Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to take nice concert photo with a point & shoot camera?

Default Re: how to take nice concert photo with a point & shoot camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Jollin View Post
    I suggest u stop disclosing all ur info on how to bring a dslr into a concert hall. Coz seem like you are informing the organizer/official photographer how pple bring in their dslr.
    They organisers and security know, its just a matter of whether they bother to enforce it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    They organisers and security know, its just a matter of whether they bother to enforce it or not.
    Few thousands people...they probably won't bother till they saw you holding a DSLR in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by guanlim View Post
    Think I'll bring a 70-200 f2.8 for the next concert.
    Power!~
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by guanlim View Post
    The recent 2 concerts I have attended at Singapore Indoor Stadium saw no intervention from the security regarding photography. Hence I was able to happily shoot away on my 50D with batt grip, standing up, and without resorting to my less than polish "Shoot & Hide" technique.

Wonder why the change in attitude?

Anyhoo, couple of Sammi Cheng concert shots (2 April 2010) to share:

1)

2)
    Bro, can share wat lens did you take these photos with?
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

nice sammi photos

Wah... looks like I have to sneak my cam to the Pitbull concert. Any idea how security is like at Fort Canning?

Hi Bro Guan Lim, I stalked ur photos on Flickr coz I'm at work yet I'm rather curious wat lens u used...wahaha...anyway, thanks for attaching the Exif info.. f/5.6 with such gd quality... cool~
    inspiring! Timed ur snap to the lighting very efficiently...
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 13th April 2010 at 03:14 PM.
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

eh how come the off topic le, i'm talking bout how to take nice pic in concert, i guess how we smuggle in and all that keep to ourselves la

Yesh...smuggling & stuffs...we do it in PM k...dun let the officials know the tricks...
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Here are some tips which may help if you're using a point&shoot at a concert. You can mix/match them to your taste:
    -turn off your flash (especially if you're not close to the stage/subject). Flash will just brighten the audience in front of you and darken the stage because your shutter speed will be too fast to let the stage lights light your shot). If you have a speedlight, you can disregard this.
    -set your focus to infinity (if possible; consult your camera manual). Dark stage with moving figures makes it harder for the camera to grab focus.
    -switch metering mode to spot/center weighted (if you're zoomed out, matrix metering will see the big dark stage and decrease your shutter speed to compensate, but you can use matrix metering if you're zoomed in). depends on the stage lighting though.
    -add some negative exposure compensation (you can dial in something like -1EV and still have decently lit subjects)
    -increase ISO, but don't max it out (do this last IMHO, when you've done all the above and still can't get acceptable shutter speeds)

Basically, you should try to get shutter speeds that can still be handheld without too much shake (1/10 or faster). You'll have to meter on a spot you want properly exposed (like a face or well-lit section of the stage) then recompose the shot to fix your composition. Don't chimp after a shot, pay attention to the stage because something even more interesting might be happening after you took the last shot. The more shots you take, the more chances you'll get one that's acceptably focused/lit.

I got these with a Canon E1, not the best P&S:

good luck & have fun

Nice shot bro! Do u recall the iso and the f number used to take those shots? Cos I'm thinking of bringing my s90 to the concert. Do u think can take pics as clear as those?

Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    Nice shot bro! Do u recall the iso and the f number used to take those shots? Cos I'm thinking of bringing my s90 to the concert. Do u think can take pics as clear as those?
    ISO 800, -1EV, usually f3.5-5.6 for the aperture (The E1 has no S/A/M modes, only automatic/P/scene). Full res image is quite noisy but can be cleaned up if needed.

You can click those images to get the flickr pages with EXIF & full-res images (4mp only).

Quote Originally Posted by ericbaquiran View Post
    Here are some tips which may help if you're using a point&shoot at a concert. You can mix/match them to your taste:
    -turn off your flash (especially if you're not close to the stage/subject). Flash will just brighten the audience in front of you and darken the stage because your shutter speed will be too fast to let the stage lights light your shot). If you have a speedlight, you can disregard this.
    -set your focus to infinity (if possible; consult your camera manual). Dark stage with moving figures makes it harder for the camera to grab focus.
    -switch metering mode to spot/center weighted (if you're zoomed out, matrix metering will see the big dark stage and decrease your shutter speed to compensate, but you can use matrix metering if you're zoomed in). depends on the stage lighting though.
    -add some negative exposure compensation (you can dial in something like -1EV and still have decently lit subjects)
    -increase ISO, but don't max it out (do this last IMHO, when you've done all the above and still can't get acceptable shutter speeds)

Basically, you should try to get shutter speeds that can still be handheld without too much shake (1/10 or faster). You'll have to meter on a spot you want properly exposed (like a face or well-lit section of the stage) then recompose the shot to fix your composition. Don't chimp after a shot, pay attention to the stage because something even more interesting might be happening after you took the last shot. The more shots you take, the more chances you'll get one that's acceptably focused/lit.

I got these with a Canon E1, not the best P&S:

good luck & have fun
    wow to me the point & shoot photos can take until like this is perfect le

No flash, ISO enough for decent shutter will do, center metering on the spot I want to be properly exposed and recompose the frame.
    Tat's the flow i use for my T100 in program mode. Given an 3 years old compact can do it, no reason for current cam
    Minolta 7D Noob
    WWW.TERRYCHUA.COM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12