Thread: Should I Change my SGD to Dong in HCM's airport?

Default Should I Change my SGD to Dong in HCM's airport?

Hi...im gg to ho chi minh in May and wonder should i change SGD over there? Coz not many moneychanger here sells Dong.

Another way is for me to change SGD to USD here and then use the USD to change to Dong in Vietnam? Which way is better?
    5DMk2

Default Re: Should I Change my SGD to Dong in HCM's airport?

change to USD then change once you get into the city in vietnam or out of the airport a little at least....
    rates at the airport tend to be pretty bad.

USD is pretty much international currency, i did that when i went to nepal, just took USD with me and changed a little money changer near my hotel..

HCM seems to be an exception, the exchange rate from SGD to Dong at the airport is better than money changers Singapore. There is a row of money changers/banks inside the Arrival Hall, with no other shops around, the public waiting area is outside the building.

Changing from SGD to USD to Dong will result in loss from the conversion. You can bring 50-100 USD in small denominations for small payments.

Many places can quote in both currencies, the shop can convert from one to another at about 1USD = 16500-17000 Dong, as of 1 year ago.
    Pentax K-5 K10D ME FA35 50f1.4 DA12-24 DA17-70, Tamron 70-200, Polar 85f1.4, Sigma 17-70
    My Flickr

hi...if you dont change at the airport, u can always change in the city itself. i stayed at the pham ngu lao district, lots of money changers with better rates than what i could get in singapore.

cheers

Yes changing at HCM's airport is a ok...much better than in SG.

Our clueless tour guide told us to change it in SG...after changing for S$1 to approx 11,000 dong, we saw that it was 12,500 dong at HCM airport...grrrrr

SGD seems to be quite readily accepted in HCMC and the rates are pretty good. Best place to change are the goldsmith shops in the city.

Just came back from HCMC. 1USD=19000dong.

PS... Must visit town area, Chu Chi Tunnel, and mekong delta... Can give cao dai a miss....

Fluctuates... but yes in the more inland areas USD would be your better bet. But since so many have vouched for the SGD in HCM I'm quite sure it'll be accepted there.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKKienlang View Post
    Just came back from HCMC. 1USD=19000dong.

PS... Must visit town area, Chu Chi Tunnel, and mekong delta... Can give cao dai a miss....
    Haha...yeah i will. Am gg to Mui Ne too..

Thanks all for the replies!
    5DMk2

I find that in vietnam the exchange rate is similar almost everywhere - whether airport or hotel, so don't worry too much about it.
    Shahrul Esa

Haha..alright. I think i will change some SGD to USD in singapore and then use my SGD to change to Dong in HCM airport then.
    5DMk2

Im based in HCMC now for the past month. My experience is as follows:

Airport rates lousy
    Local Vietnamese Bank Rates are good (better compared to Singapore money changers)
    Gold/Jewellery shops are best (just ask around any of the jewellery shops, they will usually want to change dong with you as they prefer holding a "safer" currency like SGD.
    Meow!

carry USD around but try not to trade with them, the people there tend to cheat you alittle while trading with that currency. the last time i went to Vietnam, the rates they offer at the airport is much better than that of Singapore's.

anyway, don't use the taxi service at the airport, cause it's probably 10times more expensive compared to that of a taxi on the roads.
    Canon EOS 550D
    Passion will make you crazy, but is there any other way to live?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZee View Post
    carry USD around but try not to trade with them, the people there tend to cheat you alittle while trading with that currency. the last time i went to Vietnam, the rates they offer at the airport is much better than that of Singapore's.

anyway, don't use the taxi service at the airport, cause it's probably 10times more expensive compared to that of a taxi on the roads.
    Hmm..if dont take taxi then how to get to the hotel? They run by meter?
    5DMk2

You can take the taxis. But make sure you flag the 2 more reliable ones like Mailinh or Vinasun. Don't use the ones that tout you. Also be very careful of the taxi names, as there are alot of "fake" taxis, like VinaTaxi, MaiLanh, etc..
    Meow!

you should change it at the tourist information center in the city. they have by far the best rates i've seen. rates r very close to the actual exchange rate in the market. not even bank rates or moneychanger rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post
    Hmm..if dont take taxi then how to get to the hotel? They run by meter?
    if you don't mind taking the public bus, you can catch a bus to the city from the budget terminal (just next to tan son nhat airport). it's only 3000d and takes abt 15mins. taxi will cost you around 150,000d and minibus 80,000d.

Was in Vietnam in Jan this year. The rate the airport is lower than what I got in S'pore. Changed in S'pore 1:13 whilst at the Airport was approx 1:12.5. Best is to change at the city.

I travel to HCMC for work for some time now. don't change at the airport of HCM, don't change at the hotels too. get to the city, just change along the street level money changer shops or any jewellery shops which sell gold. if you are holding on to SGD then stick to it and change it in vietnam. no point changing from SGD to USD then to VND. SGD is well accepted in HCM.

if you think that you need VND for taxi at the airport to the city, make sure you join the taxi queue for a valid metered taxi. should not cost you more than 200.000 VND to the city.

good luck.

Not sure how legal is this.... but my friends who had married Vietnam Bride... sworn that you will get great rates at any goldsmite shop in the city itself.... SingDollar will do nicer than USD... they claim that there is too many counterfeit USD around the world. SGD will be better.

Again.... how safe you feel is another matter all together....

Scuba & Father... For Life