Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 90

Thread: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

  1. #61

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    LoL... Get a dry cabinet better. After trying out the digital controlled one, I would think that the analog controlled version would be the same. Go for the analog version if budget is a constraint.

    Btw, my settings are at 45% RH. Is that correct?

  2. #62
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    Quote Originally Posted by alvin81 View Post
    LoL... Get a dry cabinet better. After trying out the digital controlled one, I would think that the analog controlled version would be the same. Go for the analog version if budget is a constraint.

    Btw, my settings are at 45% RH. Is that correct?
    Yup,45% is ok.Most people will set between 40-45% or 45-50%

  3. #63

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    Quote Originally Posted by alvin81 View Post
    LoL... Get a dry cabinet better. After trying out the digital controlled one, I would think that the analog controlled version would be the same. Go for the analog version if budget is a constraint.

    Btw, my settings are at 45% RH. Is that correct?
    for me i think anything between 45-50 is the best.

    in case of +/- issue or inaccuracy with the meter
    Be Interesting

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    can i check something with the bros here..
    i intend to get a dry cabinet analog one *20+ litre is enough for me*
    can i on the power, adjust to 45%RH, once it reaches there, off the power and shift the cabinet to another place? limited power points at home with very limited space..

  5. #65
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    Quote Originally Posted by takane View Post
    can i check something with the bros here..
    i intend to get a dry cabinet analog one *20+ litre is enough for me*
    can i on the power, adjust to 45%RH, once it reaches there, off the power and shift the cabinet to another place? limited power points at home with very limited space..
    20+ litre is a bit small. Buy slightly bigger to put your DSLR and at least 2 lenses + flash. In case you plan to add more stuff in future like a camcorder, tapes, important CDs/DVDs etc. Most people would buy a 38L model.

    Get a digital model. Easier to set and then leave it.

    Nope, you cannot "ON" the power to get to 45RH and then "OFF" it and shift to another place. Moisture will creep back from outside the cabinet to inside. The cabinet must be left "ON" at all times.

    If you're a student and space is limited, you can consider buying a drybox with a built in hydrometer for $25 at Giant or Carrefour. The hassle part is that you got to throw in silica gel to dry up the moisture. When it turns pink, you have to take the gel out and dry it in the microwave and repeat the process again. The plus point is the box is small and compact just enought for 1 dslr + 1 lens and nothing more.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  6. #66

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    I just bought a dry cabinet. Noted that we have to "on" it for 24 hours.
    But nobody will be at home...will it be dangerous?
    Is it ok to off it in the day then on it when we're back home?

  7. #67

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    Quote Originally Posted by goosy View Post
    I just bought a dry cabinet. Noted that we have to "on" it for 24 hours.
    But nobody will be at home...will it be dangerous?
    Is it ok to off it in the day then on it when we're back home?
    You should leave the power supply on. The dry cabinet should auto-off when the set RH is reached.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    20+ litre is a bit small. Buy slightly bigger to put your DSLR and at least 2 lenses + flash. In case you plan to add more stuff in future like a camcorder, tapes, important CDs/DVDs etc. Most people would buy a 38L model.

    Get a digital model. Easier to set and then leave it.

    Nope, you cannot "ON" the power to get to 45RH and then "OFF" it and shift to another place. Moisture will creep back from outside the cabinet to inside. The cabinet must be left "ON" at all times.

    If you're a student and space is limited, you can consider buying a drybox with a built in hydrometer for $25 at Giant or Carrefour. The hassle part is that you got to throw in silica gel to dry up the moisture. When it turns pink, you have to take the gel out and dry it in the microwave and repeat the process again. The plus point is the box is small and compact just enought for 1 dslr + 1 lens and nothing more.
    I'm using the drybox. Took out the silica gel as it's too much of a hassle
    to keep reheating it up to dehydrate it.. Put in a box-type thirsty hippo and still have space to put in my body + 3 extra lenses including my sal75300 with hood..
    Canon EOS 60D | EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF50mm f/1.8 II | (EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM if only!)

  9. #69

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    Quote Originally Posted by dlhero View Post
    I'm using the drybox. Took out the silica gel as it's too much of a hassle
    to keep reheating it up to dehydrate it.. Put in a box-type thirsty hippo and still have space to put in my body + 3 extra lenses including my sal75300 with hood..
    does the thirsty hippo works well? as in bring down the humidity level in the dry box?

