Thread: Need help with zoom lens.

Default Need help with zoom lens.

Hi fellow Cser,

Recently tried my friend's zoom and realised that the zoom ring seems to be lose and unable to hold the desired zoom range causing the lens to kinda auto zoom in when the camera is held downwards. Probablly due to the weight, but would like to know if this is normal? Or should it be sent for servicing? It's a pretty new piece.. All replies be it good or bad will be much appreciated, thnks.

Default Re: Need help with zoom lens.

Quote Originally Posted by bangchew86 View Post
    Hi fellow Cser,

Recently tried my friend's zoom and realised that the zoom ring seems to be lose and unable to hold the desired zoom range causing the lens to kinda auto zoom in when the camera is held downwards. Probablly due to the weight, but would like to know if this is normal? Or should it be sent for servicing? It's a pretty new piece.. All replies be it good or bad will be much appreciated, thnks.
    Zoom creep?
    Take the shot!

From what you described, sounds like a zoom creep effect.

I have a friend with a Pentax who has that problem. May try sending it for servicing to have it tighten??? Not sure if that is possible.

Cheers!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Zoom creep is normal. And sometimes it gets worse over time. There are makeshift workaround methods to reduce it. Using tape or something. Mine is stiff at both wide and long ends. Any focal length in between can forget about it staying in place at steep angles. Thankfully, I seldom encounter this scenario.

Oh yes! thanks for the replies.. Had searched online and got the below answer..

Zoom Creep
    Zoom Creep is the effect gravity can have on your zoom lens under certain circumstances. The 18-200 lens tends to slowly zoom in or out under its own weight if pointed straight up, straight down, or at a sharp angle and nothing is touching the zoom ring. Most of the creep occurs between 30mm and 130mm in the zoom range. This is normal and the zoom action canít be tightened to eliminate creep.

For newbies like myself, you may refer to the above which is retrieved from nikon techsupport.

Just wondering, is it really true that it cant be tighten? I believe wear and tear in the future may worsen creep effect. Has anyone experienced bringing it for servicing due to such?

Quote Originally Posted by bangchew86 View Post
    Hi fellow Cser,

I assume you are referring to the Nikon 18-200 which has a known issue of zoom creep. Its pretty normal.

Cheers

Yes, but mine doesn't creep that much that's y i didnt notice.. And my copy is older than my friend's.. She wants to know if it would help to bring it to NSC.. I think i'll call NSC and see if they can give any feasible advice.. If any one has experienced previously pls feel free to post comments, thanks..

I don't think it's worth the cost of getting it "tightened", knowing that eventually this issue will creep (pardon the pun) up again.
    Even if under warranty, you may not have much recourse.
    Probably it's a result of some compromises made in the design of the lens, either to save cost or keep the size minimal.
    Some will experience it worse than others.
    Exploring! :)

As mentioned by TS, pretty new piece and still creep? ur friend is a heavy user? if not, have to send it back liao.
    39, 40.5, 46, 49, 52, 55, 58, 62, 67, 72, 77.

Dear all,

Thanks for all the feedback.. Had called NSC and was advice to bring it down for the techician to check. However, the staff did mention that having it tighten may not be too good for the lens too. If bought down to NSC for repair, it is considered normal fault and servicing will take 7-10 working days. Anyway, my friend decided to stay with it unless it worsens further..