Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD - VOB ... that many?

Default DVD - VOB ... that many?

I'm trying to copy the files from a DVD into my PlayOhHD player. I was surprised to find this DVD has over 50GB of files in it. How is that possible? :O Anyway, I realise there are many copies of similar sized VOB files. It ranges from VTS_01_1.VOB to VTS_01_5.VOB. Then that repeats til VTS_19_5.VOB. Is there something I don't know? Which files should I copy? I usually copy all files from DVD and they are only about 6GB. This DVD (Bolt) is driving me nuts. I don't wanna copy that 50GB+ files.

Default Re: DVD - VOB ... that many?

I am guessing that it is the Digital Rights Management (DRM) providing falsified information on the file structure if the DVD is legit.

Either way you can not just copy and paste nor create a direct optical disk image by ripping the DVD without first decoding the content protection encryption as the files will simply be corrupted.

The maximum file size limit for the .VOB format on a DVD is 1 GB thus you have several of them to completely contain the entire length of the video IIRC.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 11th April 2010 at 12:31 AM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    I am guessing that it is the Digital Rights Management (DRM) providing falsified information on the file structure if the DVD is legit.

Either way you can not just copy and paste nor create a direct optical disk image by ripping the DVD without first decoding the content protection encryption as the files will simply be corrupted.

The maximum file size limit for the .VOB format on a DVD is 1 GB thus you have several of them to completely contain the entire length of the video IIRC.
    Oh yeah. I guess so. I'm using AnyDVD. As long as I copy all the 50GB+ of files, it still works fine. Disney DVDs are quite a pain in the ass with their super DRM thingie. Hehehe. I'm just copying my own original DVDs for my boy to watch in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by ndroo View Post
    Oh yeah. I guess so. I'm using AnyDVD. As long as I copy all the 50GB+ of files, it still works fine. Disney DVDs are quite a pain in the ass with their super DRM thingie. Hehehe. I'm just copying my own original DVDs for my boy to watch in the living room.
    I'm trying to copy the files from a DVD into my PlayOhHD player. I was surprised to find this DVD has over 50GB of files in it. How is that possible? :O Anyway, I realise there are many copies of similar sized VOB files. It ranges from VTS_01_1.VOB to VTS_01_5.VOB. Then that repeats til VTS_19_5.VOB. Is there something I don't know? Which files should I copy? I usually copy all files from DVD and they are only about 6GB. This DVD (Bolt) is driving me nuts. I don't wanna copy that 50GB+ files.
    There are many ways to copy or "rip" from a legit DVD. Google and you will find tons of answers to that question. If you already own a copy, why bother with transferring to another device.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    There are many ways to copy or "rip" from a legit DVD. Google and you will find tons of answers to that question. If you already own a copy, why bother with transferring to another device.
    yes alot but some of them sucks. you can see color distortion after ripping.

some are rather expensive, like you need to pay the subscription every 2 years.

i am also looking for a cheap good one. one that can also remove those extra and preview.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    yes alot but some of them sucks. you can see color distortion after ripping.

some are rather expensive, like you need to pay the subscription every 2 years.

i am also looking for a cheap good one. one that can also remove those extra and preview.
    I can't agree or disagree with you on the quality of your rip as I don't subscribe to that practise.

Blah blah...if you you are looking for a good cheap one ClubSNAP is not a forum for you.

I am a Hobby Photographer and a Systems Designer and I hate people who resort to stealing other's copyrighted works in the name of making a backup copy, want to play on PC etc.

If you want a backup copy then go out and buy a second copy.
    If you cannot afford then don't buy. Nobody force you to buy that disc.

I can't agree or disagree with you on the quality of your rip as I don't subscribe to that practise.

Blah blah...if you you are looking for a good cheap one ClubSNAP is not a forum for you.

I am a Hobby Photographer and a Systems Designer and I hate people who resort to stealing other's copyrighted works in the name of making a backup copy, want to play on PC etc.

If you want a backup copy then go out and buy a second copy.
    If you cannot afford then don't buy. Nobody force you to buy that disc.
    Ermm ... I also don't support piracy. The reason why I'm doing it is because I wanna put all my DVDs into the PlayOnHD, and not having to change the DVD everytime I decide to watch a different one. Almost all my DVDs are of concerts and musicals. I usually like to skip from one title to another for my fav tracks. The PlayOhHD is the easiest way out.

Hey Ndroo,

can I ask you since you are on the subject of network players, there are so many of these kind of players in the market. How did you come about choosing PlayOhHD? I am looking around for one, but am simpy overwhelmed by the nos. of them

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by insanne View Post
    Hey Ndroo,

can I ask you since you are on the subject of network players, there are so many of these kind of players in the market. How did you come about choosing PlayOhHD? I am looking around for one, but am simpy overwhelmed by the nos. of them

Thanks!
    Hmm. I was actually using the cheaper WD one but it doesn't play from DVD folders. Then while hunting for a replacement, a friend recommended PlayOnHD. I didn't spend time on any research and bought it. So far so good.

Ermm ... I also don't support piracy. The reason why I'm doing it is because I wanna put all my DVDs into the PlayOnHD, and not having to change the DVD everytime I decide to watch a different one. Almost all my DVDs are of concerts and musicals. I usually like to skip from one title to another for my fav tracks. The PlayOhHD is the easiest way out.
    Hi ndroo... I use AppleTV. Normally, it is as simple as logging on to itunes store and select what you want and then buy & download and you can view it as many times as you want on your TV.

I understand your predicament but I believe if you google for it, it is not too difficult to find. Apologies but I wished I could be of more help.

Hi ndroo... I use AppleTV. Normally, it is as simple as logging on to itunes store and select what you want and then buy & download and you can view it as many times as you want on your TV.

I understand your predicament but I believe if you google for it, it is not too difficult to find. Apologies but I wished I could be of more help.
    Oh okay. Hmm. I thought we can't buy them stuffs from itunes from SG (yet). You using an US account?

There is so many cheap and good players in the market that can play almost 90% of all available formats, especially rmvb.

Why settle for something that has limited function, probably very restrictive capabilities and very likely much more expensive?

To be fair, I don't use AppleTV (and prob never will buy such a product), so my opinion of the limitations of the AppleTV maybe unreliable and inaccurate. However, I have used Apple iPhone and based on the way they designed the phone, I suspect their other products will be similar in nature too.

Nowadays, which phone(even low end ones) don't support basic function like bluetooth transfers(between different phones, computers) or external storage(micro SD for eg.). it also have limited media capability and cannot function as mass storage device easily. and you need to like spend and spend to add Apps to extend the functionality (althou there are free crippled versions of Apps available). Althou can be considered a high-tech and advanced product on one end, it is also like a purposely crippled product at the other end.
    Last edited by Limsgp; 12th April 2010 at 12:39 PM.

Yay! Problem solved. Used DVDFab7 and it copied all the contents without getting tricked into believing it is 50GB+. Actual size is only 6BG+

Do you use some "rip" commands or simply "copy" and it will auto detect and extract?

I guess, the actual video content maybe ony 5~6GB. and the different file simply represents the different audio tracks associated with the movie. So, to the player, if play track 1 means language A, and track B means language B. But when playing the disk will direct the player to read the video content from a particular area. Anyway, just speculations.. 50GB can fit 2 Full HD 1080P versions of the same movie on the HDD.. It'll be such a waste just to put a SD movie.

Yay! Problem solved. Used DVDFab7 and it copied all the contents without getting tricked into believing it is 50GB+. Actual size is only 6BG+

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Do you use some "rip" commands or simply "copy" and it will auto detect and extract?

I guess, the actual video content maybe ony 5~6GB. and the different file simply represents the different audio tracks associated with the movie. So, to the player, if play track 1 means language A, and track B means language B. But when playing the disk will direct the player to read the video content from a particular area. Anyway, just speculations.. 50GB can fit 2 Full HD 1080P versions of the same movie on the HDD.. It'll be such a waste just to put a SD movie.
    I used the copy full disc. The 50GB thingie ... impossible to fit that many in the DVD. So I guess it is some 'trick' by the DRM thingie to cause some chaos when copying direct using the explorer.

If it is really the DRM thing in works, the explorer would probably not be able to get any usable movie out "in one piece" at all..

I used the copy full disc. The 50GB thingie ... impossible to fit that many in the DVD. So I guess it is some 'trick' by the DRM thingie to cause some chaos when copying direct using the explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    If it is really the DRM thing in works, the explorer would probably not be able to get any usable movie out "in one piece" at all..
    Oh ... that was with AnyDVD running. I got all my DVDs 'out' from explorer with AnyDVD running.

Oh okay. Hmm. I thought we can't buy them stuffs from itunes from SG (yet). You using an US account?

Yup, I'm using US account. Got it when I was on assignment there for 1 year. Buying it is so hassle free. I'm using a mac and it is a no brainer to get appleTV for its ease of setup.

Good for you. I don't know about DVDFab7. I checked and found that it only runs on PC. I wonder why mac is left out.

Oh ... that was with AnyDVD running. I got all my DVDs 'out' from explorer with AnyDVD running.
    I am actually surprise AnyDVD could not successfully rip the DVD since SlySoft is the world leader with multiple time records in cracking and decoding HD-DVD Advanced Access Content System (AACS) and Blu-Ray BD+ DRM copy protection encryption.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast