Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgent - need help for the explanation

Default Re: Urgent - need help for the explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    1. This is a school assignment, and as such, it's usually frowned upon to get others to find the answers for you. CS is not a "answer my homework" hotline.

2. If the TS paid attention in class, or took 5 minutes of time to search online, they'd have the answer.
    By starting this thread shows TS is trying to learn. It's nothing wrong clearing doubt by asking questions. Don't tell me u r alway so attentive in class tat u understand everything or if not, u only do ur research online & NEVER ask anybody any question? Come on lah...everyone is learning everyday, it's not necessary to b so sarcastic. U may never know some of ur questions may also sound 'stupid' to those who knows the answer n do u 1 2 be treated like TS? I do not 1 2 quarrel with anybody, jst think that some sarcastic remarks r not necessary..
    What u think is right may not b right. What u think is wrong may not b wrong.
    Be open minded..
    Last edited by SamPaul; 11th April 2010 at 10:43 PM.
    Canon 7D|50mm f1.4|100mm f2.8|10-22mm f3.5-4.5|17-55mm f2.8|70-200mm f4L|580EXII|Raynox 250DRC

Blog Entries

well. for others to sacar him its inevitable. i had faced the same treatment. nonetheless i respect them for at least taking time to reply. and certainly not return with another sacar remark.

But the thing is, they r not even answering the question!
    So don't expect others to repect u if u don't respect others..jst my 2cts..!
    Last edited by SamPaul; 11th April 2010 at 10:48 PM.
    Canon 7D|50mm f1.4|100mm f2.8|10-22mm f3.5-4.5|17-55mm f2.8|70-200mm f4L|580EXII|Raynox 250DRC

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    well. for others to sacar him its inevitable. i had faced the same treatment. nonetheless i respect them for at least taking time to reply. and certainly not return with another sacar remark.
    Sigh. What is inevitable does not mean its right. And having faced the same treatment should not mean you should agree with it.

School assignment or otherwise, questions should not be limited to just within the classroom and between instructions and students.

In fact, I would say the questions raised by the TS and answered helpfully by Catchlights (I think he is the among the few most likely to guide newbies along), helped me in my knowledge also. And that is what I think a forum should be, sharing of info.

I might be going OT, but I think newbies do get rounded on too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you need to use light meter, and white reflector, take an incident reading of the highlight area only, than take the incident reading of the shadow area only, move the reflector till you get two stops different between the highlight and shadow areas, than take another reading with the dome of the meter pointed at the camera, make an exposure with this final reading.

a good balance is the exposure of the background one and a half to two stops lower then the subject, you can rely on the flash TTL and camera meter reading, adjust your camera setting accordingly, OR use a hand held flash meter do your exposure manually.

FYI, camera can only have one WB, so you can't balance two different WB into one in your camera, however, you have to let one WB to be the dominating WB or you can gel one light source to make it balance with another light source.
    question 1 - I don't have a light meter. Can I get in close to take a reading with my cam for both the key and shadow?

question 2 - I don't have a reflector. Can I ask someone to hold my white polo-shirt?

question 3 - can I gel half/half or not?

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    question 1 - I don't have a light meter. Can I get in close to take a reading with my cam for both the key and shadow?
    short answer: Can.

long answer: just fill the frame or use spot metering mode, once get two stops exposure difference, you will have 1:4 ratio

question 2 - I don't have a reflector. Can I ask someone to hold my white polo-shirt?

long answer: as long it is neutral tone it reflects enough light, any object can use as reflector

question 3 - can I gel half/half or not?

long answer: balancing the exposures between subject and background are very much subject to a personal taste, there is no right or wrong balance.

btw, Uncle jopel is very experience, knowledgeable and respectable professional photographer, he is asking questions here to allow me to explain in more details on this subject. Thank you Uncle Jopel.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

long answer: just fill the frame or use spot metering mode, once get two stops exposure difference, you will have 1:4 ratio

long answer: as long it is neutral tone it reflects enough light, any object can use as reflector

long answer: balancing the exposures between subject and background are very much subject to a personal taste, there is no right or wrong balance.

btw, Uncle jopel is very experience, knowledgeable and respectable professional photographer, he is asking questions here to allow me to explain in more details on this subject. Thank you Uncle Jopel.
    I, lazy to google lah, I find clubsnap faster and better.

as for the last part your answer -

I, lazy to google lah, I find clubsnap faster and better.
    OIC, you are hinting something else.....

as for the last part your answer -
    I speak the truth, only the truth, nothing but the truth.

Sometimes, by replying to a question/newbie, you are indirectly also helping others (perhaps not in CS) as well. Because these people do Google for answers.

I think, at the end of the day, if you do not want to reply to a question/newbie, then don't reply. If want to reply, don't need to say" Try google"... Some people are not lazy, some just need urgent reply? And a forum is probably the fastest way to get some good answers sometimes...

just my 0.02cents.. no offence intended.
    May good light follow wherever you go

Quote Originally Posted by burningacid View Post
    Sometimes, by replying to a question/newbie, you are indirectly also helping others (perhaps not in CS) as well. Because these people do Google for answers.

I think, at the end of the day, if you do not want to reply to a question/newbie, then don't reply. If want to reply, don't need to say" Try google"... Some people are not lazy, some just need urgent reply? And a forum is probably the fastest way to get some good answers sometimes...

just my 0.02cents.. no offence intended.
    I don't agree with these...

when you ask a very technical question, the best way to get answers is just Google it, many such topics has done extensive research by highly qualified people, posted in the web with details background, explanation, application plus pictorial, and the search result is instantly, much faster than posting a thread in CS.

without a simple google search and post a question in the forum as such, is like telling people "I'm plain lazy, please sum it up and feed me!"

many people won't bother to reply,
    nice people will still reply,
    good people will teach him how to search,
    honest people will tell him go and fly kite.

I think the issue here is not about being helpful or rude. I for one, would be delighted to see experienced members helping newbies, and frown on rude and unhelpful replies (i.e. asking newbies to Google in almost all the replies, etc). The issue here is the TS is throwing a class assignment out and ask members in the forum to do his home work for him. To provide answer to him in this case is not helping him at all. (Not referring to catchlights' reply, catchlight has been a long time member on CS and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful, and I have great respect for him).

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    I think the issue here is not about being helpful or rude. I for one, would be delighted to see experienced members helping newbies, and frown on rude and unhelpful replies (i.e. asking newbies to Google in almost all the replies, etc). The issue here is the TS is throwing a class assignment out and ask members in the forum to do his home work for him. To provide answer to him in this case is not helping him at all. (Not referring to catchlights' reply, catchlight has been a long time member on CS and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful, and I have great respect for him).
    May or may not...
    I sometimes encounter problems understanding my kid's math questions, but by looking at the answer, it helps me to understand what the question is trying to ask..
    As to whether is spoon feeding or not, those who are willing to share will always be respected cos' their intention is good....

Thank you Catchlights....
    Last edited by SamPaul; 12th April 2010 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamPaul View Post
    By starting this thread shows TS is trying to learn. It's nothing wrong clearing doubt by asking questions.
    It looked like he posted his assignment problem/questions without anything more. He didn't show that he had put any thought into it, like coming up with more questions to explain which parts he didn't understand, or throwing up possible answers and asking for comments.

He also didn't say that this was some homework he had to do.

I won't say anything about his intentions, because that only he knows, but from reading the post, I won't fault anyone for thinking that he just wants someone to quickly give him an answer so he can hand in his assignment -- there is a difference between wanting to learn and just wanting the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    i disagree. i think it is not for us to speculate the agenda behind his questions i.e. whether ts is throwing class assignment here.

a question is asked and i think in the spirit of the forum is we should try to help (which catchlights did) and give him the benefit of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by watchthewaves View Post
    there is a difference between wanting to learn and just wanting the answer.
    bingo!!!
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    i disagree. i think it is not for us to speculate the agenda behind his questions i.e. whether ts is throwing class assignment here.
    Why speculate? The TS admitted this is their class assignment!
    Alpha

While I nv speculate the hidden agenda, if any..I still question his initiative by straight away saying "dun understand" and expect for a spoon-feeding session. If he asks more question on the parts of explanation provided, then it shd be more appropriate of a learner's attitude.

learn how to learn man... dun flame others who wana help you..
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 12th April 2010 at 01:58 PM.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12