Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to remove a stucked UV filter on lens?

Default Re: How to remove a stucked UV filter on lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil3d View Post
    why not just dip it in hot water ?? make sure dont touch lens though
    water might condense inside the lens or the steam might seep inside.

Wished I had heard of a filter ranch earlier. I used a regular red plumber's pipe ranch and scraped some black paint of my filter. But it works!

Quote Originally Posted by jed091270 View Post
    Hi guys. I need your advice on how to remove a stuck UV filter on my lens. I tried several method but none of them works. Any advice would be highly appreciated.
    This happened to me before. The key to removing a filter from is to have even and firm pressure around the filter while twisting it open. Trying to force remove the filter with fingers at a only few pressure points around the filter may actually end up distorting the filter shape and making it more difficult to remove.

I found the following suggestions to get a good grip on the filter:
    a. Using filter wrench
    - Unfortunately difficult to find in Singapore

b. Pressing the lens+filter face down against a rubber mat/sole of shoe and twist
    - Didn't have rubber mat, and using (wrong) sport shoe sole ended up smudging the filter which luckily I was able to clean

c. Using wide rubber band
    - Didn't have any

d. Wrapping my thumb and index finger around the filter
    - Had my finger cut as I tried to twist the filter so hard

e. Bottle/jar opener
    - Didn't have time to get it from a store

f. Electrical cable - this is how I got the filter removed.
    - I thought using an electrical appliance power cable might be a bit risky in case the cable got cut in the process. So I used the data/power cable of my external HDD
    - I wrapped the cable around the filter, and made sure it tightly covered the filter rim (staying clear of the lens rim).

- I held the base of the lens firmly in one hand and then twisted the cable on the filter counter-clockwise with the other hand

- I found this to be a nifty solution which hopefully works for everyone. Most people should have an external HDD cable, and perhaps it's even more handy than a fixed size filter wrench because in a way it serves as a flexible size one.

There are also suggestions on putting the lens+filter in a fridge, or putting it around a bag of ice (not directly engulfed in ice) before trying to remove the filter. So that the inner filter rim contracts which hopefully make it easier to twist. I didn't have to do this when I got my filter unstucked.

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by lkkang View Post
    I have similar experience and will advice you a method that is sure to work.

This method is by heat and expansion of metal approach.

you can use a soldering iron to heat up the UV ring metal. Leaving the lens un-heated. Once the heated ring is very very hot already ( so hot that you cannot use hand to hold on to it ), you then use a piece of cloth to twist the rings apart. Be sure that you heat up the ring evenly.

sure to work. good luck

Billy
    Err..., if you heat up the filter ring wouldn't it expand further within the filter mount? Your logic is full of fail.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Err..., if you heat up the filter ring wouldn't it expand further within the filter mount? Your logic is full of fail.
    thanks for the correction... I think you are right... sorry.

I think my situation was that I have 2 filters stuck together, not the filter stuck to lens. so sorry. for a 2 filter stuck together situation, you can use a soldering iron to remove it.

my apologies,
    Billy.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Is it possible to heat up the ring on your lens ?

Quote Originally Posted by lkkang View Post
    Is it possible to heat up the ring on your lens ?
    I really don't think that it is advisable as the filter mount and front lens element expands at a different rate, you might end up cracking the lens element in the worst case scenario.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 12th April 2010 at 08:28 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Blog Entries

Ok, that's it. I'm going to get several sets of filter wrenches when I go to china next week.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Ok, that's it. I'm going to get several sets of filter wrenches when I go to china next week.
    While having filter wrenches is ideal, perhaps can try using an HDD cable first. In my case it got the job done relatively quickly and cost nothing, with the filter removed and the cable was not damaged at all.

I really dont know where to get a filter wrench. Any idea where I can get one?
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by toroluce View Post
    f. Electrical cable - this is how I got the filter removed.
    - I thought using an electrical appliance power cable might be a bit risky in case the cable got cut in the process. So I used the data/power cable of my external HDD
    - I wrapped the cable around the filter, and made sure it tightly covered the filter rim (staying clear of the lens rim).

- I held the base of the lens firmly in one hand and then twisted the cable on the filter counter-clockwise with the other hand

- I found this to be a nifty solution which hopefully works for everyone. Most people should have an external HDD cable, and perhaps it's even more handy than a fixed size filter wrench because in a way it serves as a flexible size one.
    Pure genius! I had wanted to recommend using a jar lid opener which had worked numerous times for me but your idea is simply superior! Thanks for a great tip.
    Stop Shopp'in Start Shoot'in
    What's in my Flickr?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboopictures View Post
    Wished I had heard of a filter ranch earlier. I used a regular red plumber's pipe ranch and scraped some black paint of my filter. But it works!
    Put a thick rubber band around the filter before applying the pipe wrench an you won't scratch the filter plus it gives extra grip to the wrench.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Mass order?

Quote Originally Posted by swishbrade View Post
    Pure genius! I had wanted to recommend using a jar lid opener which had worked numerous times for me but your idea is simply superior! Thanks for a great tip.
    Thanks Glad to share

additional advise when removing a stuck filter.

Extend the lens to it's longest zoom setting then hold at the base of the filter ring.
    Holding at the main lens body will result in torsion applied to the internal support of the lens.
    For modern lenses, the front barrel and the lens base is usually supported only by plastic bushing
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

buy a pair of those rubber gloves used for washing dishes with enhanced gripped surface.

time for some gym sessions.

use the thick black saf rubberband

I tried that one already including the rubber mat, It's still stucked. Does anyone one here knows of any shop selling the filter wrench?
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

You can use this bottle cap opener to remove the filter; protect filter with scotch tape first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast