Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Soliloquy

  1. #1
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Soliloquy



    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition. Whether it would be better to crop off any of the sides (and from which angle - left, top left, bottom left, right?). How I can achieve what I want in #2. Would it be better if I had left it in colour (click link to picture for original colour version)?


    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Convey the same sense of somethingness (loneliness? sadness? remorseful? just thinking? break from work?) that the single person in the picture is feeling, and set the reader wondering about the subject.

    I wanted to maintain the large spaced area in the photo thus I did not crop off from any sides (breaking rule of 1/3 for subject).


    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    It was raining outside of Suntec, there was a wide secluded area and I had my ultra wide angle with me when I saw the person, just hanging there for a long time. I converted the colour picture to B&W to increase the mystery of what the subject in the picture is actually thinking.


    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Why else would I put a picture up for critique if I didn't like it, or thought it had potential. Hahaha.

  2. #2
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,837

    Default Re: Soliloquy

    i feel that the subject is too small... i see more building structure then the human subject maybe go up closer?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Soliloquy

    why did u not want to crop away the open area on the right?

    i think it conveys ur idea pretty well...though the buildings, lights, etc will distract viewer after awhile..

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,600

    Default Re: Soliloquy

    Hmm.... not well executed. There are too many elements contesting for attention, your proposition seemed to be lost in these distractions.

  5. #5
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Soliloquy

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    i feel that the subject is too small... i see more building structure then the human subject maybe go up closer?
    Quote Originally Posted by nysheng View Post
    why did u not want to crop away the open area on the right?

    i think it conveys ur idea pretty well...though the buildings, lights, etc will distract viewer after awhile..
    Pretty much the question I am asking also - should I crop, and if so, from which side.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Hmm.... not well executed. There are too many elements contesting for attention, your proposition seemed to be lost in these distractions.
    The left side of the picture is a wee too bright? Do you think it might help if I toned that down, or should I run a crop on the pix?

    Just wondering if I saw someone standing there for a long time in such an open space... what should I do with the subject?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Soliloquy

    like i always say, must correct verticals :P

    if you do that with a 1.2 deg anti clockwise rotation before using lens distort tool, it comes out fine.

    composition wise, first and foremost, your subject is not standing out quite enough. one reason is the angle, another reason is the moment, another reason could be the bnw conversion, and perhaps the last is the weight given to it, but not necessarily so. do you have the color image?

    next, LHS has a nice lead in line to your subject, but somehow it is not dynamic enough, hence i might consider just moving to the right and making that leading line a parallel one. moving left might work too though, i won't know until i am there with your camera and lens.

  7. #7
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Soliloquy

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    like i always say, must correct verticals :P

    if you do that with a 1.2 deg anti clockwise rotation before using lens distort tool, it comes out fine.

    composition wise, first and foremost, your subject is not standing out quite enough. one reason is the angle, another reason is the moment, another reason could be the bnw conversion, and perhaps the last is the weight given to it, but not necessarily so. do you have the color image?

    next, LHS has a nice lead in line to your subject, but somehow it is not dynamic enough, hence i might consider just moving to the right and making that leading line a parallel one. moving left might work too though, i won't know until i am there with your camera and lens.
    Yep, the colour image will appear if click on the B&W picture (I made a link to it). Err.. what is LHS?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Soliloquy

    left hand side

  9. #9
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Soliloquy

    Okay, distortion tools out for now... tried looking for it in Lightroom and can't find it, so might consider DPP or PTlens later. Instead, I made the correct to the general big area on the left rather than my initial correction which was the border near where the lady was standing.

    Take 2 - colour choices in changing to B&W to brighten/darken selective areas


    Take 3 - above + crop + clarity[-55]

  10. #10
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,600

    Default Re: Soliloquy

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The left side of the picture is a wee too bright? Do you think it might help if I toned that down, or should I run a crop on the pix?

    Just wondering if I saw someone standing there for a long time in such an open space... what should I do with the subject?
    I would actually further isolate the person from the sorrounding context. Either moving in closer or use a telephoto. Cropping might work though.

  11. #11
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Soliloquy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I would actually further isolate the person from the sorrounding context. Either moving in closer or use a telephoto. Cropping might work though.
    Hmm... okie. Then it'll just be a normal shot though. Any other suggestion how I might isolate the person without losing all that big space (which is actually why I took the pix in the first place)?

    Actually I went back and looked at the colour version of the photo as suggested by naimeh and now I think that may be why I took the pix in the first place

    (w/o the above adjustments, but I did make it warmer)

  12. #12
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,600

    Default Re: Soliloquy

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Hmm... okie. Then it'll just be a normal shot though. Any other suggestion how I might isolate the person without losing all that big space (which is actually why I took the pix in the first place)?
    Then you reall need to study the entire scene in detail to avoid surrounding elements contesting for attention. Its not easy and might not work everytime. Sometimes, you need to ba a little flexible to response to the scene. There's not much point trying to force a proposition onto a scene which is not suitable to begin with.

  13. #13
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Soliloquy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Then you reall need to study the entire scene in detail to avoid surrounding elements contesting for attention. Its not easy and might not work everytime. Sometimes, you need to ba a little flexible to response to the scene. There's not much point trying to force a proposition onto a scene which is not suitable to begin with.
    Yeap, got it thanks.

  14. #14
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Soliloquy

    not sure what else to do with the photos except err.. try PTLens

    Take 4


    Take 5

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •