either getting D90 or D300. Since i know next to nothing on the business of how portrait photography business works and what are the gears i should have, i asked what's more appropriate for me in the long run. I was wondering if anyone has done serious work with middle range cameras like the D90.
    Remember this,

People will look and see you,

FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING,
    and
    NOT FOR WHAT YOU ARE BUYING
    Last edited by tongki; 16th April 2010 at 01:47 AM.
    EOS 1DMarkIV,
    Xwife : EOS40D, 5D, 5DMarkII, 7D, SonyA900 | seXytoys :EOS 400D, 450D, 500D, SonyA550

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    Anson: Are you sure you can change settings at the same speed with a XXXd vs a Xd ? The Xd with the pre-customised shortcuts would always be faster IMHO. Not to say xxxD is hard, it's just unbelievable if you can do it at roughly the same speed for all settings. But speed is not of the essence typically, unless you're talking event photography. Then comes the customised setting dial. The xxxd would be a little more fumbly if you were to be changing lighting conditions occasionally.
    Yes, I am sure maybe it's my method of shooting portraiture, I mostly shoot in M mode and seldom leave my shots to chances. There is a "My Menu" item in most xxxD, which I have customised to my own personal preference.

For the customised setting dial, I guess it's one of the function that I least used in my cameras (those that have them). Just need to grab the "essence" of your camera to be familiar yourself with it.

In events shooting, I have learn to appreciate the lighter weight a xxxD have to offer after prolong usage.

Of course I am not debating the advantage of FF and crop, else I would have long sold my FF away...

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    wow brother, i am impressed!

i am using kit kens + 500d ..

do u mind to share how u achieve this?
    The EXIF can be found inside the photo.

sometime i wonder how to people out grow their camera? 5-6 years ago, dont tell me photographers can't produce stunning photos using Nikon D1,D100,D70 back then?

JUst a little black box for us to capture lights. I would say lens will paly a more important part compare to camera. Using the right lens to do the right job always.

But again, DSLR are so cheap nowdays, any tom dick can affort one. If you charge for a assignment(also depend how much you charging) , I think it will not "look good" to your client if you are using a entry level camera. I ever cover a wedding with friends & relative of the bride & groom using 5DII,D700,D300,A900 ect. Got one 16 years old kiddo use a D700 with 24-70mmF2.8.

Sad to say, people always judge the book by it cover.

The EXIF can be found inside the photo.

tks alot...

i'm really curious how the photo will appear if you use ff and good lens...

i approach a wedding photographer recently, and he told me that it is ok to use crop body for wedding photo, but kit lens is NOT OK! he said the image quality differs alot....

I am not a Nikon user, hence I would reserve my comments on the usability of your body. For me having owned and used several camera, including both Canon xxxD and xD series of camera, I would say I am easily as fast in changing my setting (WB, focusing point, aperture, shutter, etc) on the Crop and the FF.

I have also seen alot of my friends who benefit from manual lens and have taken many fantastic shots. My advise is don't get suck into the BBB virus before you have learn to fully utilized your current equipment. Then again it's your choice if you feel that your current setup is holding you back from attaining your goals, by all means.
    haha...i dun think i'm sucked into BBB virus as i have this D40 for 2 years maybe. The reason why i want to upgrade is becoz of not being able to use lens without motor and also sick of going to menu and change settings such as white balance etc. Since i want to venture into portrait photography business i might as well get a good decent body...

Quote Originally Posted by satch View Post
    this is indeed a fact.. the truth is, in this world, you still end up getting judged by what u wear, what car u drive, which district u stay, what camera u use etc.

all i can say is, hold your head up high and believe in yourself.
    thanks..so i also need to "upgrade" myself ..haha...

tks alot...

i'm really curious how the photo will appear if you use ff and good lens...

i approach a wedding photographer recently, and he told me that it is ok to use crop body for wedding photo, but kit lens is NOT OK! he said the image quality differs alot....
    I guess you have to engage Bernice and ask her to strive the same pose and use a FF and "good" lens to find out.

For your question, it really have to depend on each photographer style of photography. In 4-5 years ago, most wedding photographer (including myself) were using crop body ( xxD, Dxxx, A7xx, etc ) for wedding. The reason is because back then digital FF (beside Canon) is not available for most brands. For lens, to me it's mainly segment primes, constant F2.8 and variable zoom. Most of the time, Prime give the best IQ, however for AD Wedding dinner shots, most likely you would be stepping down to F4 to F5.6.

haha...i dun think i'm sucked into BBB virus as i have this D40 for 2 years maybe. The reason why i want to upgrade is becoz of not being able to use lens without motor and also sick of going to menu and change settings such as white balance etc. Since i want to venture into portrait photography business i might as well get a good decent body...
    Since you are planning to earn a living out of it, it would be a investment for you. Go for it.
    Last edited by Anson; 16th April 2010 at 08:56 AM.

I guess you have to engage Bernice and ask her to strive the same pose and use a FF and "good" lens to find out.

For your question, it really have to depend on each photographer style of photography. In 4-5 years ago, most wedding photographer (including myself) were using crop body ( xxD, Dxxx, A7xx, etc ) for wedding. The reason is because back then digital FF (beside Canon) is not available for most brands. For lens, to me it's mainly segment primes, constant F2.8 and variable zoom. Most of the time, Prime give the best IQ, however for AD Wedding dinner shots, most likely you would be stepping down to F4 to F5.6.

Since you are planning to earn a living out of it, it would be a investment for you. Go for it.
    Thank you...part time though...haha..

depends on your level of clients and what they want.

if your client is the sort don't want coffee table book, and only want a stack of 4r prints, you can shoot wedding with kit lens.

most of the time in singapore though, people will demand larger prints.. this, along with the fact that the kit lens is relatively slow as lenses go.. can make your job a lot tougher.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast