Thread: Using 10-22 in landscape & protrait...

Default Using 10-22 in landscape & protrait...

Was traveling oversea with my wife. Found it hard to have a good photo composting my wife with the landscape as back ground using 10-22. Dun feel good changing lens often outdoor.

If my wife is too near me, she will look lengthen. If further away, she will look too small. Unable to see her as one of the main subject in landscape...

Need advise on how would you composite 1 ppl with the beautiful landscape?
    Canon.550D|EF-S 18-55mm| EF-S 55-250mm| EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6| EF 50mm 1:1.8|Di866

Default Re: Using 10-22 in landscape & protrait...

use 22mm, and shoot her entire body.

boh pianz.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    use 22mm, and shoot her entire body.

boh pianz.
    + crop out if you need to..

also, i don't get why you don't want to change lens.

that's the benefit of using a dslr, right?

Well, if you insist on using the 10-22mm, then the 22mm will provide the least perspective distortion. Also, don't place the subject at the extreme sides, as the distortion would be at it's most there.

And... don't you still have your kit lens? If you feel that the kit lens can take better photos than the 10-22, then use the kit lens. Use the lens that gives you the best shots

Regards,
    gibss.
    Nikon & Pentax :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gibss View Post
    Well, if you insist on using the 10-22mm, then the 22mm will provide the least perspective distortion. Also, don't place the subject at the extreme sides, as the distortion would be at it's most there.

And... don't you still have your kit lens? If you feel that the kit lens can take better photos than the 10-22, then use the kit lens. Use the lens that gives you the best shots

Regards,
    gibss.
    I use a Tokina 11-16. I have a even shorter focal length than yours at the tight end. These are a couple of portraits I shot of my family with that lens. I thought the pics turned out acceptable. Of course the F2.8 really helped.

You may think my brother-in-law is "lengthened" by the lens. In actual fact, he is very very tall - almost 1.9m. Shot at 16mm.

This is more of landscape shot with people in it. Shot at 11mm.

Portrait of my wife. shot at 16mm.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 15th April 2010 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by furyhawk View Post
    Was traveling oversea with my wife. Found it hard to have a good photo composting my wife with the landscape as back ground using 10-22. Dun feel good changing lens often outdoor.

If my wife is too near me, she will look lengthen. If further away, she will look too small. Unable to see her as one of the main subject in landscape...

Need advise on how would you composite 1 ppl with the beautiful landscape?
    Distortion looms mostly for ultra wides.. Placement of ur wife in the frame is impt.. Understand ur lens and know its limitation, think from 16mm onwards, distortion will start to tone down.. It's all abt getting closer right?

Pic of my wife at 16mm on FX

Pic of my wife at 17mm on FX

I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

By now, u should had understand that UWA lens is seldom used for portraiture unless u know how to control or tame the distortion.. (which many wedding pro photographer do)

If u need a UWA to fill most of the whole picture with ur subject(wife), be prepared for distortion. Or you'll be better off using a standard or tele lens

Like others had mentioned, placement of your subject is very important.
    Also, don't be lazy to just stand at one spot & just zoom in/out.
    Try to shift yourself instead to find the best spot

Quote Originally Posted by horizon_grazer View Post
    By now, u should had understand that UWA lens is seldom used for portraiture unless u know how to control or tame the distortion.. (which many wedding pro photographer do)

If u need a UWA to fill most of the whole picture with ur subject(wife), be prepared for distortion. Or you'll be better off using a standard or tele lens

Like others had mentioned, placement of your subject is very important.
    Also, don't be lazy to just stand at one spot & just zoom in/out.
    Try to shift yourself instead to find the best spot
    although not optimum, distortion can be somewhat corrected via software, though (e.g. DxO, but I think the included software with some cameras have it to)

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
    although not optimum, distortion can be somewhat corrected via software, though (e.g. DxO, but I think the included software with some cameras have it to)
    the more problematic distortion has nothing to do with barrel or pincushion distortion, which is a lens characteristic.

the distortion most people should be talking about here is due to focal length, when you shoot too close for the focal length being used you bloat people's faces, because wider focal lengths tend to emphasize nearer objects. so imagine, if the nose is closer and too close, then it will look way bigger than the face, and the cheeks will be out of proportion, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the more problematic distortion has nothing to do with barrel or pincushion distortion, which is a lens characteristic.

the distortion most people should be talking about here is due to focal length, when you shoot too close for the focal length being used you bloat people's faces, because wider focal lengths tend to emphasize nearer objects. so imagine, if the nose is closer and too close, then it will look way bigger than the face, and the cheeks will be out of proportion, etc.
    The main problem is that my wife will not support my hobby if the photo I took make her fatter...
    Canon.550D|EF-S 18-55mm| EF-S 55-250mm| EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6| EF 50mm 1:1.8|Di866

Quote Originally Posted by furyhawk View Post
    The main problem is that my wife will not support my hobby if the photo I took make her fatter...
    Well, then the only way around it is to learn how to use the 10-22 properly, in a sense that it will create nice photos haha
    Maybe pay a visit to flickr.com and search '10-22' ? You'll find good examples there!
    The position of the camera is very important when it comes to ultra-wideangles :P

Regards,
    gibss.
    Nikon & Pentax :)