Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

  1. #1
    Member harnamsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Singapore / Melbourne
    Posts
    724

    Default Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    Greetings to all,

    I'm posting this question to ask for advice: Usually carrying your gear in a shoulder bag is preferred cos when shooting we can easily access our gear or change lens. But what if you're travelling or going hiking? Carrying a heavy load on one shoulder will strain your whole body. A camera backpack on the other hand distributes the load evenly, but it also makes it harder to change lens or retrieve/keep external flashes.

    Hence I'm asking if anyone has any advice for this? I'm only aware of two bags currently, Think Tank Urban Disguide 60 and Crumpler Brazillion Home, that are shoulder bags which include a harness for carrying as a backpack. But both are very expensive and the Crumpler is pretty heavy too without any loading.
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

  2. #2

    Default Re: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    Hi,

    I once looked at brazillion dollar too, but it was very big and heavy.

    If you have time, maybe check out the following:
    1. Kata 3in1 - backpack, left sling, right sling
    2. ThinkTank has a backpack that allows the camera section to be rotated in your waste for easy access.

    Good luck and let us know your pick!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hangar
    Posts
    143

    Default Re: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    My pick will be ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60 (although this bag is rather large in size). The harness certainly does make the load seem lighter. You have to try to believe it.

  4. #4
    Member harnamsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Singapore / Melbourne
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    Thanks for the suggestion richardb, but unfortunately both bags have internal compartments smaller than 15" which is the length of my tripods. I have more than one and would prefer to carry them inside than outside cos:
    1) personally I find it easier to walk through crowds that way
    2) when travelling overseas at least its not so obvious that you're carrying expensive camera equipment (i.e. draw less attention from potential thieves and snatch-thefts)

    As for Urban Disguise 60, I'm seriously considering it although I've not tried to load with my current gear yet. Can I ask MachIII, how many kilos of equipment have you carried it in before? Also is the shoulder pad comfortable enough for carrying, for example, for half a day while walking about?
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

  5. #5
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    billingham!

    if u have the budget.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Teck Whye
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    Hi,
    Take a look at this video - link below. Seems to be a good bag.
    I'm thinking of changing my crumpler to this one.
    Regards,
    SHLEW

    http://products.lowepro.com/product/...AW,2171,14.htm

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Teck Whye
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    Hi,
    Check out prices at Cathay & TK.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    As for Urban Disguise 60, I'm seriously considering it although I've not tried to load with my current gear yet. Can I ask MachIII, how many kilos of equipment have you carried it in before? Also is the shoulder pad comfortable enough for carrying, for example, for half a day while walking about?
    My urban disguise 50 with harness can load up to 7KG of weight (with laptop) and its still quite comfortable to get ard Shoulder pad is definitely one of the best i have seen to date.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  9. #9

    Default Re: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    buy

    two

    bags

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Woodlands, Singapore
    Posts
    1,289

    Default Re: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    U may wanna check out domke bags...especially the F2s....nice and rugged type....domke also carries backpack straps which u can buy to convert it to backpack....hope this helps...
    KANTAimages
    "through the lens where every memories is crafted"

  11. #11
    Member harnamsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Singapore / Melbourne
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    So to summarise:
    1) Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 (50 too small for my gear)

    2) Domke F2

    Another bag would be Lowepro Magnum series. I only just found out that it can be attached to a Lowepro harness and carried like a backpack. Has anyone used it though?

    Or if the Lowepro harness is not that good, can the Magnum be mounted to a Think Tank harness or another third-party harness?
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hangar
    Posts
    143

    Default Re: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion richardb, but unfortunately both bags have internal compartments smaller than 15" which is the length of my tripods. I have more than one and would prefer to carry them inside than outside cos:
    1) personally I find it easier to walk through crowds that way
    2) when travelling overseas at least its not so obvious that you're carrying expensive camera equipment (i.e. draw less attention from potential thieves and snatch-thefts)

    As for Urban Disguise 60, I'm seriously considering it although I've not tried to load with my current gear yet. Can I ask MachIII, how many kilos of equipment have you carried it in before? Also is the shoulder pad comfortable enough for carrying, for example, for half a day while walking about?
    Hi,

    I have a UD50 instead of UD60.

    I will usually use this bag in my business overseas trip. Here are the items that are housed in this bag.

    1) 14" Notebook
    2) 5DMKII (grip removed but store in the same bag)
    3) EF 24-70 f2.8L
    4) 580MKII
    5) Markins Q3T
    6) 10 Rechargeable batteries and Charger
    7) Notebook power cables

    This combination is a heavy load in my UD50. Carrying as shoulder mode feels good (temporary of cause) [removing the notebook and deposit in hotel, eases quite a fair bit of load]. But after 30 mins on the run, i cannot take the strain anymore and deploy the harness. Man, this make a difference. Well, this is me and may not apply to others.

    If i have spare room in my luggage, i will bag in my Speed Freak. This is very handy bag when i decided to go out to take some shots. Accessing various compartments is a breeze. Not to mention that your hips and shoulders share the load well.

    To quote trekking example:

    In my recent trip to Mount KK, i brought my Speed Freak (instead of UD50 is because of its carry ability) with the following items up to Laban Rata and the Low Peak.

    1) 5DMKII with grip and RRS L plate
    2) 580MKII
    3) PnS camera
    4) 10 rechargeable batteries and charger
    5) Camera battery charger
    6) CP and UV filters

    Man, this is hell training for me. Going up to Laban Rata with Speed Freak and my Deuter bag with my belongings seems forever. The Deuter backpack on the top and bottom is the Speed Feak. Trekking for the 1st 4 KM is still fine but the last 1KM++ to the lodge is rather difficult (vertical climb).

    As the last climb to the Low Peak, i have never push myself so hard before. Persevere all the way and i eventually reached the peak.

    Ultimately, trekking bag depends on the situation and terrain that you will be going.

    My recommendation is to get something that holds just the right stuffs, the minimum amount of gears that you will use. This will not be taxing to your body. In the long run, you will stand to benefit.
    Last edited by MachIII; 13th April 2010 at 10:47 PM.

  13. #13
    Member harnamsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Singapore / Melbourne
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    Thanks for the sharing the experience MachIII. Unfortunately for me backpack + Speed Freak is too expensive for me. So guess I'll stick with a shoulder bag like the Urban Disguise 60 or Magnum AW which can be carried like a shoulder bag or be attached to a body harness for trekking.

    Are all harnesses the same btw? Or is there a difference in quality and/or weight distribution? I'm seriously looking at buying the Urban Disguise 60 or Magnum AW and both use Think Tank and Lowepro harnesses respectively. Wondering if there's any difference?
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hangar
    Posts
    143

    Default Re: Suggestions for shoulder Camera Bag that can be converted to backpack for hiking?

    Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    Thanks for the sharing the experience MachIII. Unfortunately for me backpack + Speed Freak is too expensive for me. So guess I'll stick with a shoulder bag like the Urban Disguise 60 or Magnum AW which can be carried like a shoulder bag or be attached to a body harness for trekking.

    Are all harnesses the same btw? Or is there a difference in quality and/or weight distribution? I'm seriously looking at buying the Urban Disguise 60 or Magnum AW and both use Think Tank and Lowepro harnesses respectively. Wondering if there's any difference?
    Hi,

    I am not sure about other harnesses. Quality wise, ThinkTank without a doubt (i have a fair share of Lowepro products in my arsenal).

    My suggestion is to visit the friendly TK Photo and test both systems. They have both Lowepro and ThinkTank products. You may like to bring your gears along too, to make accurate judgement.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •