Thread: Setup suggestion for newbie

Default Setup suggestion for newbie

hi,

This is my first post in clubsnap, great to know that there is such a forum.

i was all the while using compact digital camera until i drop my camera in Japan during Nov 2009. I was looking for a good camera after i came back. After some reading of reviews, i bought my Canon 7D in Dec 2009, it is my first dslr and has been a great 4 months since i bought it.

Now i need some recommendation of my current setup. Currently this is what i have

Canon 7D

Canon 17-55mm F2.8 (mounted most of the time)
    Canon 10-22mm
    Sigma 18-200mm OS

Benro 350ex tripod

All suggestion are welcome.
    Last edited by davidatw; 13th April 2010 at 09:56 AM.

Smile Re: Setup suggestion for newbie

welcome to the club!

Default Re: Setup suggestion for newbie

Quote Originally Posted by davidatw View Post
    hi,

i was all the while using compact digital camera until i drop my camera in Japan during Nov 2009. I was looking for a good camera after i came back. After some reading of reviews, i bought my Canon 7D in Dec 2009, it is my first dslr and has been a great 4 months since i bought it.

Now i need some recommendation of my current setup. Currently this is what i have

Canon 7D

Canon 10-22mm
    Sigma 18-200mm OS

Benro 350ex tripod

Welcome to CS
    Your current set up is good enough. You have almost covered all angles. Although there's an overlapping of the focal length in the 18-200mm against the other two lenses.
    It depends on which area of photography you are more inclined to, you'll use one of them more often than the others. The sigma covers the whole range but might not perform as well as the f2.8, since from what I see, this is your favourite lens
    Take the shot!

hi,

Canon 7D

Canon 10-22mm
    Sigma 18-200mm OS

Benro 350ex tripod

nice setup! Already quite an enviable list

Don't buy blindly based on others' recommendations. The kind of photos you take will determine the kind of lens you should buy.
    Sit down and think hard...
    1) was there any situation in which your current setup failed to deliver the shot you wanted?
    2) What could have been the reason?
    3) Would buying additional gear solve this problem?
    3.1) You sure?
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Welcome to CS
    Your current set up is good enough. You have almost covered all angles. Although there's an overlapping of the focal length in the 18-200mm against the other two lenses.
    It depends on which area of photography you are more inclined to, you'll use one of them more often than the others. The sigma covers the whole range but might not perform as well as the f2.8, since from what I see, this is your favourite lens
    The sigma 18-200 is more for longer focal length, i was considering 70-200, but bought the sigma since it serves the same purpose and it can be use as a all in one lens. IQ is good, but cannot compare with my 17-55mm.
    Last edited by davidatw; 13th April 2010 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    nice setup! Already quite an enviable list

Don't buy blindly based on others' recommendations. The kind of photos you take will determine the kind of lens you should buy.
    Sit down and think hard...
    1) was there any situation in which your current setup failed to deliver the shot you wanted?
    2) What could have been the reason?
    3) Would buying additional gear solve this problem?
    3.1) You sure?
    thanks for your nice guidelines. will keep that in mind.

thanks for the suggestions.

perhaps now i am looking at a flash and filters, i know there is 580ex2,430ex2, di866 and di622. i seldom use flash, so i guess 430ex2 or di622 should do the work. but which is better.

saw other thread someone mentioned optical and ettl wireless, what is the difference? i do not do wireless flash currently, but who knows i may need it one day.

talking about filters, i know Hoya has 2 types of UV filter, UV(O) nad UV(N), what is the difference? which is better?

Deregistered

Welcome to CS

Welcome to CS

If you had to ask what to buy, you don't need to buy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    If you had to ask what to buy, you don't need to buy anything.
    I disagree.

If you have to ask what to buy, you need to buy EVERYTHING!

*pass on BBB virus*

Welcome to CS !

Maybe can start buying some Canon prime lens.
    24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.2, 85mm F1.2 for a start !

do i really need a prime lens, i have the 17-55mm F2.8 which can do wonders, yes prime has better bokeh, but i am not so particular in this, most importantly is the thing which i want to capture must be sharp.

I tried my friend's sigma 30mm F1.4, it is very sharp too, but using the F1.4, the depth of field is very shallow, which is not my liking. However, it seems better if step down F2.0 or F2.8 , hence if need to step down to smaller aperture, i will rather use my 17-55mm F2.8
    Last edited by davidatw; 13th April 2010 at 03:25 PM.

do i really need a prime lens, i have the 17-55mm F2.8 which can do wonders, yes prime has better bokeh, but i am not so particular in this, most importantly is the thing which i want to capture must be sharp.

I tried my friend's sigma 30mm F1.4, it is very sharp too, but using the F1.4, the depth of field is very shallow, which is not my liking. However, it seems better if step down F2.0 or F2.8 , hence if need to step down to smaller aperture, i will rather use my 17-55mm F2.8
    Not need to take the suggestions so seriously. I think they are subtly hinting to you not to get anymore since you didn't indicate that you are lacking in any situations.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Not need to take the suggestions so seriously. I think they are subtly hinting to you not to get anymore since you didn't indicate that you are lacking in any situations.
    i am actually lacking on flash.

from my list, i am hoping my above 3 lens is good enough, unless someone can give me a better combo of lens. But i think after what everyone suggested my current setup is good enough, i am more or less convinced now. Thanks to all the good comments and feedback.

i will now focus on a external flash first.

actually your current setup for a newbie is really very good already.

i am actually lacking on flash.

from my list, i am hoping my above 3 lens is good enough, unless someone can give me a better combo of lens. But i think after what everyone suggested my current setup is good enough, i am more or less convinced now. Thanks to all the good comments and feedback.

i will now focus on a external flash first.
    Don't take it the wrong way, but are you getting the flash just to "complete the setup" or because you faced situations where your photos didn't come up well because you didn't have an external flash?

Many people starting out got a flash simply because they see others using it, but in end have no use for it.

But hey, its your money.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Don't take it the wrong way, but are you getting the flash just to "complete the setup" or because you faced situations where your photos didn't come up well because you didn't have an external flash?

Many people starting out got a flash simply because they see others using it, but in end have no use for it.

But hey, its your money.
    i do encountered shadows on picture when using internal flash as most of my lens at long, especially the 17-55mm, hence need a external flash.

i do encountered shadows on picture when using internal flash as most of my lens at long, especially the 17-55mm, hence need a external flash.
    Look here
    Take the shot!