Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Alaska

Default Re: Alaska

Oh and for the shore excursions, we went for whale watching at Juneau and a flight see at Ketchikan. We didn't go for the train ride at Skagway cos it seems like a normal ride all the way up the mountains and back again lol.

The food is ok. We chose anytime dining buffet so can eat 24 hrs lol. We're vegetarians so maybe our variety is more limited, but altogether there's quite a lot of food for you to choose. After eating them for 7 days, got a little bit tired though

Cabin size: Quite cramped cos 4 of us in one cabin. We had a window, but I hardly look out, cos most of the time I was outside taking photos lol. Bed is normal, can sleep. 4 of us in a room so the beds are something like bunk type with 2 beds on top of the other 2.

Well, let me see if I can get my hands on the D7K + 70-200mm F2.8 this evening to try - I most probably be getting that instead of the 300mm F4... If I do, will bring my normal range, and also this one, with teleconverter.

Oh which flight seeing did you take in Ketchikan - Misty Fjord? So what did you do in Skagway?

Does anytime dinning works for the other eating places on the ship? I don't think I want buffet, and heard it's usually very crowded.

Ic so you'll be going for the kopitiam session tonight? Keep me updated on the lens you decide to bring. That combi should be good.

For the flight see, yeah I think that's the one. We got to land on some lake high up in the mountains. Nice experience.

Skagway, we didn't do much, just walk around town. Nice quaint little town. We didn't take the train bcos we can't get down halfway...I think there's also a bus/coach that brings you up too.

Anytime dining works only for the buffet and the restaurants. But for the restaurants, you can only enter during dinner. Buffet crowd was still alright bcos we chose our timings and avoided the rush hour, eg 11 plus or 1pm There's also traditional dining..but I don't really prefer the formality.

Looks like independent tour business are now closed for the year, they are only back in Jan/Feb. So will have to do some booking then, if not going with those by the cruise liner.

I don't mind formality - I just don't like to bring something just to dress up!!! Hmm.. reading more on the cruise...

As an update to a thread hibernating for a while, balance of the trip to be paid this week.

Got myself the D7K + 70-200mm + TC-20E III during this period, tested it in Zoo recently. So, there is a new lens in the works to carry in the carry on. Thank goodness I got the Flipside 300 a long while back instead of 200, so I don't really need to buy new bag just to take that extra (huge) lens although it would be nice to be using a Flipside 400AW where there is space for maybe gloves and scarf, but well, too many bags that I have accumulated.

Start to re-look at the shore excursions, and I think it will be Whale watching in Juneau (but not sure which one to go with. While it's great to get a personalised one, but that will go in a rather small boat - that can take max of 6 - which I don't think holds well for the rest of the group; now which operator does on a bigger boat, but not so big - like 100 plus - that I got no standing place to have the ability to take pics of whales in their habitat??? Hmm), and Misty fjord flight in Ketchikan. The rest, I think will be just roam around the area and that's it. Now is to find out which one to go with...

Finally, the most important detail - clothes! Just saw the average temp for Prudhoe Bay, and it's 7 degrees average!!! The weather would feels like Freiburg in Feb! Wonder the actual temp if there is any wind. So, now is to get the clothes detail right - along with the shoes. I am sure there is a thread here on some of the brands to look for somewhere got to dig that out...

In addition to that work trip will see me taking a trip to Chicago next month, so a good time to grab some stuff from the outlets, for this trip and next year's "Chasing the Northern Lights" which I think the gear (clothes) will be of most important.

Anyone been on the rail up to Yukon area (lake emerald) from Skagway?!? Is that a good shore excursion to do?!? The other thing would be the 7.5 hrs for this trip...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    Anyone been on the rail up to Yukon area (lake emerald) from Skagway?!? Is that a good shore excursion to do?!? The other thing would be the 7.5 hrs for this trip...
    Best shore excursion for me when i went last sept.

Good to know.

All set... 10 more days to go!!! I don't know why, but damn, I am getting very excited for this trip... Like I cannot wait for it to start. Hahahaha

Shore excursions are booked - one per port. Whale watching in Juneau (followed by shopping for winter stuff for 2012 - nope, did not make it to Chicago, due to some changes), Flight around Misty Fjord in Ketchikan, and the Yukon Bus & Rail in Skagway.

Did not plan anything for the rest of the land tour portion, other than those that were arranged and included in the cruisetour. I know I have like half a day in Fairbanks, half a day in Denali and half a day in Anchorage which is now left empty. I think I will need those breaks - or in Fairbanks/Anchorage the folks will want to shop!!! ahahaha

10 more days to go...

I saving up to go there but local tour, mostly cruise type. I search and found this website, Alaska Vacations with Alaska Tours | Alaska Cruises and Packages. Is it ok for me to go there and join their tour? Maybe go to Prudhoe Bay if got more than enough $ as they will go on flight (weight limited, I might overweight!) Fairbanks is the furthest which I able to go but just want to see the Arctic sign board further up

Idk whether cruise room will be nice or not. I really want to go inland but I will be going ALONE. (scare lor, haha!)
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Yes, most tour groups here does only cruise or Rockies + cruise. Do you intend to do only inland tour or you prefer a combination?

From that website, i found out a package that bring us till north. But problem is on the weight limit to north as only entitle to 10 to 15 pounds of 1 hand carry. My normal setup abt 5 lbs, plus 1 video cam, ard 8 pounds. About 4 days north, clothing also need. So, in the end, i cant bring tripod there?

Maybe when abt time, i will search for ppl (local or oversea) to chk anyone heading there too. If so, better as more time to take photos.

Ok, check the list, it sounds like you are going with a small group type, and their van is a smaller version, so it would have some weight limit. If you want to go on this, you would need to be in Fairbanks, before and after this short trip up north. So you would most prob leave the rest of your luggage somewhere in Fairbanks, take only enough for that trip, and then when you get back to Fairbanks, collect your stuff. The best way is to book the same hotel before the trip and after the trip, and use their baggage storage to hold the rest of your stuff.

Think about what you intent to do there, and then see what fit into your itinerary for entire trip. When do you intend to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    Ok, check the list, it sounds like you are going with a small group type, and their van is a smaller version, so it would have some weight limit. If you want to go on this, you would need to be in Fairbanks, before and after this short trip up north. So you would most prob leave the rest of your luggage somewhere in Fairbanks, take only enough for that trip, and then when you get back to Fairbanks, collect your stuff. The best way is to book the same hotel before the trip and after the trip, and use their baggage storage to hold the rest of your stuff.

Think about what you intent to do there, and then see what fit into your itinerary for entire trip. When do you intend to go?
    Need to save up first as estimated to be ard 15k mark for all. The trip is under here, it's the best and suits me well.

Alaska Odyssey Tour is a journey to Prudhoe Bay and Barrow from Anchorage

Going ard Jul/Aug 2013 (pai seh) as I think the weather will be just nice for me. Furthermore, I might get a high end PC this yr, so, not enough for the trip (even didn't get, also not enough, haha!) I think I mostly will get a videocam (high tele) rather than a new APS-C DSLT (Sony) with 70-400mm due to weight. Therefore, with me to prudhoe bay, I will be having all my gears and so, my clothes will be limited. Will check with them whether there is an allowance or not. Else I got to look some where else. Btw, local tour group go on cruies, what kind of room you getting? I got those feeling that we getting those from bottom.

Actually I want to go Egypt this year but the riot over there too often. Furthermore, I been to Cali last year, so, it's just nice for me to go Alaska next. Maybe a short one this year, if $ allows.

Sorry, can't tell you what the local tour groups get on the cruise as I was not with any local tour groups (but from what I remember had asked is that it depends on how much you are willing to pay - you can get balcony cabins with them as well).

I basically got a local agency to help in booking the trip I wanted (as well as handling the flights) - I went with a Cruise and Tour from the Cruise company, like most of the others who had done this. I did a 7 day cruise and then 7 day inland tour which goes all the way up to Prudhoe Bay. We did not go Barrow and it was coach drive from fairbanks to prudhoe and then fly, using Alaskan airlines, from deadhorse airport back to anchorage, so there was no weight limit.

Don't have to be paiseh... I actually started thinking and research at least 1 year before my trip, and got it all settled 6 mths before the trip. The reason would be if you want to do the cruise (and getting somewhat cheaper pricing - cruise are usually very cheap way ahead in time, or just before the actual date) and getting onto the inland tour you wanted, especially if you have limitation such as needing to have 3 person sharing.

There is a See Alaska Pass for traveling on the Alaska Marine Highway. Link is here: (Alaska Marine Highway System :: Official Site :: Alaska DOT&PF)

Save up to 25% With the SEE ALASKA Pass
    Valid for travel from May 1, 2012 - September 30, 2012

This one way pass may be used in either direction and is available to walk-on passengers allowing travelers the opportunity to embark /disembark at multiple port stops, while traveling the Inside Passage between Prince Rupert, B.C., and Haines or Skagway in North Lynn Canal.

The See Alaska Pass offers passengers the chance to make up to three stops, and explore the communities of Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Sitka, Juneau or Haines for the ticket price of $160, a savings of up to 25%. The See Alaska Pass is only valid for travel to these communities.

The See Alaska Pass discount applies to full price adult and children's passenger fares only. Travelers utilizing the See Alaska Pass can stop and stay in Inside Passage communities along the way, catching another vessel en route to their final destinations of Prince Rupert, Haines or Skagway.

The See Alaska Pass can be utilized anytime between May 1st and September 30th allowing travelers to set their own pace. Travel must be paid for in advance and the pass is non-refundable after travel is initiated.

The See Alaska Pass can be purchased at any time. The pass will then be applied to your itinerary when travel reservations are confirmed. Passenger cabins or vehicle space maybe added to a See Alaska Pass itinerary at regular retail prices. Any changes to itineraries containing cabins or vehicles are subject to normal change or cancellation fees.

For more details please review the See Alaska Pass rules and conditions (link below):

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/doc/...rnal_rules.pdf

Think got to put this trip on hold till save enough for it. Furthermore, polar bears are hard to come by n so, i might miss it. Maybe going to egypt next year. If possible, just go hk this yr for makan n some photos taking.

You want polar bears, go Svalbard Islands instead - definitely polar bears galore.

Yes, it takes a lot of savings to do Alaska, but it's worth the trip! But I hated the flight back - had to go through 4 flights just to get home!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc
    You want polar bears, go Svalbard Islands instead - definitely polar bears galore.

Yes, it takes a lot of savings to do Alaska, but it's worth the trip! But I hated the flight back - had to go through 4 flights just to get home!!!
    So i must save a lot liao. Go egypt see mummy n pyramid. If enough leave and vit m go jap ard cny, egypt ard sep. Heh heh! Alsaka one more yr later...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456