Thread: russian/ m42 mount lenses

Arrow russian/ m42 mount lenses

hello all. 1st post in a long time.

anyways, decided to stick to b&w photography for the forseeable future...and am thinking of going the way of manual m42 lenses. would appreciate any help/ advice regarding these lenses.

am using a canon eos33 - i know about the metering issues and the mirror blockage thingy with the adaptor...but do i have anything else to worry about?

anywhere i can look for quality russian lenses? fotographix at chinatown point seems to be a name that crops up often.

thanks for help!

I remember reading from one of the site regarding using manual lens on canon eos body, "30 and 33 typically under expose a few stop." and "problem with spot metering when used with 1, 1n and 1rs."
    I have not use this kind of setup before, so cant advice if it is true.

However, I have used eos 50e with manual lens + adaptor, no problem with metering, except when you try to use it with TC or Extension Tube. WILL HANG THE CAMERA because there is the EF lens detector pins @ 10 o'clock position when viewing the camera lens mounting.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

I have used M42 lenses on my EOS cameras for almost 9 years. Most have worked well. Today, I use some of the on my EOS 10D.

A listmember was offering an Industar 50/2.8 L/D (closer-focus) ... its a good lens.

For potrait, the classic is the Jupiter-9 , 85/2 . Get the Mc version (post 1989 serial no.).

Other russian/soviet ones worth recommending are:

Zenitar 16/2.8 fisheye
    Industar 50/2.8 L/Z
    various 50mm lenses, mostly good.
    Helios-44M-6 or 7 (last variants, updated versions of old zeiss biotar 58/2)
    Helios-40-2, 85/1.5 in M42
    Apo-Telezenitar 135/2.8 (but at this price, may want to consider canon instead)
    Jupiter 37AM , 135/3.5
    Jupiter , 200/4.

thanks for pointing out these lenses. have had my eye on the zenitar 16mm and the jupiter 200/4 for a while now... actually these were the reasons why i wanted to venture into the manual lens arena.

is it advisable to purchase from ebay? or should i burn some shoe leather and scout out the usual photo stores in peninsula and adelphi?

well, if you feel safer looking locally, that works too... but the jupiter is not easy to find, and both generally not cheap when found. I saw some of the 16mm for as low as US$120 on ebay today.

Go for the more well known sellers like grizzly33bear, moscows etc.

Save on some shipping if you can buy both in the same shipment.

If you need an opinion on a seller, feel free to pm me off-line with a url.

dennis:
    I have come to learn that its detection is from the length of one of the bayonet tabs of the lensmount. By filing that tab shorter, the camera doesn't expect an electronic connection and won't hang.

To learn which one, put a canon lens and your adapter side-by-side and study which tab is shorter. Most adapters you buy already have that one tab shortened so the lenses you mount won't hang.

hmm..this seems interesting what do you think?

jupiter 200/4

Yes, I saw that auction too last night and was tempted to bid.
    However, on closer scrutiny I realised this may be the earlier pre-MC
    version.

re: seller... his feedback is good and probably he's ok, but I vaguely seem
    to recall less than flattering remarks about this seller in international fora (forum).

Another thing to note when buying lenses for use on non-screwmount cameras (like EOS)... you must have either a manual/auto switch , or a DOF preview switch ... else you can't stopdown the lens. The only way to correct this problem would be to
    modify the lens, or jam the pin in.

Another 200mm lens worth looking at for about the price of the jupiter is the
    newer Pentacon 200mm f4 MC.

If you got more $$$, check out the Zeiss Jena Sonnar 200/2.8 .

ah yes..the zeiss. was just looking at that, a little pricey tho. i think i shan't throw myself into the deep end just yet; i'll just dip my little toe in the water, so to speak. i think if i orde ri'll be using vpostusa, so i can give them a us postal address.

i use an eos 33, and yes, it does have both a an auto/manual switch and a dof preview. read about the 3-stop exposure compensation with this body, think i'll just make do by setting the film speed differently

Jupiter 200 is a famous len, just that it's quite large and heavy more then 1kg.
    Some ppl say it look like carrot :P
    TCW got 1 look very new think selling below $200.

Check it out -> http://www.tcn.ne.jp/~bochi/slg/gallery.htm

Copy from that site (not taken by me!):

--

This is how contrasty, smooth bokeh russian len can be
    Last edited by whoelse; 5th April 2004 at 02:44 PM.

no, no ...the switch must be on the lens.

Can ship direct... its quite ok. Have done it countless times.

Check out the late german MC Pentacon version, something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=12873

hey, BTW, someone passed me a non-working Pentax SMC Takumar 200mm f4.0 ... glass is very nice, but the focusing is out. The shops quoted me $70 to fix and service the lens. If you are interested, you can have it for $40 ... and spend the $70 to get it in-shape.

Can't go far wrong with a pentax lens.

I have a extra Industar 61-L/Z MC new in container.
    If u have a len u like to exchange, PM me.
    Any J-37 wanna exchange?

hey keltzar... when you say the focusing is off, do you mean the auto focusing?

no, no ...this is a Pentax SMC takumar lens for the old spotmatic M42 screwmount cameras. Better built than the german or russian lenses... and optically very very good. Betcha it will beat any current Canon zoom lens at 200mm.

This one is the earlier Super-takumar version:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4688

The SMC Takumar 200/4 looks identical but has multicoating.

ah i see. sorry i'm newbie at this exotic lens stuff i wouldn't mind taking this lens off your hands at your price (actually i'm kind of excited about it)... but i'm kind of busy with work till about end of month. if you don't mind will meet up with you to check the lens out sometime say after the 20th?

thanks

sure. where do you work?

I'm in no hurry. $40 isn't anything to lose sleep over. Once its fixed I think the value goes up to $150/180+.

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/helios.html

lookout for this lens. Wonderful piece of glass. Low contrast,
    great for potraits. sharpens up about f4.

I have one which I used for a wedding once (matched to my EOS 1N).

The bride said "these are the best photos of me ever taken".

Quote Originally Posted by Keltzar
    sure. where do you work?

I'm in no hurry. $40 isn't anything to lose sleep over. Once its fixed I think the value goes up to $150/180+.
    work as in... school work presently in nus. exam period now... but i'm staying in yishun.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltzar
    dennis:
    I have come to learn that its detection is from the length of one of the bayonet tabs of the lensmount. By filing that tab shorter, the camera doesn't expect an electronic connection and won't hang.

To learn which one, put a canon lens and your adapter side-by-side and study which tab is shorter. Most adapters you buy already have that one tab shortened so the lenses you mount won't hang.
    Hi Keltzar
    I have posted this option in a few website, seems like only 2 of us are looking into this issue.

I have also come to this conclussion. There is a lens detector pin at 10 o'clock position inside the lens mount of the camera. For those of you guys interested in detail of our discussion, pls refer to one of my posting.

Anyway, Keltzar, have you tried filing the tab. After which, does your TC still communicate with the EF lens? I am asking this because I am thinking of removing the detector pin in the camera once and for all.

Pls call me 92388366, would very much like to meet you for some disscusion, cant find any body else interested in this issue.

Any body used Carl Zeiss Jena Biometa (or some thing like that) 85mm f2.8? Any results to show? @S$350 for a new set in singapore, is it worth getting?