  10. #70
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    Quote Originally Posted by goosy View Post
    I just bought a dry cabinet. Noted that we have to "on" it for 24 hours.
    But nobody will be at home...will it be dangerous?
    Is it ok to off it in the day then on it when we're back home?
    Dry cabinet must be left on 24 hours forever until the cabinet kaput. It is designed for 24 hour operation just like a fridge. If you take your gears out for a holiday, it's commonsense to "OFF" it as you will be away for awhile with nothing in the cabinet.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  11. #71

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    a little note for most noobs to ponder upon.

    your lens inside most of them have a motor in it for focusing. beside the motor there are also some gears. both the motor and gear have some grease on them to allow smooth operation. when your RH is too low the grease can dry up and no longer be able to lubricate the parts.

    rubber parts and glue/tape that are being used inside your lens can also lose their stickiness and come off.

    so if u treasure your gears, a dry cabinet is preferred if u dont use your gears everyday. dry box are ok if u use your gear often as your gear will not be subjected to long period of low RH air. its much harder to control the RH inside dry box IMO.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

  12. #72

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    Thirsty hippo works well
    Canon EOS 60D | EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF50mm f/1.8 II | (EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM if only!)

  13. #73
    Member Alan Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    i've dread in some other dslr forums that in some countries the RH levels are supper low a compared to use, somewhere 30+ or even lower around the year. there dslr practically do not need any dry cabinet and all the talks about gel and stuff drying up dont seems to be an issue as they claim the camera and lens are make with that in mind.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    i've dread in some other dslr forums that in some countries the RH levels are supper low a compared to use, somewhere 30+ or even lower around the year. there dslr practically do not need any dry cabinet and all the talks about gel and stuff drying up dont seems to be an issue as they claim the camera and lens are make with that in mind.
    lol thats cool.
    Canon EOS 60D | EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF50mm f/1.8 II | (EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM if only!)

  15. #75
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    i've dread in some other dslr forums that in some countries the RH levels are supper low a compared to use, somewhere 30+ or even lower around the year. there dslr practically do not need any dry cabinet and all the talks about gel and stuff drying up dont seems to be an issue as they claim the camera and lens are make with that in mind.
    I live in Perth and the air there is quite dry and you never need a dry cabinet. I don't see a problem with lower RH value like 40 or 30%. But it is very difficult to argue with 99% of Singaporeans who say to set your RH at 45% or else the grease will dry up and rubber will crack.

    Please...it is now 2010. Rubber is now made of Neoprene. It will never crack. Grease is now synthetic. It will never dry out. Don't understand why everybody is still regurgitating outdated info as if it was gospel truth.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  16. #76
    Member Alan Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    I live in Perth and the air there is quite dry and you never need a dry cabinet. I don't see a problem with lower RH value like 40 or 30%. But it is very difficult to argue with 99% of Singaporeans who say to set your RH at 45% or else the grease will dry up and rubber will crack.

    Please...it is now 2010. Rubber is now made of Neoprene. It will never crack. Grease is now synthetic. It will never dry out. Don't understand why everybody is still regurgitating outdated info as if it was gospel truth.
    thanks for confirming my read, so i was right

    the myth seems to be not limited to sg only, some ppl in elsewhere also believe the same thing.

  17. #77
    Member voxies09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    my RH drop to 35%, is it ok?
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

  18. #78

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    Quote Originally Posted by voxies09 View Post
    my RH drop to 35%, is it ok?
    not at all.
    Be Interesting

  19. #79
    Member voxies09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    i set to 1 oclock...

    anti cloackwise = increase the RH
    cloackwise = reduce the RH?
    Last edited by voxies09; 3rd May 2010 at 02:22 PM.
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

  20. #80
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

    Quote Originally Posted by voxies09 View Post
    my RH drop to 35%, is it ok?
    Double confirm if your meter is really reading 35%. You can usually do this by buying a hydrometer from Sim Lim Tower for about $15.

    Even a RH 35% is still OK. There's no engineering proof to say otherwise and nothing drastic will happen.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •