Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 131

Thread: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

  1. #61
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy77 View Post
    bro... i guess he wont be able to read wat u written.. his account suspended liao... unless he create a new account again....
    just noted about the account suspended, FYI, a member account suspended still able to read the thread, but unable to post.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  2. #62

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    just noted about the account suspended, FYI, a member account suspended still able to read the thread, but unable to post.
    oh ok.. thanks for the infor... so bro catchlight, one of the bro asking when is the meet up session... u one to be one of the organiser to arrange for this meet up?

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    as for aspiring pros, or just started out, find a existing members as mentors, it can be accepted once the existing members have given recommendation.
    I see this being a problem though; theoretically a semi-pro is still a professional, unless you mean a full time professional. The latter is probably easier to define although how you stop people lying is anybody's guess.

    Would you draw the line at anybody who isn't already a full time pro? I can see how the system is going to get abused with recommendations, friends, etc... from what I know of the NPS and CPS system in Singapore it leans towards being inclusive - it's much stricter over here for example.

    And how many people who feel they qualified because they shoot one event a fortnight, or even a year...

  4. #64

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    I see this being a problem though; theoretically a semi-pro is still a professional, unless you mean a full time professional. The latter is probably easier to define although how you stop people lying is anybody's guess.

    Would you draw the line at anybody who isn't already a full time pro? I can see how the system is going to get abused with recommendations, friends, etc... from what I know of the NPS and CPS system in Singapore it leans towards being inclusive - it's much stricter over here for example.

    And how many people who feel they qualified because they shoot one event a fortnight, or even a year...
    yah i agree with bro Jed has raise out.... this drawing of line of who is the "real pro" has been the main talking point since the starting of this thread.... look like we got more issues to tackle...

  5. #65
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    I see this being a problem though; theoretically a semi-pro is still a professional, unless you mean a full time professional. The latter is probably easier to define although how you stop people lying is anybody's guess.

    Would you draw the line at anybody who isn't already a full time pro? I can see how the system is going to get abused with recommendations, friends, etc... from what I know of the NPS and CPS system in Singapore it leans towards being inclusive - it's much stricter over here for example.

    And how many people who feel they qualified because they shoot one event a fortnight, or even a year...
    I'm don't quite understand why would people want to fake it, perhaps this is about the way I were raised.

    how could ones able to fake among the real working photographers, we are talking about an inner circle, where everybody is looking at one another closely at all time, maybe short term possible, one day everything will be exposed.
    beside, who will endorse somebody if he/she is not 100% confident with?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #66
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy77 View Post
    oh ok.. thanks for the infor... so bro catchlight, one of the bro asking when is the meet up session... u one to be one of the organiser to arrange for this meet up?
    I'm usually a follower.... not very good in leading.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #67

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy77 View Post
    bro... i guess he wont be able to read wat u written.. his account suspended liao... unless he create a new account again....
    when your account is suspended, he still can access the forum, he just cannot post.

    i should know, i've been suspended before.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I'm don't quite understand why would people want to fake it, perhaps this is about the way I were raised.

    how could ones able to fake among the real working photographers, we are talking about an inner circle, where everybody is looking at one another closely at all time, maybe short term possible, one day everything will be exposed.
    beside, who will endorse somebody if he/she is not 100% confident with?
    well bro catchlight.. maybe the reason why some might want to fake to get in as they would like to know the ongoing discussion u guys will be having thus they will then be able to do watsoever dirty/underhand stuffs loh....

    well i forsee in short term, yes u might be able to detect who is fake one... but as times pass and the group getting bigger, i guess it hard to monitor.. coz there bound to have misscommunication breakdown between those who recommend and those who give approval...

    just my 2cent comments....

  9. #69

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I'm usually a follower.... not very good in leading.
    oh kekekee... me too... i prefer a follower roles... so guess we shall wait for " The special One" to lead us...... and arrange for us....

