View Poll Results: Which Camera?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • GF1

    21 36.84%
  • 550D

    36 63.16%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

  1. #41
    Member BeeMan1024's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    East Side Story
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Don't let other decide for you ....

    Go test it yourself ... read up ... and decide ...

    as for me ... GF1 ...goes where I go ..

    Capture where I wanted to ....

    MHO ... if it bother you to take it out with ... then don't buy it.

    Freezing time with a shot is important to me even if I have to use a 800k pixel camera ...

    Have fun ...

  2. #42

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    I had the same predicament. Evaluated both, liked both.
    Then thought of having the 550D around my neck when I went for holidays....bought the GF1

    DOwn to individual preference and requirement really. Both gave terrific image quality. I have the pancake and the 14-45mm. hardly use the 14-45 really. The pancake allows me to have my camera with me all the time, everyday :-) as a result I am able to shoot more often and take advantage of any opportunity that arises! Office birthday party, gathering, impromptu lunch gathering!!

    Try doing that with your 550D :-)

  3. #43
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ARWOGWB View Post
    I had the same predicament. Evaluated both, liked both.
    Then thought of having the 550D around my neck when I went for holidays....bought the GF1

    DOwn to individual preference and requirement really. Both gave terrific image quality. I have the pancake and the 14-45mm. hardly use the 14-45 really. The pancake allows me to have my camera with me all the time, everyday :-) as a result I am able to shoot more often and take advantage of any opportunity that arises! Office birthday party, gathering, impromptu lunch gathering!!

    Try doing that with your 550D :-)
    you mean a DSLR like 550D can't be used at impromptu gatherings?

    If you mean that the small size of the GF1 allows you to carry it around EVERYWHERE you go, in your trouser pocket, then ok I agree with you.
    But if the GF1 still requires an additional bag, then I put it to you that I can similiarly carry an entry-level DSLR everywhere, albeit in a slightly larger (but no less comfortable/convenient) bag.
    Exploring! :)

  4. #44

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    you mean a DSLR like 550D can't be used at impromptu gatherings?

    If you mean that the small size of the GF1 allows you to carry it around EVERYWHERE you go, in your trouser pocket, then ok I agree with you.
    But if the GF1 still requires an additional bag, then I put it to you that I can similiarly carry an entry-level DSLR everywhere, albeit in a slightly larger (but no less comfortable/convenient) bag.
    As I carry a tote bag around everyday, I just need to dump it into my bag and carry it around everyday. For GF1 with pancake lens, I don't even need to get an extra bag for it.

  5. #45
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by blinkblink View Post
    As I carry a tote bag around everyday, I just need to dump it into my bag and carry it around everyday. For GF1 with pancake lens, I don't even need to get an extra bag for it.
    yup I agree with you.
    I think, however, that only GF1 + 20/1.7 pancake is a small combo...
    but I could never bring myself to paying > $1K for a camera that really only meets its intended function in 1 particular configuration.
    You wouldn't be able to fit GF1 + kit lens into your tote bag, would you?

    Maybe someone could enlighten me on the reasons why people buy a camera like the GF1. It's certainly popular, so perhaps I'm the odd one out who thinks it doesn't make sense.

    reasons to buy a GF1 over a conventional DSLR like 550D:
    1) smaller size
    2) lighter weight
    3) .....?
    Exploring! :)

  6. #46

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    such topics always end up having

    1) DSLR users backing up with the DSLR (in this case, 550D) choice.
    2) Compact users backing up with the compact (in this case, GF1) choice.
    2) Users owning both DSLR and compact (could be none of the above mentioned) giving pros and cons for both and tells TS to choose for himself.


    so.................

    what ah?

  7. #47
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeeey View Post
    such topics always end up having

    1) DSLR users backing up with the DSLR (in this case, 550D) choice.
    2) Compact users backing up with the compact (in this case, GF1) choice.
    2) Users owning both DSLR and compact (could be none of the above mentioned) giving pros and cons for both and tells TS to choose for himself.


    so.................

    what ah?
    But GF-1 is not considered compact leh. It is not that compact with other lenses attached. I mean if only going to use the 20mm pancake all the time, might as well get one of those Ricoh fixed lens compact, or something like an LX3. Or you can wait for this camera. Compact with aperture range of F1.8-F2.4.

    Actually to me, what seems most attractive to me is that there are so many adapters out there for the m4/3 system. You will be able to use many old rangefinder lenses from Leica M, Contax G, voigtlander, Cosina... etc... That is the biggest attraction for me now. And I have some old rangefinders and lenses... *drool*
    Last edited by daredevil123; 13th April 2010 at 12:52 AM.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    yup I agree with you.
    I think, however, that only GF1 + 20/1.7 pancake is a small combo...
    but I could never bring myself to paying > $1K for a camera that really only meets its intended function in 1 particular configuration.
    You wouldn't be able to fit GF1 + kit lens into your tote bag, would you?

    Maybe someone could enlighten me on the reasons why people buy a camera like the GF1. It's certainly popular, so perhaps I'm the odd one out who thinks it doesn't make sense.

    reasons to buy a GF1 over a conventional DSLR like 550D:
    1) smaller size
    2) lighter weight
    3) .....?
    I guess the best camera is one that you'll bring it around to take pictures. No doubt the conventional DSLR does produce better pictures, but its weight is something that bothers me. Being petite and having bad shoulder, I know that I won't want to carry it around constantly which is why I keep putting off the idea of getting a DSRL untill GF1 came along. Another reason of getting GF1 is that it doesn't scream DSLR. It's especially useful when taking street photography. Some ppl just don't like ppl sticking a DSRL in their face... I know I don't..

    End of the day, there's no perfect camera.. only one that suits individual lifestyle.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Hello,

    I just returned from Europe tour with the Canon S90 (wife) and GF1 with 14-45kit lens and 20mm. Within the tour; are people using so many kinds of cameras: compacts to m4/3 to DSLR. I got to play with all of them including a Canon 7D.

    I thought I'd be using the 20mm lens only but end up 70% shots are taken with the kit lens. The buildings can't fit into the 20mm and often, I don't want the background to bokeh. Anyway, I was the only guy kept changing lens at every photosite. Point is: You will need wide angle for tours to capture the beauty of the places you visit - be it trees or buildings.

    So not much difference between carrying a bag with 2 lenses vs a DSLR.

    The DSLR guys were hardly changing lens - even though they brought lenses - they are happy with the lens range.

    I was intriqued by their DSLR systems as they were mine. They played with my GF1 a lot too. One family had both DSLR and GF1 and were happy with them.

    The thing is I often dream of getting the EOS 550D. I cannot decide between size and IQ....
    My colleague has a D90 but always borrows my camera as he does not always have his around. But whenever he brings the D90, the bokeh and iso performance will kill mine.

    BTW, another friend just bought a Canon 550D so now I get to use both D90 and 550D as we often shoot together.

    My summary would be:
    1) I find wide angle useful for tours.
    2) GF1 slight mobility advantage (not so tough to carry 2 lens around)
    3) DSLR can handle extreme situations better.

    In ample light, I can't tell the difference between Canon 7D and GF1 test shots that I conducted. In low light, it is a different story - the DSLR still can use the kit zoom lens with f3.5. The GF1 needs to change lens to 20mm f1.7. That's the reason I kept changing lens, only one advantage it served - my pictures looked different even at same location and adds an unintended pleasant surprise.

    If you need the performance in extreme situations and lens option? 550D is the answer.
    If slight mobility means so much,.. then GF1 or other M4/3 / NX10.

    I don't even know,.. I may change to Canon 550D tomorrow.. not sure.
    Last edited by wksoh; 1st May 2010 at 09:16 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •