Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70

Thread: Instalment plans to get their gears

  1. #21

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Travelling light is impt else it would not bring you far unless you are really fit to climb the moutains.

    If its a pure photography travel, tripod is a must if u wish to achieve stunning results from the dusk.

    For me, tripod & flash does not comes in handy if you are capturing moments on the streets. with the mounted flash and fancyful setup you are having, might even gain unwanted attractions from people.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Quote Originally Posted by hiikaru View Post
    Travelling light is impt else it would not bring you far unless you are really fit to climb the moutains.

    If its a pure photography travel, tripod is a must if u wish to achieve stunning results from the dusk.

    For me, tripod & flash does not comes in handy if you are capturing moments on the streets. with the mounted flash and fancyful setup you are having, might even gain unwanted attractions from people.
    gotta agree with u... so i am considering whether to bring my tripod or flash. i can make do without the flash. however for tripod i still gotta consider the pros n cons to it.

    but defintely im bringing my 17-40 and 7D... if im buying my 70-200, it will go too.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Dont think its a good idea to leverage on future money.

    Fyi, A 70-200mm will make you look like an easy object for crimes

  4. #24

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    i guess so. however, if i am to rent a lens and bring it to vietnam.... and if the lens got stolen.... OMG! isnt that worse?

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Quote Originally Posted by ShiNn View Post
    i guess so. however, if i am to rent a lens and bring it to vietnam.... and if the lens got stolen.... OMG! isnt that worse?
    If a lens gets stolen. You are screwed whether of not it belongs to you.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    More like a money-sense question.

    If its a hobby item, its a bad debt to get into.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    I would pay by installment if it is one of those 0% installment plans.

    I know that many people do not like this because it is not the safe or "right" thing to do. I am a prudent person when it comes to money and I wil still do pay by installment when it is interest free. So the funny thing is that I would encourage TS to pay by installment if he is prudent and not to do so if he is not so prudent.

    There is always a risk that when one loses his job, there would be a problem keeping up with the installment payments. But remember, the money spent is not actually spent, if your are an accountant, you will see that you have actually bought an asset and it is not treated as an expense. This makes sense because you can actually sell off the equipment to pay the cc company, in a crisis. Especally when the second price of lenses does not depreciate that quickly.

    Just my 2 cents.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Personally I'm not a fan of 0% installment plans. They bundle the interest into the price. That's why most shops can give discounts if you pay cash.

  9. #29
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoppable View Post
    I would pay by installment if it is one of those 0% installment plans.

    I know that many people do not like this because it is not the safe or "right" thing to do. I am a prudent person when it comes to money and I wil still do pay by installment when it is interest free. So the funny thing is that I would encourage TS to pay by installment if he is prudent and not to do so if he is not so prudent.

    There is always a risk that when one loses his job, there would be a problem keeping up with the installment payments. But remember, the money spent is not actually spent, if your are an accountant, you will see that you have actually bought an asset and it is not treated as an expense. This makes sense because you can actually sell off the equipment to pay the cc company, in a crisis. Especally when the second price of lenses does not depreciate that quickly.

    Just my 2 cents.
    Life is funny isn't it. Paying by installment to finance our hobby. Unfortunately, I'm no accountant. Fortunately I'm an Engineer and Engineers evaluate the situation in logical steps.

    My logic dictate that it is unwise to spend future earnings to finance your current expenditure even if it is deemed an asset acquisition.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  10. #30
    Senior Member engrmariano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rivervale
    Posts
    3,532

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Quote Originally Posted by kaixiang View Post
    Personally I'm not a fan of 0% installment plans. They bundle the interest into the price. That's why most shops can give discounts if you pay cash.
    cash & credit price are the same if the item is S$2k and above. just like my 70-200 2.8 IS, but not my 100L...

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    cash & credit price are the same if the item is S$2k and above. just like my 70-200 2.8 IS, but not my 100L...
    Goes to show I don't buy S$2k and above stuff often

  12. #32

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Quote Originally Posted by kaixiang View Post
    Personally I'm not a fan of 0% installment plans. They bundle the interest into the price. That's why most shops can give discounts if you pay cash.
    i beg to differ. the prices i asked around the street price is at $1050 cash, incl GST. however, if cathay can give that price with card payment i think they did not factor the price into it.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    cash & credit price are the same if the item is S$2k and above. just like my 70-200 2.8 IS, but not my 100L...
    haha, im just buying a f4 version of the 70-200. without IS. so the budget wont hit 2k.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoppable View Post

    There is always a risk that when one loses his job, there would be a problem keeping up with the installment payments. But remember, the money spent is not actually spent, if your are an accountant, you will see that you have actually bought an asset and it is not treated as an expense. This makes sense because you can actually sell off the equipment to pay the cc company, in a crisis. Especally when the second price of lenses does not depreciate that quickly.

    Just my 2 cents.
    Agreed, very risky, also some other expenses might comes up along the way in life that result in an easy monthly instalment becoming very difficult to keep up. That 'asset' in bookkeeping terms suddenly becomes a 'liability' in real world situation, and when the equipment is sold off, the difference in depreciation becomes the 'loss'. So buy name with debt, or buy later with spare money?

    I am no CPA, but just sharing a cheap point of view.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  15. #35

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Quote Originally Posted by ShiNn View Post
    gotta agree with u... so i am considering whether to bring my tripod or flash. i can make do without the flash. however for tripod i still gotta consider the pros n cons to it.

    but defintely im bringing my 17-40 and 7D... if im buying my 70-200, it will go too.
    If it's a photography trip, bring the tripod. If not, consider a gorillapod? It's smaller and lighter.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Which shops support 0% installment?

  17. #37

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    If it's a photography trip, bring the tripod. If not, consider a gorillapod? It's smaller and lighter.
    i agree is smaller and lighte... its expensive just to buy for 1 trip. sigh. dilenma.. haha

  18. #38

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    I thought paying via installment is advantageous even if you need to pay a lil interest? Can any economist here explain this?

  19. #39

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    I think a tele is useful for street portrait in the sense that you can blur the background if you open up the aperture.

    As for renting the lens, you might as well buy it and then sell it off if you don't like it. I think it will work out to be the same. Don't forget the hassle of collecting and returning the lens.

    The risk of paying it by installment isn't that high, considering the 70-200 is only about $900. And the TS can always sell it off. That's the nice part about buying L lens

  20. #40

    Default Re: Instalment plans to get their gears

    pay in one go for the peace of mind bro!
    www.lightofday.sg
    wedding photography by john leng

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •