Thread: Multiple Exposure On LX3 - 1st Trial.

Default Multiple Exposure On LX3 - 1st Trial.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    This is my first time trying on Multiple Exposure shoot on LX3.
    I would like to received c&c regarding the overall look of the photo.
    a: Does it give a 'waoh' factor from the overall?
    b: Is it blur? Personally i felt its not clear, there is something wrong but i cant find it or i don't know how to describe verbally.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I wish to achieve a very solid feel of HDR but then somehow i think its not there. But comparing taking same subject in original mode and in multiple exposure mode ... there is huge difference.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I took this photo at the ... bridge where everyone is also taking photo of either esplanade Or merlion (sorry i dunno whats the bridge name) ... no extreme emotions but multiple exposure meaning i got to press on shutter 3 times differently. In this case i feel that i moved the camera some how.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I think there is still room for improvement, due to the multiple clicking, resulted in a kind of blur image feel. But overall, still some outcome better then normal mode.

*Sorry this is my first post here, do keep me informed if there are any mistakes in my description above. thank you, looking forward to your c&c. thank you.*
    Last edited by ireallydontlikepink; 16th April 2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Edited on 16th April - Resized smaller for message board. thanks.

Default Re: Multiple Exposure On LX3 - 1st Trial.

I think the softness comes from ur low F number used. Anyway, I dun quite understand how dynamic is this as the leaves on the trees are still dark..can't see details...why nt use a tripod? if u did use a tripod, then the exposure time shd be longer to properly expose the leaves...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    I think the softness comes from ur low F number used. Anyway, I dun quite understand how dynamic is this as the leaves on the trees are still dark..can't see details...why nt use a tripod? if u did use a tripod, then the exposure time shd be longer to properly expose the leaves...
    Hi ovaltinemilo, thanks for your feedback.
    I did not notice about the dark leaves at all think i should try to take the photos again with longer exposure time.

Can i check with you so HDR will make the leaves darker??

I took a difference btw multi-exposure shot which the www said its HDR and also normal shots, actually the only difference is more vibrant. ..

thank you. i shall let u know again hows the outcome if i go for night shot.

Sorry, my first time posting photos!! and did not realized its so huge.
    sorry about it.

Ha...u sound very apologetic..dun need leh..there's always rm for mistakes...I oso put my photo in critique for others to point out mistakes...
    anyway, HDR=High Dynamic range...which means u can see proper exposure of dark areas together with very bright areas...thus whole pic ~ grey tone...haha.. multiple exposure is correct...but the purpose is to combine them to form a photo tt both v dark/ v bright areas are properly exposured to get more dynamic range... fundamentally involves underexposed+, properly exposed+, over exposed....these 3 merge together to get bright properly exposed+normal exposed+dark properly exposed... just try again with a tripod to get proper exposure first then use EV to get the other two...foc except it takes u time...
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    This is my first time trying on Multiple Exposure shoot on LX3.
    I would like to received c&c regarding the overall look of the photo.
    a: Does it give a 'waoh' factor from the overall?
    b: Is it blur? Personally i felt its not clear, there is something wrong but i cant find it or i don't know how to describe verbally.
    1a. Would "wow big image!" be counted? hehehe. Joking aside, its a good image but one that people here have seen so many times, so the "whoa" factor isn't really there anymore. And i admit i still shoot around this area just to try out new settings. I'm pretty sure more than a few people would find your take very good though.

1b. I think as far as handheld shots are this one is sharp, imo. And as ovaltinemilo said the apparent softness is from using a wide fstop, try stopping down, f8 probably. It would make you use longer exposures though, which is why you need a tripod. It is an essential in HDR photography.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I wish to achieve a very solid feel of HDR but then somehow i think its not there. But comparing taking same subject in original mode and in multiple exposure mode ... there is huge difference.
    Well that's what you get with manual settings (the difference). IMO your timing to shoot HDR is not very ideal, it looks like its quite late already (maybe around 7-8pm?). try shooting in dawn or dusk and your HDR would be a lot better.

3. - well i think I covered this one with my 2 comments above. tripod! its not so expensive for ones you can use with a compact.

4. I am not sure about the multiple exposure HDR feature of LX3, but i read it is a solid camera and I also dont have that feature in mine. However i still feel HDR is best made in post processing and since the LX3 shoots RAW, use it. That is if you feel like taking control of your image in post process and spend sometime in front of your computer :P

welcome to CS! hope i helped
    this!

Bro kumagelo has pointed out something essential...the timing of the day for the hdr shot... u can reli get to appreciate why u need to do HDR...
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

err... i thought multiple exposure is to expose a single frame multiple times? normally to overlap different scene in a single frame.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Then the proper word to use shd be "Bracketing" ...Hmm, mayb shd check if LX3 is doing Bracketing(EV varied) or Multiple exposure.

ireallydontlikepink, I tink u find out wat your LX3 in tat mode is actually doing...if there's no EV varied for each shot, then probably u r nt doing hdr then...
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 15th April 2010 at 01:37 PM.
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

hmm yeah Denniskee did point it out properly. i jsut assumed the multiple exposures in LX3 was = to bracketing for hdr, along with the context that he was attempting to do an HDR..that is one thing to see also.. maybe it wasnt an "auto HDR mode" at all.
    this!

tripod is very important..

other than using a smaller f-number, i realised that you are also using iso 250, use the lowest iso available in your LX3 (iso 80?), to minimize noise and to get best image quality.

anyway, your photo were taken at about 7:40pm, that's where the sky is getting dark, but still not completely dark yet, there will a time freame of about 10-15 minutes, where the diff in brightness of sky and forground fall within the dynamic range of the camera sensor, where you dun really need HDR at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by ireallydontlikepink View Post
    Hi ovaltinemilo, thanks for your feedback.
    I did not notice about the dark leaves at all think i should try to take the photos again with longer exposure time.

Can i check with you so HDR will make the leaves darker??

I took a difference btw multi-exposure shot which the www said its HDR and also normal shots, actually the only difference is more vibrant. ..

thank you. i shall let u know again hows the outcome if i go for night shot.

Sorry, my first time posting photos!! and did not realized its so huge.
    sorry about it.
    please upload a smaller version of the photo.
    Use your photo-editing software to downsize the image, upload the reduced image to the image-hosting site, edit your first thread to point to the new image URL, and bingo!

Your photo looks really soft/blur. I think due to hand-shake more than large aperture.
    The leaves on the trees have totally no definition whatsoever. Just a big black blob.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    please upload a smaller version of the photo.
    Use your photo-editing software to downsize the image, upload the reduced image to the image-hosting site, edit your first thread to point to the new image URL, and bingo!

Your photo looks really soft/blur. I think due to hand-shake more than large aperture.
    The leaves on the trees have totally no definition whatsoever. Just a big black blob.
    Yeah Bingo!!
    I hope this size is good enough for review and advises.

Ya i think my photo just look weird. Maybe like what you mentioned soft/blur.
    I did use tripod. I bet is hand shake when i press the shutter button.

The leaves ah ... Ok let me figure out how i can improve it. thank you! ^^

Ha...u sound very apologetic..dun need leh..there's always rm for mistakes...I oso put my photo in critique for others to point out mistakes...
    anyway, HDR=High Dynamic range...which means u can see proper exposure of dark areas together with very bright areas...thus whole pic ~ grey tone...haha.. multiple exposure is correct...but the purpose is to combine them to form a photo tt both v dark/ v bright areas are properly exposured to get more dynamic range... fundamentally involves underexposed+, properly exposed+, over exposed....these 3 merge together to get bright properly exposed+normal exposed+dark properly exposed... just try again with a tripod to get proper exposure first then use EV to get the other two...foc except it takes u time...
    No lah not as in apologetic. Just kind of paisay.
    Thanks for your explanation for HDR.
    Yes yes the multi exposure explanation u written is what i did on my LX3.
    can i know whats EV?

Then the proper word to use shd be "Bracketing" ...Hmm, mayb shd check if LX3 is doing Bracketing(EV varied) or Multiple exposure.

ireallydontlikepink, I tink u find out wat your LX3 in tat mode is actually doing...if there's no EV varied for each shot, then probably u r nt doing hdr then...
    The function is call multi exposure ... so its not EV?

Quote Originally Posted by kumagelo View Post
    hmm yeah Denniskee did point it out properly. i jsut assumed the multiple exposures in LX3 was = to bracketing for hdr, along with the context that he was attempting to do an HDR..that is one thing to see also.. maybe it wasnt an "auto HDR mode" at all.
    I thought the multi exposure is HDR i guess thats my mis-understanding ...
    Quote Originally Posted by miaoteh View Post
    tripod is very important..

other than using a smaller f-number, i realised that you are also using iso 250, use the lowest iso available in your LX3 (iso 80?), to minimize noise and to get best image quality.

anyway, your photo were taken at about 7:40pm, that's where the sky is getting dark, but still not completely dark yet, there will a time freame of about 10-15 minutes, where the diff in brightness of sky and forground fall within the dynamic range of the camera sensor, where you dun really need HDR at that time.
    i auto-iso it. .. ok i shall try to set ISO as well.

Thanks all for your helpful reply

Quote Originally Posted by kumagelo View Post
    1a. Would "wow big image!" be counted? hehehe. Joking aside, its a good image but one that people here have seen so many times, so the "whoa" factor isn't really there anymore. And i admit i still shoot around this area just to try out new settings. I'm pretty sure more than a few people would find your take very good though

Oh ya i fully understand you mean here. Yes there are ppls finding it good but i just feel something is not right so decided to put into this thread. And yes i found my answer too

1b. I think as far as handheld shots are this one is sharp, imo. And as ovaltinemilo said the apparent softness is from using a wide fstop, try stopping down, f8 probably. It would make you use longer exposures though, which is why you need a tripod. It is an essential in HDR photography.

...Erm i did use tripod. thats why i am puzzled too. Wide Fstop ... let me figure out in my cam.

Well that's what you get with manual settings (the difference). IMO your timing to shoot HDR is not very ideal, it looks like its quite late already (maybe around 7-8pm?). try shooting in dawn or dusk and your HDR would be a lot better.

OMG! I never thought of timing at all. Thanks for pointing out this point and i understand why there are gatherings for dawn or dusk shots in CS.

3. - well i think I covered this one with my 2 comments above. tripod! its not so expensive for ones you can use with a compact.

Gonna search around for 2nd hand one in CS WTS thread

4. I am not sure about the multiple exposure HDR feature of LX3, but i read it is a solid camera and I also dont have that feature in mine. However i still feel HDR is best made in post processing and since the LX3 shoots RAW, use it. That is if you feel like taking control of your image in post process and spend sometime in front of your computer

I am not that expert to process raw yet. Pretty newbie in photography and photo editing. all my edited photos are using online sw picnik. As i am using netbook, i worried about the processing speed too. .... nevermind! till i get better .. i will proceed with raw images to play with ... ^^

welcome to CS! hope i helped
    Did u notice i replied ur post last ... cause need time to process the information provided. very technical but still thanks ... i hope i next photo will be better ya!! ^^

the smaller version reli looks very much better..but still no HDR...anyway, EV= Exposure Values...when too bright/dark u might need to -/+EV to compensate...EV has to be varied for HDR shot such tt u can see much more details be in the bright or dark region...
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 17th April 2010 at 02:18 AM.
    RGB Metering & Focusing.