Thread: what is a good beginner's DSLR?

Blog Entries

Default what is a good beginner's DSLR?

can someone advise me on a good beginner's DSLR? currently using a sony F707 (2nd-hand). i browsed ard and the DSLRs are waaayyy to expensive 1st hand. so, hope to scount ard for a 2nd-hand one, but need some advise. can a pro pls enlighten me?

i am not a pro but an entry level dslr would be the Nikon D70 or the Canon 300D.

You already got Sony F707, you can save up first and later buy a complete system which may cost you ard $3k ie DSLR, lens, flash etc etc...

You can also check the buy/sell forum, there are seller for 300D if you can find one that suit your budget.

Or you can keep shooting until you find the right time to buy it an DSLR ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    can someone advise me on a good beginner's DSLR? currently using a sony F707 (2nd-hand). i browsed ard and the DSLRs are waaayyy to expensive 1st hand. so, hope to scount ard for a 2nd-hand one, but need some advise. can a pro pls enlighten me?
    Pls remember to save another 100% of the cost of your DSLR body for other accessories. i.e.: Lens, Bag, Memory, Flash, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Pls remember to save another 100% of the cost of your DSLR body for other accessories. i.e.: Lens, Bag, Memory, Flash, etc.
    100%? Well, at the end of the day, you might spend even 200 or 300% more than the money you spend on the body. But the good thing is, you can spread the accessories over time. If you don't have enough cash, then you would only have to curse and swear more often when a need of a certain accessory comes out!

I recommend u choose canon 300D for a good start. next time if you become pro, then u can upgrade further..
    If u are not SLR user before, u may have to spend lot of $$ to invest in DSLR. At least $5K and above

Blog Entries

Default yikess....

Quote Originally Posted by Spyer2
    I recommend u choose canon 300D for a good start. next time if you become pro, then u can upgrade further..
    If u are not SLR user before, u may have to spend lot of $$ to invest in DSLR. At least $5K and above
    wow! thanks for all the advice!

spyer2, i thot of the 300D too. i've used a film SLR b4 switching over to using digicams. roughly know where do all the functions lie. yikess.... but 5k is way over my head. sigh... looks like i've to wait for some kind soul who is upgrading and selling their basic setup, wait for the next computer fair or buy from harvey norman using their hire-purchase....

If you are going in to DSLR I suggest you take a look at the line of lens and see what suits you and what you want before deciding on the body.

try getting a second hand 300D. saw alot of people selling off, so you be able to get it at a lower price. try picking up skills and experience using one or two lenses first. increase your collection of lenses when u have the spare cash. in time to come when you think only a pro DSLR can further improve your photography skills, by all means upgrade the body.

just watch out for all the hidden costs. e.g. bag, tripod, flash, memory, etc...
    Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

Blog Entries

Default 300d

Quote Originally Posted by silver.wolf
    try getting a second hand 300D. saw alot of people selling off, so you be able to get it at a lower price. try picking up skills and experience using one or two lenses first. increase your collection of lenses when u have the spare cash. in time to come when you think only a pro DSLR can further improve your photography skills, by all means upgrade the body.

just watch out for all the hidden costs. e.g. bag, tripod, flash, memory, etc...
    yup, dats one everyone seems to be advising me to. i hope to see someone selling their basic set soon at a manageable price... sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    keep shooting until you find the right time to buy it an DSLR ..

I"m waiting for that right time too...
    actually i got money to upgrade to 300D, but then no more money for lens liao.. that's why I choose to stick to my 602z... save at least a S$3k before i jump into DSLR ship!!!

a lot of people selling 300D for D70. u might want to consider this

how is the dslr gonna change the way u shoot as compared to what u r doing now with the f707? what specifically r u looking for in that dslr?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cash
    how is the dslr gonna change the way u shoot as compared to what u r doing now with the f707? what specifically r u looking for in that dslr?
    mainly for the shutter speed and the ease of changing the settings. my f707 is good for auto shots. but it's a bit leh chey to change settings for things like studio shooting (which i discover to my horror after sun's newbie class with astin), plus the shutter speed is really laggy lor... sigh... my old FM2 (sold dat one) is faster than 707...

mainly for the shutter speed and the ease of changing the settings. my f707 is good for auto shots. but it's a bit leh chey to change settings for things like studio shooting (which i discover to my horror after sun's newbie class with astin), plus the shutter speed is really laggy lor... sigh... my old FM2 (sold dat one) is faster than 707...

u sold ur fm2!? haiz..

Blog Entries

Default dumb hor...

Quote Originally Posted by Cash
    u sold ur fm2!? haiz..
    yeah... dumb of me, hor? but i need to re-finance the purchase of the 707 mah... sian...

Hows your sun studio shots turn out to be?
    Actually the shutter lag and the need to change setting is not that bad for studio shoot. When you do outdoor shoot then its bad.

Blog Entries

Unhappy mostly underexposed...

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Hows your sun studio shots turn out to be?
    Actually the shutter lag and the need to change setting is not that bad for studio shoot. When you do outdoor shoot then its bad.
    sigh... sad to say, the cam's fine, the photog behind it wasn't... most of it needs some serious PSing. and i dun know why... could u PM me ur e-mail so that i can mail u an unprocessed shot so that u can point me in the right direction??

anyway, the shutter speed is a killer. i believe it was foo(?) who was emphaising the point that we shld not let the model pose too long for the shot.