  10. #70

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    when your account is suspended, he still can access the forum, he just cannot post.

    i should know, i've been suspended before.
    oops..... ok... guess it a hard way to learn a lesson ....

  11. #71

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    I do support for such a steps, as it will be great to share and learn among practicing professionals.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  12. #72

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    As i dun like to talk and do nothing, possible to fix a date and time??

    Location can be some body studio, like mine? As near MRT.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  13. #73

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy77 View Post
    yah i agree with bro Jed has raise out.... this drawing of line of who is the "real pro" has been the main talking point since the starting of this thread.... look like we got more issues to tackle...
    I suppose as long as the person's livelihood depends on photography can be considered as one of the factors.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    just spoke to another photographer, he suggest using facebook, which i dunno can work or not.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  15. #75

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    I suppose as long as the person's livelihood depends on photography can be considered as one of the factors.
    this i agreed.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  16. #76

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    just spoke to another photographer, he suggest using facebook, which i dunno can work or not.
    ya hor... maybe we can start using facebook!!!....

  17. #77

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?


    Guys, I'm going to cut short this conversation. A lot of these issues can be discussed when we meet.
    I suggest we meet on either 24th April Saturday afternoon 4pm or 25th April Sunday afternoon 4pm.

    Let's meet at Orchard Central Spinellis or Quiznos.

    Please start a list of your nickname + phone number + preferred day
    On the day itself we can firstly:

    Introduce ourselves and what we do
    Discuss the possibilities of a forum
    Discuss how to sustain a conversation in such a forum


    Attending:
    1) mattlock Sat or Sun
    2)
    Last edited by mattlock; 15th April 2010 at 03:24 PM.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    This is a great idea. If I may contribute some humble views; if the mission/aim of the forum is clear, then there might be less concerns or disputes on who can get in and who cannot.

    IMHO, most would agree that there is a big frustration over the lack of value for professional photography locally. The forum should be something that aims to help and add value to the profession on the whole.

    If semi pros and hobbyists wanting to earn more pocket money have more insights to the industry and get to learn how to behave and protect the industry, they would perhaps start to behave like the pros and conduct their business like pros.

    Then perhaps there will be less undercutting and devaluation.

    Just for a simple example a hobbyist can make an album and sell it at 25% above cost and feel that he is earning an honest living and that the full time pros are so greedy as to sell the same album at 3 times the price. But as hobbyists he might not realize the real cost is actually much much higher. He starts undercutting like a self righteous hero, damaging the market, killing himself. By the time he realized, its too late, his out of the game and moved onto other occupations but the damage to the industry remains.

    Things might have a chance to be different, if he has proper resources guiding him to do the right thing...

    Just saying... not to offend anyone.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  19. #79
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    Guys, I'm going to cut short this conversation. A lot of these issues can be discussed when we meet.
    I suggest we meet on either 24th April Saturday afternoon 4pm or 25th April Sunday afternoon 4pm.

    Let's meet at Orchard Central Spinellis or Quiznos.

    Please start a list of your nickname + phone number + preferred day
    On the day itself we can firstly:

    Introduce ourselves and what we do
    Discuss the possibilities of a forum
    Discuss how to sustain a conversation in such a forum


    Attending:
    1) mattlock Sat or Sun
    2) hotwork77 Sat
    Sorry for being a mountain tortise but where is Quiznos. BTW will the forum be known as ClubSNAP Pro?
    Last edited by hotwork77; 15th April 2010 at 03:40 PM.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  20. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default Re: Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I'm don't quite understand why would people want to fake it, perhaps this is about the way I were raised.
    For the very reason that there is a password/it's a restricted circle. And many who feel that they are semi-pro and therefore are pro and therefore should be let in.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    how could ones able to fake among the real working photographers, we are talking about an inner circle, where everybody is looking at one another closely at all time, maybe short term possible, one day everything will be exposed.
    It's definitely harder to fake if the line is drawn at full time pros. But I don't know about everything will be exposed... it's plenty possible to just lurk and not say anything.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •