Thread: Lens hood

Default Lens hood

Hi CSers,

I have this question in mind, does mounting hood affects your pic or with or without doesnt make a difference?
    Last edited by czcsean; 8th April 2010 at 03:28 AM.
    Canon 5DmkII, 35mm /2, 50mm /1.4

Default Re: Lens hood

Lens hood is use to reduce flare and protect the front of the lens from accidental "knock" by object or people.

http://digital-photography-school.co...ing-lens-flare

on telezooms, the hood is effective as a protector as well

but for kit or any lens with wide angle, the hood is a short one to avoid vignetting, so it does not work well as a protector against bumps

HTH
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Downside of using lens hood is that it's almost impossible to take Canon's lens cap on or off with the hood attached. Would be better if the caps can be pinched from the front instead of from the edge.

another downside... cant rotate CPL or cannot use ND filters..
    Blood is Red for a reason. Liverpool for life.

Quote Originally Posted by neech7 View Post
    Downside of using lens hood is that it's almost impossible to take Canon's lens cap on or off with the hood attached. Would be better if the caps can be pinched from the front instead of from the edge.
    When the lens hood is mounted there is no real need for a lens cap anymore. I know I'm not the only one who even puts a lens into lens bag with hood mounted and no cap. It's just easier / faster and nothing happens to the lens. Beside this: there are no-brand center pinch ens caps for a few bucks.
    EOS

I usually use mine when outside and theres strong sunlight. Usually when indoors I usually don't use it, but if I forsee alot of people knocking into my lens, maybe I'll put it on.
    Meow!

Quote Originally Posted by czcsean View Post
    Hi CSers,

I have this question in mind, does mounting hood affects your pic or with or without doesnt make a difference?
    No it doesnt directly affect ur image output at all..
    Unless when used pop up flash, it might cast a undesired shadow in the shade of ur hood.

Main purpose for it usage is to mimimize lens flare and general protection..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    When the lens hood is mounted there is no real need for a lens cap anymore. I know I'm not the only one who even puts a lens into lens bag with hood mounted and no cap. It's just easier / faster and nothing happens to the lens. Beside this: there are no-brand center pinch ens caps for a few bucks.
    Hmm, doesn't leaving the cap off all the time make for a dusty front glass?

i wonder how many people wrote 'do a search' and then were like.. oh.. wait a minute..

I have problems in using the lens hood also. Some of my shots are affected or blocked especially the four corners. Is it a natural problem for those using the lens hood?
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by jed091270 View Post
    I have problems in using the lens hood also. Some of my shots are affected or blocked especially the four corners. Is it a natural problem for those using the lens hood?
    Hmm? Are you using thirdparty or original canon hoods? The made by canon ones should not cause additional vignetting
    Meow!

Quote Originally Posted by rgy1993 View Post
    i wonder how many people wrote 'do a search' and then were like.. oh.. wait a minute..
    do a google search.

It happen when u use a 3rd party hood and didn't screw in totally . I used to have this problem too.

U try to screw to the max and see if the problem remain . If remain , maybe the hood design is for some others focus lens
    Last edited by Supersimon27; 8th April 2010 at 01:12 PM.

If you're using a third party lens hood it MAY cause additional vignetting. However if you're using the original lens hood that is meant for your lens there shouldn't be any problem. Probably, you did not attach and screw your lens hood tightly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by neech7 View Post
    Hmm, doesn't leaving the cap off all the time make for a dusty front glass?
    It takes lot of dust (and I mean really a lot, not just some lints) to affect image quality. If your camera bag has so much dust it's time to wash it. Many people also have a small blower in the bag, takes a few seconds to remove any dust.
    EOS