Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Macro shooters gatherings(Part 4)-Hort Park/Southern Ridges-8 May 2010

Default Re: Macro shooters gatherings(Part 4)-Hort Park/Southern Ridges-8 May 2010

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    1)cleonbus
    2)kyl191
    3)Sheaffey
    4)tavy
    5)Chester
    6)mhmusic
    7)ScorpioBell
    8)korbidp3k
    9)papajanggo33
    10)Minerva
    11)angie707
    12)
    13)
    14)
    15)
    Above section is still open

Maybe coming:

1)JC1808 (Jane)
    2)engrmariano (Marco)
    3)Jedi R (Rick)
    4)soons
    5)Zephryl
    This section is closed!!!

Next person who wants to join use this post and reply with quote
    Hi Cleon,

Got my macrocoupler....will be testing it out at hort park.... do I move my name to the confirmed name list?
    Carpe Diem & Capture the moments

Deregistered

Default Re: Macro shooters gatherings(Part 4)-Hort Park/Southern Ridges-8 May 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Zephryl View Post
    Hi Cleon,

Got my macrocoupler....will be testing it out at hort park.... do I move my name to the confirmed name list?
    No need.Just leave your name in 'maybe coming' category

Deregistered

1)cleonbus
    2)kyl191
    3)Sheaffey
    4)tavy
    5)Chester
    6)mhmusic
    7)ScorpioBell
    8)korbidp3k
    9)papajanggo33
    10)Minerva
    11)angie707
    12)
    13)
    14)
    15)

Maybe coming:

1)JC1808 (Jane)
    2)engrmariano (Marco)
    3)Jedi R (Rick)
    4)soons
    5)Zephryl

can i know what is the difference between 50mm f/1.8 and Raynox DCR 250?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ivorytan View Post
    50mm f1.8 is a lens and Raynox is a 'so called' magnifying glass??? which allows you to get closer to your subject

Sorry can someone explain the Raynox.I just don't know how to explain this

Ivory,maybe you can join this outing then i can explain this to you?

haha.. wanted to join but fall on my working day.. will try to arrange. Anyway have not get Raynox 250 (poison)..

50 F1.8 is a lens, it has electronics parts. And it allows you to use it when you mount it to a camera body, where the electronic parts will give you Auto Focus, etc... Every lens has a minimium focusing distance (MFD), where if the distance from subject to the camera sensor is any closer than the MFD it will not be able to focus. For this example let's just assume the 50 F1.8 has a MFD of 1m (making this up for this example)

A Raynox 250 on the other hand is a attachment you put in front of a lens. It's made up of glass elements but is not a lens. Essentially it's a Diopter, a +8 Diopter. Call it a magnifying glass if you like. It doesn't have any electronic parts and you don't mount it to a camera body. But when you attach it to the front of the lens, it reduces the focal distance to that which is less than the MFD. So in this case, since it's a +8 Diopter, you will need to object to be at least 12.5 cm (1/8) infront of your Raynox. Simply put, since now the object is alot closer than before from your camera sensor (12.5cm Vs 1m), the image captured is 'magnified'.

And this is the objective of macro photography - to capture things which are relatively small sized so that it 'appears' relatively big on your sensor.

oh.. ic. Thanks for the detail explanation. hmm.. not sure raynox 250 suitable for me or not. But i love the result from cs kaki. Think i being poison by them already.. haha

Quote Originally Posted by sci80899 View Post
    50 F1.8 is a lens, it has electronics parts. And it allows you to use it when you mount it to a camera body, where the electronic parts will give you Auto Focus, etc... Every lens has a minimium focusing distance (MFD), where if the distance from subject to the camera sensor is any closer than the MFD it will not be able to focus. For this example let's just assume the 50 F1.8 has a MFD of 1m (making this up for this example)

A Raynox 250 on the other hand is a attachment you put in front of a lens. It's made up of glass elements but is not a lens. Essentially it's a Diopter, a +8 Diopter. Call it a magnifying glass if you like. It doesn't have any electronic parts and you don't mount it to a camera body. But when you attach it to the front of the lens, it reduces the focal distance to that which is less than the MFD. So in this case, since it's a +8 Diopter, you will need to object to be at least 12.5 cm (1/8) infront of your Raynox. Simply put, since now the object is alot closer than before from your camera sensor (12.5cm Vs 1m), the image captured is 'magnified'.

And this is the objective of macro photography - to capture things which are relatively small sized so that it 'appears' relatively big on your sensor.
    Hey dude,

after so much talk, are u coming along for this trip ? Im gonna couple my 70-300vr with my 50 f/1.8, tried it at still objects and got a good magnification ratio of 3:1 at 150mm and no vignetting at 200mm (4:1). but I need long exposure w/ no flash as my inbuilt flash will be clipped by the top of my lens. do u think an external flash would help in getting a faster shutter? what is the typical aperture used for taking macros?

Quote Originally Posted by Zephryl View Post
    Hey dude,

after so much talk, are u coming along for this trip ? Im gonna couple my 70-300vr with my 50 f/1.8, tried it at still objects and got a good magnification ratio of 3:1 at 150mm and no vignetting at 200mm (4:1). but I need long exposure w/ no flash as my inbuilt flash will be clipped by the top of my lens. do u think an external flash would help in getting a faster shutter? what is the typical aperture used for taking macros?
    haha, let me check my schedule. I didn't know ivorytan was asking about mounting a reversed 50 F1.8 for macro.

For reverse lens, the focusing distance is really quite short, resulting in less light hitting the sensor. You'll need a external flash, preferably mounted on a flash bracket. Else I think SB600/800/900/Nissin series can be triggered wireless using the in-built camera flash, so you can consider holding the flash in your hand.

I typically shoot my macros between F16 - F22. At 3:1, your DOF is gonna be very thin. Also if you can - bring a monopod for the outing, should help to give you some stability.

Deregistered

oh.. ic. Thanks for the detail explanation. hmm.. not sure raynox 250 suitable for me or not. But i love the result from cs kaki. Think i being poison by them already.. haha
    Raynox is suitable for most lenses.From what i saw at the last outing at AP,i suppose you are using Canon 550D with 18-135mm?

Deregistered

haha, let me check my schedule. I didn't know ivorytan was asking about mounting a reversed 50 F1.8 for macro.

For reverse lens, the focusing distance is really quite short, resulting in less light hitting the sensor. You'll need a external flash, preferably mounted on a flash bracket. Else I think SB600/800/900/Nissin series can be triggered wireless using the in-built camera flash, so you can consider holding the flash in your hand.

I typically shoot my macros between F16 - F22. At 3:1, your DOF is gonna be very thin. Also if you can - bring a monopod for the outing, should help to give you some stability.
    You shoot macros?Everytime go SBWR you'll always put on your 400mm with 1.4x TC to shoot birds.How to shoot macros?

I think bringing a tripod will be better.Still dunno whether want to bring my tripod or not

Deregistered

Coming:

1)cleonbus
    2)kyl191
    3)Sheaffey
    4)tavy
    5)Chester
    6)mhmusic
    7)ScorpioBell
    8)korbidp3k
    9)papajanggo33
    10)Minerva
    11)angie707
    12)
    13)
    14)
    15)

Maybe coming:

1)JC1808 (Jane)
    2)engrmariano (Marco)
    3)Jedi R (Rick)
    4)soons
    5)Zephryl

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    You shoot macros?Everytime go SBWR you'll always put on your 400mm with 1.4x TC to shoot birds.How to shoot macros?

I think bringing a tripod will be better.Still dunno whether want to bring my tripod or not
    You have no idea what I shoot, especially in the dark...lolz

I find using reverse lens setup with tripod a little hard.

You have no idea what I shoot, especially in the dark...lolz

I find using reverse lens setup with tripod a little hard.
    This is very true... my object needs to be almost like just 2-3cm away from the tip of my rear element of my 50 f/1.8 ... it will do if there is no wind or that the insect or whatever it is is lifeless and not moving but the magnification ratio is a plus point... so maybe i cant hunt a few dead insects make them pose a lively posture and pass off as if they are alive.. .

hi guy! I think i will be going most probably. Cleonbus? Wat's ur facebook? I only got zhi hua. lolz

What about non-macro shooters who are interested in walking the Hort Park trail? Are we allowed to join?
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    What about non-macro shooters who are interested in walking the Hort Park trail? Are we allowed to join?
    Yes allowed but do note that we might walk quite slow(as in sometimes will stop for 5 mins)to take pictures(macro)

BTW guys,do bring along a wide-angle lens(11-18/11-16/18-55/17-40 etc...)as there are some landscapes to take too

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    hi guy! I think i will be going most probably. Cleonbus? Wat's ur facebook? I only got zhi hua. lolz
    My FB is Cleon Bong.Picture is the same spongebob as CS one

Deregistered

Coming:

1)cleonbus
    2)kyl191
    3)Sheaffey
    4)tavy
    5)Chester
    6)mhmusic
    7)ScorpioBell
    8)korbidp3k
    9)papajanggo33
    10)Minerva
    11)angie707