Thread: Confusion of terms

Maxwell
    Guests

Default Confusion of terms

I am a little confused with lenses such as "Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Super APO Zoom Lens". I mean zoom/tele and macro are like opposite characterisitcs of a lens. How is it possible that a single lens be described as both?

macro describes the reproduction ratio of the lens. it often is related to how close the lens can focus as welll as the its focal length...

a zoom lens is a lens that can vary its focal length...eg 24-85 or 17-35... as opposed to 50mm or 85mm

i recon that 85mm would be considered medium telephoto, 200mm being telephoto and 600mm should be super telephoto.

so there can be a lens that has all the terms in one...

Yup it's possible. A telephoto macro lens give you much more working distance from a subject to get the same degree of magnification as compared to a short macro. For example, (pulling numbers out of the air here), to get a 1:1 ratio for a 50mm macro lens, your working distance maybe 10cm. To get the same 1:1 ration for a 200mm macro lens, your working distance would be rough 4 times as much, to 40cm. This is of course, very useful out in the field when you are chasing butterflies.